HAVE GLASS? Ugly or beautiful? Anyway, here it is

It's my fifth Tamiya's viper, and I wanted to make a Have Glass scheme 22FS viper deployed in OIF 2007, the plan is to load up Sniper XR and HTS, GBU-38s and GBU-12s. I'm now in the half way through the end, just finish the Have Glass paint, which pleased me alot. Here are them:

The construction was pretty Tami-style, breezy and easy, and Have Glass require how to paint way much more then gluing the parts together, so only painting steps pictures were taken...

1st, I sprayed stainless steel over-all

IMG_8087.jpg

2nd, I mixed those grey colors with stainless steel with the ratio 50 to 50 and sprayed

IMG_8093.jpg

the next step was the most important, mixed lighter and darker grey into the basic grey-metallic and carefully sprayed with 0.2mm airbrush. I sprayed the darker then the lighter

IMG_8106.jpg

then, I mixed some brown into the basic color and sprayed, and more darker grey-metallic and the lightest grey-metallic over some panel lines and panels

IMG_8112.jpg

the last step I did, I mixed black into the basic color and sprayed to replicate air-refueling dust

IMG_8116.jpg

Regards,

Jin

Excellent result Jin. :worship:

Very convincing and realistic. I wish I'd had the confidence and bravery to attempt something like this when I built my Viper.

Will the decals blend in with the heavily weathered appearance of the HAVE GLASS?

Please post more soon. :worship:

:banana:

Excellent result Jin. :woot.gif:

Very convincing and realistic. I wish I'd had the confidence and bravery to attempt something like this when I built my Viper.

Will the decals blend in with the heavily weathered appearance of the HAVE GLASS?

Please post more soon. :worship:

:coolio:

Honor sir! Your 1/32 viper is always my text book, it's so realistic, no... it was the real thing, right?

Yes, I'm kinda worried about decalling, too. I guess I'll test my thought about how to, first.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Regards,

Jin

Edited by viperbite

Excellent start Jim. Your HAVE GLASS scheme is outstanding. Can't wait to see you dirty it up. The jets often came to me with orange/brown dirt all over the aft end, mostly collecting near the 4 rectangular panels on the spine and base of the tail. Also, the service panels on the wings would have some.

-Jeff

I am sorry man, but I don´t like it. For me is this shading little bit much. And the metal shade don´t look good...

Have you some photo of real plane with this weathering?

Sorry again, I saw many yours better surfaces.... :-)

Have you some photo of real plane with this weathering?

Sorry again, I saw many yours better surfaces.... :-)

Hi Honza,

Have a look here : Airliners dot net image

Here for Midnight Storms image in the F-16 thread.

I'm sure I've seen more but my computer locked up due to the size of some of the files on p6 or so of that thread.

Some of the HAVE Glass painted aircraft are very dirty with worn and tatty paint.

The best ones to illustrate HAVE glass are the Italian Vipers though. Some actually look like they have been painted in metallic silver :wub:

HTH

:wacko:

Edited by geedubelyer

Here's three pics (all from af.mil I belive, if not, let me know and I'll give credit or pull them) that show just how dirty the Have Glass jets can get. Honza, in my opinion, you have little room to talk. I think your last Super Hornet was WAY over-weathered, and that's okay. It is all in our perspective and how we like to do things. Just because I think it is wrong, does not mean a single damn thing. The problem with the Have Glass paint, as was pointed out on Z5, is the nature of the real paint changes depending on what the conditions, angles, light, etc. are at the time you are viewing it. I think he did a good job capturing the paint job as it might look at oblique angles when the sun hits it, however, it's going to look that way no matter what you do with it. It'll look the same in shadow or at a straight angle, and that is not indictive of the real jet.

It was a good attempt to do something that at this time and place, is probably impossible to replicate on a model.

Aaron

060728-F-9796L-015.jpg

080103-F-3071N-202.jpg

070223-F-6335P-176__0V9DO.jpg

this is quite nice. would love to try this effect on my next few f-16s. for the metallic paint did you use gunze stainless steel? my experience is they always blend into a grey once i started mixing, so it was hard to paint my f-22.

• 3 weeks later...
Seriously, your model looks like complete and utter sh-t.

...It's PERFECT!

Thank you~

I think the Have Glass looks good when it is clean, but not a fan when it looks dirty. But you have done a good job replicating the look! And that very first pic, that paintwork looks like it could be the Raptor sheen.

Thank you and yes, actually, I refered Hasegawa Raptor paint suggestion.

this is quite nice. would love to try this effect on my next few f-16s. for the metallic paint did you use gunze stainless steel? my experience is they always blend into a grey once i started mixing, so it was hard to paint my f-22.

Yes, I used Gunze stainless steel IIRC mc221 for prime and sm04 for mixing grey colors.

Decals done, I'll start to try painting on the decals, wish me luck...

IMG_8182%20-%20副本.jpg

IMG_8183%20-%20副本.jpg

Line up!

IMG_8185.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

Jin