1/48 Revell F-18F VFA-103's Vic 201

Been a while since I've posted any completed projects, but this one's been sitting around for a year and just needed the canopy attached.

The kit is Revell's F-18F, Fightertown Decals, Avionix SJU-17 seats, and Steel Beach ACS coaming.

Nothing fancy, just another bones jet.

Enjoy

image2_zps1bqtcwwi.jpg

image3_zpsfnn0hgr3.jpg

image1_zpsloqo9qem.jpg

image4_zps5yusyzpk.jpg

Nice job! Too bad those kits are so hard to find. There are so many good markings options, but hasegawa kits get too expensive to do them all. Would be nice to have a quality option for around $25.

Nice job! Too bad those kits are so hard to find. There are so many good markings options, but hasegawa kits get too expensive to do them all. Would be nice to have a quality option for around $25.

Agreed there...I have no idea why Revell cut the F-18F..dumbest business decision of the century.

I managed to pick up the kit I built at a show for $5 only because the guy was clearing his stash at the end of the day..If I can get one cheap, I'll snag it up.

Honestly, I like the Revell kit despite its flaws..they build up nice and are relatively fast kits to build.

Agreed there...I have no idea why Revell cut the F-18F..dumbest business decision of the century.

I managed to pick up the kit I built at a show for $5 only because the guy was clearing his stash at the end of the day..If I can get one cheap, I'll snag it up.

Honestly, I like the Revell kit despite its flaws..they build up nice and are relatively fast kits to build.

Can only agree about the Revell kit, and that is a magnificent example. BTW, is that a Reapers Tomcat lurking in the background, by any chance...?

Can only agree about the Revell kit, and that is a magnificent example. BTW, is that a Reapers Tomcat lurking in the background, by any chance...?

Thanks!

Actually, that's a NAWC F-14A lurking back there :D

NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked into making a conversion for the E kit, but the canopy is the biggest obstacle. Trying to get them vacced would be cost prohibitive.

I really need to get one of your Growler conversions..I have an E kit with some spare F parts, and was thinking of building one.

I've gotta get past this tomcat and KA-3B kick I'm on.

Looks very nice. Can you tell us how you did the dirt and grime on the upper surfaces? It looks very convincing. Also which paints and colors did you use for the gray?

Sure thing..I use a simple weathering technique..I post fade, then I take a gel pen, hit the panel lines, gloss coat, then re-fade. As for the boot prints on the walk way areas, I take a damp tissue (tp) and flatten it out with my finger, then load it up with ink from the gel pen and blot away. The process takes several passes, but it's quite convincing.

As for paints, I use MM enamels exclusively.