Hasegawa 1/48 F-14

I have always wanted to build one of these kits but now that I have read in full David Aungst Hyper Scale features on these kits and the fit problems and all the work that goes into them I am trying to understand how Hasegawa sells these kits as I would assume most people don't want to put that kind of elbow grease into a kit and to make things worse the kits are not cheap either!!!!

That aside (sorry just had to get that out) is the kit cockpit that bad?????

I usually use Hasegawa 1/48 kit cockpits as I find with good weathering and painting they look pretty damn good and I don't really like to add more cost to the kit by always purchasing resin cockpits, sure I have bought and have a collection of resin ejection seats and will use them.

Ok so I am by no means a pro but I have built 4 1/48th hasegawa tomcats. Just finished my latest one (pics to come soon as) it did take me 5 months of work. Not working on it every day mind you. But when it is done it looks amazing. Just take your time, make putty your friend and when in doubt ask the people on these boards questions! I know it worked for me and now I have a beautiful vf-14 tomcat to sit next to my vf-11 ripper!

The cockpit is ok. It needs some updating and scratch building but it can turn out sweet! If I can do it I swear to god you can! I also use resin seats on my jets. The hasegawa ones have belts that look like they would be about 2cm thick in real life!

The Hasegawa kit is a little expensive, has some fit issues, but is a much better kit overall. Second choice would be Revell. That also has its own list of shortcomings. Both with all their flaws are good kits... Italeri/Testors/Academy kits... RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my local hobby shop usually has the F-14 kits priced at $84.99 and they are on sale for $62.99, they have a A and a D in stock, so maybe I will take the plunge and pick one up tomorrow. At least I know what I am in for and what to expect as far as fit and work that needs to be put into the kit, so it will come as no shock or suprise.

Well my local hobby shop usually has the F-14 kits priced at $84.99 and they are on sale for $62.99, they have a A and a D in stock, so maybe I will take the plunge and pick one up tomorrow. At least I know what I am in for and what to expect as far as fit and work that needs to be put into the kit, so it will come as no shock or suprise.

I picked up 2 A's the other week for $49 AUD each. It might pay to shop around!

Gah! I have the Academy F14A. How much "fun" am I in for when get around to building it? :coolio: Sorry if that's off-topic

It's not a difficult build at all, it just has some accuracy issues, mainly with the shape of the nose...

Daniel

The Hasegawa F-14 is a very decent kit. Much of what's been said about the fit problems are a bit overdone. For the price of the kit most feel that it should assemble much better than it does. The original issue kits did have some problems, but nothing that can't be overcome. But you have the Aungst article and that's the best start.

By the way, the cockpit is pretty good.

Randy

Gah! I have the Academy F14A. How much "fun" am I in for when get around to building it? :pray: Sorry if that's off-topic

There are a couple guys around here that like it. I would not be one of them. I built it, and gave it to my daughter to paint pink.

id take a look on ebay or sprue bros. instead of those prices. like to support the local hobby shop, but to a point. just me anyway. got quite a few ive picked up for 30-40 dollars.

Edited by elmerfudd94

oh man ive built 2 revell f14's, 1 academy, 1 hasegawa and im starting a second all are of course 1/48 scale.

if you are talking about fit issues seams etc on the hasegawa kit im guessing you have never built a revell f14 before!! terrible!

having said that after the first hasegawa i said hmm probably wont do one of those for a long time because there are a large number of parts: i mean the body alone is in several sections and the intake ramps are just awkward. i used a aftermarket cockpit set after all the aires cockpit set is cheap in comparison to the blackbox set and looks as good!

As for the academy probably my favourite build of an f14 as it has the detailed recessed panel lines and parts that fit reasonably well as per the hasegawa kit (in my experience anyway) and yet not an excessive number of parts.

In fact later on today ill take pics of my academy and hasegawa and revell tomcats to compare them.

Edited by F14SRCOOL
id take a look on ebay or sprue bros. instead of those prices. like to support the local hobby shop, but to a point. just me anyway. got quite a few ive picked up for 30-40 dollars.

Seconded. The only Hasegawa Tomcat I've paid more than $40 for was the 'Bicentennial' boxing, the rest I've bought for around $30-35. The best way to get them cheap is to buy the standard boxings, Pacific or Atlantic Fleet markings for the F-14A and CVW-9 for the F-14D, slap on a set of aftermarket decals and you're good to go for under $45.

Ken

I live in Canada, Kitchener. I have 2 local hobby shops, then I have one in London and a couple in Toronto. Lowest priced Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 kit I have ever seen is $69.99. Ebay does not have a F-14 kits in 1/48 right now, and most sellers are in the U.S., by the time I pay shipping and handling, etc, it is not worth it.

I live in Canada, Kitchener. I have 2 local hobby shops, then I have one in London and a couple in Toronto.

Always support Ed at Air Support!!!! :) However Dong (in London) has a Has F-14 in the buy and sell as does Tony Hayes(Hammertown). Both within an hour of you and both excellent traders. Both selling for MUCH less then $60.

I think they're where the traders lived. I've dealt with both Dong and Tony Hayes (I live in BC btw) and they're both excellent traders. Off the top of my head, Tony has his VF-2 F-14D for $45. Dong has his F-14A Atl. Fleet for $45 as well.

Hi

well i've made a few Has kits and a poor Italeri (my opinion)

OOB is good and yeah there are some fit issues but nothing too difficult.

Now with Aires goodies a plenty and Eduard sets a very very nice F-14 can be made.

Does anyone do a weighted wheel set for the F-14?

There are a couple guys around here that like it. I would not be one of them. I built it, and gave it to my daughter to paint pink.

Ooh boy. :doh: :D :(

I'll have to make a mental note to make an offering to the modeling gods when I start it to appease them.

I have always wanted to build one of these kits but now that I have read in full David Aungst Hyper Scale features on these kits and the fit problems and all the work that goes into them I am trying to understand how Hasegawa sells these kits as I would assume most people don't want to put that kind of elbow grease into a kit and to make things worse the kits are not cheap either!!!!

That aside (sorry just had to get that out) is the kit cockpit that bad?????

I usually use Hasegawa 1/48 kit cockpits as I find with good weathering and painting they look pretty damn good and I don't really like to add more cost to the kit by always purchasing resin cockpits, sure I have bought and have a collection of resin ejection seats and will use them.

Hey Mesher!

I felt the same way about the kit as you. However, I just started primer painting my first one today. I can tell you, it's really not that bad. Follow Dave Angst's advise and look for Brian P's build on this site as well. they're help went a long way!

My next one, I will do a little differently, but I am extremely pleased with how it is coming along.

It was a challenge but it stretched my skills to new levels and I am not afraid of any kit in my stash now.

I would also recommend an aires pit. They fit very well and look amazing!

Mesher, I'll replace the Starfighters on display at Eds with some Tomcats........(if I remember that is) On Saturday to give you an idea of what a Hasegawa F-14 out of the box can look like.

I was thinking it may be a better option to purchase a Academy F-14A Bombcat kit and use the weapons from the kit, it may be a better option vs purchasing 2 Hasegawa weapon sets.

I have built the Academy and the Hasegawa and I prefer the Hase. If you are going to build the Academy I'd get the nose correction kit that Darren Roberts/Steel Beach has over at Spruebrothers. It's nice and works very well and corrects a funky looking nose on the Acad kit. Otherwise it goes together very much like the Revell only it has recessed lines. It's ok, it took some work and the front fuselage needs to be rescribed because it is missing some panel lines.

I love the Hasegawa kit. Yes, it is expensive and doesn't come with any weps but it just looks like a Tomcat when you get it together. It has a lot of parts but your not going to use some of them and if you go slowly and follow David's suggestions it will go just fine. Like any Tomcat kit you will either love it or hate it. I like that the panel lines look good and rivets look lovely with a wash.

I have seen some brilliant builds with all of the kits. Heck Cyrus Tan has a beaut in the Gallery- a Revell VF-2 that is rescribed. Mitch Cooke did a great Hasegawa F-14D/VF-143- it's a stunner.

I get excited about F-14's... sorry if I ramble. Go slow and sure and the Hasegawa kit will treat you right.