Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MikeC

  1. Your first point: so true. Items dropped: I must disagree. The castors on the chair I sit in are quite effective at finding things as well, particularly windscreens and so on. Just listen for the "C...rrr..unch!"
  2. I've sometimes binned models in a fit of frustration. Some I've felt a regret for later, thinking I could perhaps have salvaged it after a bit of a break. Others I've been glad to see the back of. The most frustrating is a 1/32 Bu 131 I'm working on now. A couple of the chaps at my model club have told me what a great little kit it is. And it is mostly: but the cowlings have fought me every inch of the way, and it's been sitting on the shelf for a while now. The worst part is thinking, "Others have done a good job on this, why can't I?"
  3. Someone told me once that helicopters fly because they're so ugly the ground repels them.
  4. You'll need a later instrument panel too: that on the D-5 was subtly different.
  5. Nice scheme, and rather local to me: Marshalls Cambridge is about 20 miles from where I live.
  6. I rather think the D-5-NAs (ie no fin fillet) all went to US users. Serial numbers 44-13253 to 44-14052. Incidentally, just as a check against any photos captioning an RAF Mk IV as a IVa or vice-versa, the RAF serial batches were: Mk IV: KM493-KM743; Mk IVa: KH671-KH870 and KM100-KM492. (Source: The Mustang Story, Ken Delve, Arms & Armour 1999) HTH
  7. Yes, Mustang IV is the P-51D, Mustang IVa is the P-51K. The main visible external difference is that some aircraft had louvred cooling panels in the lower cowling rather than the pattern of holes or blank (parts R7/R8 or R29/R30 in the Tamiya kit); there may well have been differences in equipment fit (eg radio) as well: I need to dig into my bookshelves and refresh my memory. So long as you have a way of adding the louvred cooling panels - aftermarket if any or scratchbuilding - an RAF Mustang is certainly possible from the Tamiya kit. And of course, the Aeroproducts prop for
  8. So often the way, isn't it? Thanks, although there is the little matter of acquiring one first. Just to make life more interesting, I'm planning to use the relevant parts from the Pacific boxing (which I've recently finished as a 506th FG VLR aeroplane) to do an RF-51D. Thanks for posting the pics above, they'll be useful reference, especially as the first one is an RF.
  9. Very nicely done, and inspiration for when I come to do mine. Just out of curiosity, how long was it from when you started it until Tamiya announced a specific F-51D boxing?
  10. There's a guaranteed sure-fire way to make a small fortune as a model producer ... ... ... .. start with a large one. I'll get my coat.
  11. Not a challenge at all: they tell you on their website. Check out the product page just below the panel containing the links to Description", "Galleries", etc, where it says "Plastic parts" ... https://www.eduard.com/eduard/p-51d-mustang-1-48-1-4.html https://www.eduard.com/eduard/warhawk-1-32.html?listtype=search&searchparam=p-40n I've always liked Eduard. Their 1/48 P-39 series seemed to me to mark the point at which they became a mainstream kit manufacturer (facts and others' opinions may vary). Since then they have got steadily better, but I do feel they
  12. Unusual, and very nicely done.
  13. BBMF and CWHM Lancasters flying together. Sheer magic.
  14. I feel your pain. When I worked I had one assignment where I regularly had to visit a project team on RNAS Yeovilton. All that history (the FAA Museum is also here) and I was in meetings! However, one day I walked out into the car park, and there was the Historic Flight Swordfish practising its display routine over the airfield, so there were compensations.
  15. How about a restoration to "as retired" condition? http://www.fleetairarm.com/aviation-museum-past-projects.aspx http://www.fleetairarm.com/exhibit/Corsair-KD-431/2-4-18.aspx
  16. Great collection, thanks for sharing. A couple of small corrections for photo 5 though: it is a Mosquito PR Mk XVI as the caption wonders (not XV) and they were used mainly for target weather reconnaissance. The red tails were added around August 1944 and were, as the caption states, to prevent mis-identification as Me 410s. I know because I've just finished one. Airfix kit with some Eduard etch and Carpena decals. Apologies for the short thread hi-jack, once again thanks for posting. Link duly bookmarked.
  17. Thanks for the kind comments guys.
  18. Latest finish - only the third this year, fourth if you count one I binned immediately because I wasn't happy with it. It's the Airfix PR XVI, with an Eduard Zoom set meant for a Tamiya B/PR IV, which worked fine with a little adaption here and there. I also used Eduard canopy masks, and again with a little fettling here and there they fitted reasonably. Decals were by Carpena, and I had some problems. The national markings disintegrated at a sniff of the decal water. Fortunately the individual markings were OK, and the stars'n'bars in the right size were easy to source from my spares, but
  19. What he said. That looks a whisker away from completion to me.
  20. Very nice, good to see a recce bird as well.
  • Create New...