Talking about the Super-Hornet's bombload...

too anwser that questionIMOHO, the F-14 Tomcat was handed the shaft when i was retired this time last year ( wow a year with no Tomcats, i dont belive i didnt jump off a ATC like i planned j/k) the Improved Hornet as i call it, while a great airplane, is no where near half an equal replacement for the tomcat, its go shorter range, in terms of gas and weapon systems ( a 150 mi+ AIM-54C vs a 50 mi+ Slammer wins hands down) it is a less capable dogfighter, CAS platform, :deadhorse1: my opinion :soapbox::whistle:
The ARC Tomcat Mafia believe the F-14 is the pinnacle of Naval Aviation and still think the F-14 should still be flying for the next 30 years whereas the Rhino is not the right aircraft (due to lack of speed, shorter range and the fact that it can't carry the AIM-54) the replace it on carrier decks (but there are only so many Tweets to go around).

Ladies and gentlemen, I rest my case...

Edited by Trigger

The bone has a big tank. I remember talking to a bone driver how he out ran a F15 driver on because they didn't have the fuel to stay with him. Losing 2K LBS/ min, someone is going to have give up chase and it will not be the Bone.

Question: I’m still a newbie of sorts here on ARC and I’m curious as to why there seems to be such animosity between the folks that are fans of the Tomcat and those that like the Rhino. I’m not looking to uncork a flame war, just curious as to the underlying issue that folks seem to be so passionate about.

I am a fan of both aircraft, so every once in a while, I have to bitchslap myself.

Edited by Johnopfor
Yet the Super Hornet, Hornet and Tomcat can put more warheads on forheads in a faster manner and mission readiness rate :)

Not a bash on the B-2, but I'd be quite a bit more terrified of a pair of carriers with two squadrons+ of Super Hornets and Hornets sitting off my coast than of a pair of B-2's that have to fly 14+ hours each direction, where those Hornets and Rhinos have to fly maybe 45 minutes, tops, to get to where I am.

AND WE'RE OFF!!! :popcorn::popcorn:

A good friend of mine (and a fellow member of this board) put it best... REGARDLESS of how one feels.

"Depending on who you ask, it may or may not be 'Mr. Right', but regardless, it IS 'Mr. Right NOW'. "

I am a fan of both. The Tomcat has earned it's place in the hall of kings. Now it's time for this new contender to start laying down it's legacy.

A good friend of mine (and a fellow member of this board) put it best... REGARDLESS of how one feels.

"Depending on who you ask, it may or may not be 'Mr. Right', but regardless, it IS 'Mr. Right NOW'. "

I am a fan of both. The Tomcat has earned it's place in the hall of kings. Now it's time for this new contender to start laying down it's legacy.

Probably the best post in this thread.

jeez im clearly tomcat mafia (i mean if anything else damn it just looks better) but i thought this type of thread died months ago! obviously never gonna happen i expect we will be hearing in 20 years how the tomcat could do better than whatever the navy has.

I say this because i read somewhere a guy saying that bucanneers were better than tornados and that the RAF should be flying buccanneers still and not tornados!!!!!

maybe a dedicated thread for tomcat :blink: super hornet is in order lol

Probably the best post in this thread.

Nahh, I think this is the best post in the thread:

"Yuri, what the hell are you doing"

"I'm bringing him in closer Ivan"

"You're gonna do WHAT??"

"I'll hit the brakes and he'll fly right by.....of course he can't see us due to the plasma stealth"

In fact it's going straight to my sig

EDIT: Bleh, never mind, it's too long!

Edited by Just call me Ray

:blink: Already LOONNNNGGGG Gone.

-brian

I personally wish we did not have these 'my plane is better than your plane' posts. Until people discussing this stuff wear a pair of wings on their chest , what's the point? And those that do have a much better way of solving the age old O'club debates.

I think I remember seeing this in a hallway somewhere - "Only the spirit of attack, borne of a brave heart will bring success to any fighter aircrew no matter how highly developed it may be."

-brian

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

I always loved the Tomcat. It was so good for my entries into the squadron Top Gun log to fight against them....

Fare well, giant leaking target....I doubt I'll ever have that much planform to aim a gun at again...

And you people were saying that a middle ground can't be reached... I suggest we all follow Waco's fine example.

Yeah, I think that "middle ground" is somewhere in California on top of an earthquake faultline.

Yeah, I think that "middle ground" is somewhere in California on top of an earthquake faultline.

True, but I like to think of it as potential new ground to be broken... much like the fault line you refer to which will one day become a new west coast...

Hey, I'm equal opportunity. I'll happily chase Hornets or Super Hornets for quarterly weapons logs...its just not quite as entertaining as watching those big-*** wings sweep forward to telegraph low energy states.

And its not NEARLY as satisfying as putting RATR/BATR onto two helmets.

Although for true style points, you can't honestly call a kill on an EA-6B until you've put round counters onto each of the four helmets.

Aww.....c'mon now!!! You make it sound so easy Waco.

I wish...if only I were that good.

God I loved finding and guning the Prowler...just like clubbing a baby seal! :thumbsup:

Almost like rolling in on the Grizwald Family Truckster with the ECMO's all pinned up against the window...

Sorry Karl, but somebody had to say it.

Tank

God I loved finding and guning the Prowler...just like clubbing a baby seal! :thumbsup:

Almost like rolling in on the Grizwald Family Truckster with the ECMO's all pinned up against the window...

Sorry Karl, but somebody had to say it.

Tank

I'm not sure exactly why, but that post just broke me up this morning! Thanks, Tank, for giving me a good laugh to start my day!

Joe