Well Provisioned! Some targets..

For reasons I'm still unsure of, I've entered a group build. The subject is a well kit by Monroe Perdu, another wonderful little 1/35 gem designed by Mr MP, Mike Bishop. I'll be interspersing these reports with my next aircraft build, which will begin with the new year- for another group build! Both contests are at Modelers Alliance, a great site aimed at all types of modeling. Random cartoon characters will appear, as Fritzi and Hannah are on break until January. Read on to meet Wendy Wehrmacht- and of course Pfennig makes his strident commentary. Enjoy!

Well_001.jpg

Well_002.jpg

Well_003.jpg

Well_004.jpg

Well_005.jpg

Well_006.jpg

Well_007.jpg

Well_008.jpg

Well_009.jpg

Well_010.jpg

Edited by chukw

Chuk, what the hell!? What's with all the natural light through the big picture window? Don't you know you're supposed to be holed up in a corner of the basement with nothing but a 25 watt bare incandescent bulb to work by going half-blind in the process?

Booo, unfair advantage! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Entertaining as always.

But....(there's always a but, isn't there?) unless Kübels are different from the later bugs (and the '64 Squareback I used to drive), the rear suspension only had a CV joint at the inboard end of the axle. The wheel was always perpendicular to the axle as it bounced up and down, the wheels angled top-out with the suspension unloaded and angled tops-in when compressed. That feature didn't improve their handling any, either.

*edit*

Looking at the parts, I can see the rear suspension is different, the Kübel has geared rear hubs. I withdraw the above, it may not be accurate but, looking at this picture from Wiki, it still may be true.

Kübelwagen with unloaded suspension

Edited by Grey Ghost 531

Thanks, guys! This is a fun little departure from my norm- but I'll be starting my 1/48 Ju388 in January, so stay tuned.

Grey Ghost, I suspected that the wheels would have some inverse cant, but can't for the life of me figure out which of the joints besides the inner axle would flex. The axle-to-wheel joint is rigid- I have photographic proof, so that leaves the rear torsion bar-to-swing arm joint (dubious) or the inner torsion bar anchor joint (also dubious). Did the swing arm torque? This is a poser. I can cheat the angle- and will- but I'd like to know how this thing worked. I guess I'm just that kind of guy! Many thanks for the heads-up and the link- cheers!

More to come, my friends!

chuk

Thanks, guys! This is a fun little departure from my norm- but I'll be starting my 1/48 Ju388 in January, so stay tuned.

Grey Ghost, I suspected that the wheels would have some inverse cant, but can't for the life of me figure out which of the joints besides the inner axle would flex. The axle-to-wheel joint is rigid- I have photographic proof, so that leaves the rear torsion bar-to-swing arm joint (dubious) or the inner torsion bar anchor joint (also dubious). Did the swing arm torque? This is a poser. I can cheat the angle- and will- but I'd like to know how this thing worked. I guess I'm just that kind of guy! Many thanks for the heads-up and the link- cheers!

More to come, my friends!

chuk

I was trying to figure it out too, the front of the trailing arm has a spline fit to the torsion bar which rides in a tube. It's not a tight fit in the tube so it could bend some in that plane, but I don't think it would be enough. If the trailing arm's aft end was in a collar on the end of the axle-back of the hub, the hub could twist in relation to the trailing arm, I just don't remember how that went together on my squareback. I did have the torsion bars out once, too. That's how you adjust the ride height in the back and the guy I bought it from had it set way too low. The torsion bar had splines on both ends, but each end had a different number of splines. That way you had fairly fine adjustment in ride height, you'd go up one on the inside (center frame) and down one on the outside (trailing arm) and the difference between the two was less than either spline alone.

I see you have acid flux in the background of one of the pictures, make sure you clean that stuff out real well, it's not meant for metal as thin as P/E. If you've got any trapped inside that neato battery box, it's going to eat its way out after a while. Acid core solder was banned from the workshop where I did circuit board soldering, it's meant for plumbing.

Your ice cube trick for the burn is right on, cool that baby off fast enough and you'll avoid a lot of the tissue damage. My mom used to grab her earlobe with her burned finger. She didn't know why, it's just what her mom taught her. The blood flow in the earlobe might draw away the heat? Dunno, but she swore by it.

• 4 weeks later...

It's nice to have the week between Christmas and New Year's off- time to model! My lovely wife puts up a lot from me this way- although I did steam clean a lot of our carpets today... :cheers: Take it away, Wendy!

Well_030.jpg

Well_031.jpg

Well_032.jpg

Well_033.jpg

Well_034.jpg

Well_035.jpg

Well_036.jpg

Well_037.jpg

WOW, I don't even know what to say. This is some amazing work. I can't even imagine what I would do with all of the stuff you have for this kit. You have me so interested in this WIP that I will follow this one until the day you put it in the "Display Case" forum. Thanks for showing this!

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...