1/48 Rafale intakes

Look nice! I am going to have to get one of those. I was just on your site and noticed the F-105 correction for the Hobbyboss kit is out of production. Are you reworking the molds or planning a reissue?

Hi Dimitri

Nice work but I don't see in your pictures the air intake duct wave trap (a kind of hole in the lower part of the air duct associated to the additional air intake) designed to reduce the frontal radar image of the Rafale. A quite subtle but nonetheless highly visible detail when you have a look at the Rafale air intakes. See picture herebelow :doh:

It's a pity but in my opinion you've to slightly redesign your Rafale air intake ducts before the release of your new set.

V.P.

Yes, all is correct and I was thinking on this problem before. But unfortunately, a reproduction of this cavity which is actually intended for additional airlow coming from ventral doors is nearly impossible on these pattern parts. There are some limitations in the casting process and these cavities become by heavy steps inside the molds that makes demolding the parts very difficult or even impossible. Therefore such deep detail inside these pattern parts has to be avoided.

However, advanced modelers may reproduce these cavities later themself (in particular if they want to open the ventral doors). This pretty simple procedure is illustrated here.

Rafale_open_door.jpg

gap_completed.jpg

These hints&tips will be permanently published at my own website later along with another tips on this Rafale set.

Dmitri

Look nice! I am going to have to get one of those. I was just on your site and noticed the F-105 correction for the Hobbyboss kit is out of production. Are you reworking the molds or planning a reissue?

No, this set isn't OOP and is on regular production line. 'OOP' remark is related to another set, Do-17Z tailplane set which is below. I will need to fix this issue.

Hi Dimitri

Nice work but I don't see in your pictures the air intake duct wave trap (a kind of hole in the lower part of the air duct associated to the additional air intake) designed to reduce the frontal radar image of the Rafale. A quite subtle but nonetheless highly visible detail when you have a look at the Rafale air intakes. See picture herebelow :jaw-dropping:

It's a pity but in my opinion you've to slightly redesign your Rafale air intake ducts before the release of your new set.

rafea1.jpg

V.P.

C'mon man...cut some tape with pinken sheers and be done with it :coolio:

Yes, all is correct and I was thinking on this problem before. But unfortunately, a reproduction of this cavity which is actually intended for additional airlow coming from ventral doors is nearly impossible on these pattern parts. There are some limitations in the casting process and these cavities become by heavy steps inside the molds that makes demolding the parts very difficult or even impossible. Therefore such deep detail inside these pattern parts has to be avoided.

However, advanced modelers may reproduce these cavities later themself (in particular if they want to open the ventral doors). This pretty simple procedure is illustrated here.

Rafale_open_door.jpg

gap_completed.jpg

These hints&tips will be permanently published at my own website later along with another tips on this Rafale set.

Dmitri

Hi Dmitri,

I don't see problem with demolding, you should maybe change for a new silicone (such as Rebound, from Smooth-On), it have a very high elasticity and resistance, it is actually best used for 1 piece molds with complex shapes and undercuts (take note, i don't work for them). Or alternatively you could split the part into two halves to fix the problem if you still use a harder or more fragile silicone.

Stephane

Stratosphere Models.

Edited by Stratospheremodels

Can anyone post a shot of the Revell intakes for comparison's sake? I'm trying to understand if theses are proper length, or just easier to use.

Another thought on the Ventral intake to make demolding easier would be a paper thin (literally) frangible panel seperating the inside and outside on the intakes, allowing the builder to pop out a thin layer of essentially flash to get the proper intake configuration.

Can anyone post a shot of the Revell intakes for comparison's sake? I'm trying to understand if theses are proper length, or just easier to use.

Another thought on the Ventral intake to make demolding easier would be a paper thin (literally) frangible panel seperating the inside and outside on the intakes, allowing the builder to pop out a thin layer of essentially flash to get the proper intake configuration.

As for the Revell intakes, well, there are none to speak of. You can look down the intakes into the innards of the model. No trunking (not even attempted trunking), no blanking plate, nothing.

The frangible panel sounds like a good idea. Even if this is still unworkable form a moulding point of view, a scribed line on the outside showing where to make the cuts would be a tremendous help for most people.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys, but due to latest restrictions in the work of the US post on a weight limit for packages coming to the USA delivery of these and other sets is being delayed until these postal restrictions are cancelled. I don't know when it will happen but for awhile delivery of the regular shipments to the USA is impossible.

Dmitri