This just blows my mind! I would've sworn this was a 1/32 kit. It's just not possible to jam that much detail into a 1/48 build, is it?? Apparently so! Add to that the great illustrations and story and it makes for the most compelling WIP I've ever followed.

Thanks for the ride!!

I really think we should ask Steve to set aside a place on ARC for articles as detailed and documented as this. It should not disappear into the dusty ARChives where it would be missed. Rarely, if ever, have we seen such skill, innovation, patience and communication on an article here. It's getting close to the end of the year. I want to nominate this thread as "Build of the Year" and I hope we can save it in a special place for future readers. :D

Awesome work, Chuck.

I do have one suggestion though. Your ID lights on the bottom of the wing could be improved fairly easily. Your way looks okay on small scales but I think it's a little two dimensional in the bigger scale and isn't up to the same level as the rest of your model's detail.

What I've done is to take a drill bit the same diameter as the light and drill a cone shaped depression in the light's position.

Then, I take some adhesive backed aluminum foil and punch a disk just a little bigger than the depression, cut a slit from the center to the edge and line the depression with the foil. (chrome paint would work, too). Then I fill the depression with 5 minute epoxy, flush for these formation lights, slightly domed for regular taxi lights. Then use the Tamiya transparent paint to tint them. I use the transparent orange for the amber lights and a blue and green mix for the green as you did.

I don't have a clear picture of using this technique on ID lights on my computer right now but here's a shot of a landing/taxi light on a Heller 1/72 Dassault Ouragan.

md450bitskc4.jpg

w640.png

Not that great of a pic but you can see the 3D appearance of the light.

Thanks a bunch, my friends! Your comments- both sane and otherwise, are greatly appreciated.. :lol: grey Ghost, your Ourangoutang looks to be coming along very nicely- I'll have to remeber to use thoose MV products on the next build- cheers!

I'm back from a little R&R- and the Palm Springs Air Museum! I got to meet some great folks, stand up in a lot of bomb bays and wheels wells- and take a bunch of pictures! Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby! Without further ado, here's the progress I made before jumping ship- enjoy!

Misc_320.jpg

Misc_321.jpg

Misc_322.jpg

Misc_323.jpg

Misc_324.jpg

Misc_325.jpg

wowzers, awesome work again.

Furthermore, I like it how you seem to be posting at the same time each week... Seems to be at midday at the beginning of each week for me in australia. Makes Lunch at work seem less boring.

Cheers,

Camo

chuckw said: "I'm back from a little R&R- and the Palm Springs Air Museum!"

Was he, perhaps, arranging for an apropriate display place for his fantastic build? Because it sure deserves to be in a museum somewhere. It is one of the most detailed models I have ever seen, and watching it come together has been an education for us all. There are very few threads here on ARC of this quality, and hope it will be accessable for a long time.

Little Chuck and Honest Abe really brighten up my day no matter when I get to read their exploits. :thumbsup:

Man that looks fantastic.

The upper wing colours do work out quite well after all, and I doubted you... Shame on me, but it was a great learning experience. This looks great. Do you think the landing gear doors look too thick? You have such fine detail, I found my eye going back to the doors and trying to gauge the thickness of the doors to the struts. I don't have any photos to compare, just thought I would ask. You have done an outstanding amount of work and I am very grateful for your sharing in your methods. Very grateful.

-Al :thumbsup: