Ok, which is the most beautiful aircraft kit ever produced?

Ok...so which is the most beautiful aircraft ever produced, in kit form?

Please keep it within categories in modern fighter jets only...produced in 1/48 scale.

1) manufacturer & year manufactured

2) parts count / kit accurancy (if possible)

2) full name / version of aircraft

3) which country / squadron

4) most of all...why it's the best!?

Now vote for that ONE jet that make you 'high' after building it!!!

many thankx!

marc

Actually, it's normally the cement that makes me high instead of the kit... but of course I can't smell anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

Actually, it's normally the cement that makes me high instead of the kit... but of course I can't smell anyway.

Cheers,

Dave

hehe...that's a good one!

so, which is your best loved!?!?

Edited by sbc3133r

Modern jets don't really "do it" for me, so I guess I can't play by the rules.

My vote would go as follows:

Tie between 1/48 Hasegawa F-104 series (specifically the CF-104 boxing) and the F-85 Sabre series. Both are great kits of beautiful aircraft. Neither of them need aftermarket help, and both have extensive marking options. Persoanlly, I put Cdn markings on both of my builds.

On the prop front, I have to go with the Tamiya P-47 series. These kits are beautifully engineered, a monkey could assemble them without issue (I did afterall :thumbsup:), and there are near countless marking options for them.

Since I'm here, might as well:

Has F-14's (the new tooled versions)

Base kit has about 190 parts

Any of the 3 F-14 variants (but I prefer F-14B/D's)

USN, and too many squadrons to list! But the ones at the top: VF-103, VF-101, VF-213, VF-2, VF-31

No reason, just because I LOVE F-14's!!!

Tamiya's 1/48 Skyraider. First kit I built after 8 years and it went together like mork and mindy?, PB&J? Can't think of a good analogy.

Edited by Rasczak

For me, 1/48 Revell F-15E. Built four or five over the years, with two more on the bench right now. I love the way the go together, they are a great price, and really build up to a good model with little/no Aftermarket needed.

Aaron

For me, 1/48 Revell F-15E. Built four or five over the years, with two more on the bench right now. I love the way the go together, they are a great price, and really build up to a good model with little/no Aftermarket needed.

Aaron

ah...RoG strike eagle? the new (tigermeet decals) or the old one?

interesting...since there are aftermarket sets (cutting edge & WD) that can mod it into a F-15i ra'am.

thankx for the recommendation! will definitely take note on this kit AFTER i clear up all my fleet of F-16 snags!

I`m a Noob here but I really liked the Hasegawa EF111s

My better build came from one of the prototype offerings of 66-041 with the Orange hi viz markings on the wings and tail.

Always thought it was a neat looking plane

I also like Lockheed S3s but the kit offerings are/were a bit lacking.

Rt4957/Phil

ah...RoG strike eagle? the new (tigermeet decals) or the old one?

interesting...since there are aftermarket sets (cutting edge & WD) that can mod it into a F-15i ra'am.

thankx for the recommendation! will definitely take note on this kit AFTER i clear up all my fleet of F-16 snags!

Doesn't matter, either the RoG or the regular boxing. Same plastic. The Pro Modeler boxing adds two AMRAAM's, two GBU-15's, DL pod, and some GBU-10's, but that too is the same basic plastic. Yes, you can get some stuff to update it to a OIF/OEF bird (which my next one will be, using TwoBobs Mountain Home Avengers sheet) and you can also create an F-15I or F-15K from the WP correction sets. Isradecal and CE, as you mentioned, also has sets for the F-15I. I will eventually build a Ra'am....some day.

Aaron

I'd have included the 1/32 kits as well but I don't have room to display them so I haven't bought them.

That's never stopped me, unfortunately. I keep packing them away for "the future".

Jake

Mine have to be the Tamiya F-4E Phantom 32nd, yes it has a few probs like the battle damage patches, and having a F-4C/D pit, but has more going for it like the Clear nose showing the beautiful cannon.. But all these problems are easy to over come..

I just don't have the nerve to start it yet..

Pat

Ok...so which is the most beautiful aircraft ever produced, in kit form?

Please keep it within categories in modern fighter jets only...produced in 1/48 scale.

1) manufacturer & year manufactured

2) parts count / kit accurancy (if possible)

2) full name / version of aircraft

3) which country / squadron

many thankx!

marc

It appears that not everyone read your rules of engagement...

1) manufacturer & year manufactured: Hasegawa 1988

2) parts count / kit accurancy: (if possible) 292 pieces. As accurate as it could be I would guess

2) full name / version of aircraft: F-14A Tomcat Pacific Fleet Squardrons

3) which country / squadron: USof A!!! I liked the VF-111 markings

The Tomcat, in my opinion is by far the most gorgeous airframe to ever grace the sky. It's mission with it's weapons will probably never be equaled or duplicated ever again. Another opinion is; the Phoenix Missile system never came to it's actual evolutionary peak. Why sink money into something that could never be fired because of it's range speed and lethality with rules of engagement being what they became and are today. Gotta see the whites of there eye's before we can shoot m down. It really never came full circle with development like say, the AIM-9's have. If history repeats itself (as it normally does) we WILL need again, what the Tomcat proved it was capable of back in the day.

Just my take on your pole...

A picture of my 1989 1st place Nationals in San Diego winner

Copy2of_MG_7386-1.jpg

Cheers,

Larry.

Doesn't matter, either the RoG or the regular boxing. Same plastic. The Pro Modeler boxing adds two AMRAAM's, two GBU-15's, DL pod, and some GBU-10's, but that too is the same basic plastic. Yes, you can get some stuff to update it to a OIF/OEF bird (which my next one will be, using TwoBobs Mountain Home Avengers sheet) and you can also create an F-15I or F-15K from the WP correction sets. Isradecal and CE, as you mentioned, also has sets for the F-15I. I will eventually build a Ra'am....some day.

Aaron

Hi aaron,

thankx for the F-15E info on RoG...

i have to ask this cos' the old euro fighter & the new one from Rog is world's apart!!!

i got the old kit unfortunately...so many areas needed to rebuild!!!

marc

It appears that not everyone read your rules of engagement...

A picture of my 1989 1st place Nationals in San Diego winner

Cheers,

Larry.

it's ok larry...just wanna know what aircraft's on everyone's minds.

that is a beauty my friend!!! very sharp & clean!!!

if i ever wanna buy the tomcat...i would choose the 'ali-cat' instead.

For me the Acadamy F-18 made a couple years back.

Has over 600 parts.

I built mine as a Canadian (best paint, and most ultilized) 441 squadron bird. Cause another wonderful ARCer got me a 441 squadron hat.

Its the best as its the most detailed model I have built without screaming bloody murder. (Unlike my first few Hasegawa Tomcats.)

My first use of photoetch in a big way. Which is something I still do not use very often.

My first really big model. Studied the instructions for a month or two before building it.

My first model I shared too ARC in a gallery review.

And still the centre piece of my collection.