Lockheed SR-71/YF-12 Blackbird

Took these when one came in to Pearson International for the annual CNE Airshow, I think it was either '82 or '83

scan0001.jpg

SR-712.jpg

Leaking fuel again!

SR-713.jpg

Note the tape over the canopy seams to prevent rain water from getting in:

SR-714.jpg

Pilot Lt. Col. Maury Rosenberg and his RSO Col. Don Bulloch

SR-715.jpg

Chatting with another pilot and a ground crewman before the flight

SR-716.jpg

Note the HABU patch, this guy has been places!

SR-717.jpg

Edited by The Rat

I was there for the day of the Blackbird gathering - top photo. Erik Hildebrant (IIRC), the AF photographer and myself were the 3 people allowed to take pictures from the stand. I shot half a roll and then enjoyed a few precious seconds trying to take in the beauty of the view :cheers:

I also happened to be at both the retirement ceremony and one of the last launches from Beale AFB. Have quite a few pictures from those and a few other days but I'll be a while before I have the time to finish putting them on photobucket to be able to post here...

I'm really excited about our sheet. It's got both some cool historical stuff with a few of the 'last' Blackbirds. I'll post more in our forum when I know what the release date is but I'm itching to finish that big Testors kit I started back in the 90s!

-brian

Guys, here's a bit more inspiration. I was just looking around for some YF-12 stuff and stumbled upon this:

www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/pdf/88796main_YF-12.pdf

It is a 9.5mb file, about 160+ pages of historical data on the YF-12. AMAZING!

Jon

Daim. Aren't SR-71 just simply fantastic?!?! :crying2:

Thanks for all pictures!

Probably the most sinister looking jet ever and yet unarmed ...

The YF-12A wasn't quite as sinister looking IMHO ...

Gregg

I've been a Blackbird fan the mid 1960s, but I never did get to see one fly. I have been to several Museums and seen the static displays. I always wanted to get out to the Seattle Museum of Flight to see the M-21 nad the D-21 Drone. Maybe someday. Don M.

http://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/loc...-m-21-blackbird

I found some of my pics from the Warner Robins Museum from 2001.

Blackbird3.jpg

blackbird2.jpg

Blackbird1.jpg

Edited by viper50

Since there seems to be some confusion about it, even in reference sources I've seen, I put this pic together to show the differences between the profiles of the crew compartments of the various Blackbirds. Hopefully it'll clear things up a bit.

The single-seat A-12 was flat all the way along the spine up to the front of the canopy, no bulges, curves or angles. The two M-21 motherships, which were purpose built on the A-12 production line, shared the flat spine of the A-12, adding a second cockpit in the position of the A-12's Q-bay which originally housed the camera(s). There is a slight bulge in the area of the rear cockpit visible in the pic. The YF-12 had a completely redesigned nose section with an enlarged crew compartment and a canopy which curved upwards from the flat spine. Finally, SR-71's also had a raised and curved canopy section, though not to the extent of the YF-12, owing to the SR-71's smaller nose.

Blackbirds.jpg

HTH

:thumbsup: