C-130s, the amazing HERK!

• 2 weeks later...

Herc thread, slipped to page 3? That's not right!

So here we go - a large selection of mine - mostly different types, but a few different US units as well (we don't get too much of a variety over here in the UK).

Loads of USAF Ones:

HC-130N 88-2101 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc21.jpg

C-130E 72-1299 at RAF Mildenhall - the last time I ever saw an RS C-130E :unsure:

Herc20.jpg

C-130H 92-1451 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc19.jpg

C-130H 93-1563 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc17.jpg

C-130H 92-0552 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc12.jpg

MC-130H 88-1803 at RAF Fairford

Herc5.jpg

MC-130E 64-0523 at RAF Fairford

Herc6.jpg

MC-130P 66-0215 at RAF Fairford

Herc7.jpg

Edited by OriginalMonty

Even more!

C-130J-30 07-8613 at RAF Fairford- nice new Ramstein jet :)

Herc8.jpg

C-130E 64-14859 at RAF Mildenhall - this was the 352ndSOG slick, don't know where it has gone to now

Herc16.jpg

AC-130U 89-0510 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc13.jpg

AC-130U 89-0513 at RAF Mildenhall

herc14.jpg

AC-130U 89-0514 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc15.jpg

And a few of the non-USAF stuff in my collection:

C-130E 63-13189 at RAF Mildenhall - a rather tasty Turkish Air Force aircraft!

Herc18.jpg

C-130J ZH883 at Marshalls Airport - lots of other nice C-130s here - Austrian, Swedish, Dutch, and the A400M testbed. Unfortunately I'm not able to post photos of them by request of Marshalls :unsure:

Herc11.jpg

C-130H 501 - real treat, lovely Omani Air Force machine :)

Herc10.jpg

Last lot, promise!

C-130H 344 at RAF Fairford

Herc9.jpg

C-130H 346 at RAF Fairford - both of these two (344 and 346) are Royal Jordanian Air Force

Herc2.jpg

C-130H 130323 at RAF Fairford - only time I've ever seen a Canadian Herk

Herc3.jpg

C-130J MM62186 at RAF Fairford - Italian Air Force, with Open Skies pods on

Herc4.jpg

C-130H 7T-WHE at RAF Fairford - very rare Algerian Air Force jet!

Herc1.jpg

Hope you managed to survive through that lot!

Herc thread, slipped to page 3? That's not right!

So here we go - a large selection of mine - mostly different types, but a few different US units as well (we don't get too much of a variety over here in the UK).

Loads of USAF Ones:

C-130H 93-1563 at RAF Mildenhall

Herc17.jpg

What a great series of Herc pictures. Thanks for posting them. One thing I find interesting is the increased level of countermeasures carried by regular USAF / ANG "trash hauler" C-130s. Before, most of this gear was mainly seen on special ops models.

Seems like lots of them are sporting the anti-IR SAM laser heads on the rear fuselage. The one above is somewhat unique because it appears to have the old style brick IR jammer mounted immediately before the paratroop jump door. Haven't seen those in quite a while. Also noteworthy is what appears to be a scabbed on flare dispenser directly under the crew entry door on many of these birds.

It's also interesting that the J-model which is the most modern appears to have none of these items, while the older model Hercs have all the protective gear installed.

Those flare dispenser forward of the crew door are fairly common. The LIRCM Mod takes a while to do. I'm sure most if not all Herks in the USAF is scheduled to get it. It will take some time. Most of the time it is scheduled in conjunction with other major maintenance, hence the lack of the Mod on the J model. She doesn't need a rebuild yet...

Curt

What a great series of Herc pictures. Thanks for posting them. One thing I find interesting is the increased level of countermeasures carried by regular USAF / ANG "trash hauler" C-130s. Before, most of this gear was mainly seen on special ops models.

Seems like lots of them are sporting the anti-IR SAM laser heads on the rear fuselage. The one above is somewhat unique because it appears to have the old style brick IR jammer mounted immediately before the paratroop jump door. Haven't seen those in quite a while. Also noteworthy is what appears to be a scabbed on flare dispenser directly under the crew entry door on many of these birds.

It's also interesting that the J-model which is the most modern appears to have none of these items, while the older model Hercs have all the protective gear installed.

The Marines are also Flying with the "Old Brick IR Jammer" on their "J"'s in the same location on the Air deflector doors.

"Also noteworthy is what appears to be a scabbed on flare dispenser directly under the crew entry door on many of these birds."

If you look at the above pics of the J it also has them mounted on the left & right side of the fuselage ahead of the crew entrance door.

Cheers & Semper Fi-Jason

VMGR-152 KC-130J sitting in the rain on Iwo Jima.

20100302_IMG_3330.jpg

I really like this shot, very moody.

and in the sun.

20100302_IMG_3309.jpg

Cheers & Semper Fi-Jason

Man, that vert stab leading edge paint is chewed up.

Thanks for posting your pics.

mason

I really like this shot, very moody.

20100302_IMG_3309.jpg

Man, that vert stab leading edge paint is chewed up.

Thanks for posting your pics.

mason

Mason- The primer(black) the Navy is useing is very slick once painted with the enviormently friendly grey paint does not bite well into the primer and flakes away.

Cheers & Semper Fi-Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Taken today over in the desert. I saw this one the other day at a different base over here, and was a bit surprised to see a Ramstein E-model Herk. I was told a few of their old E-models were sent back to Little Rock, and just haven't been repainted yet. She taxied in behind us and is doing an ERO - Engine Running Offload. Some places ask that we shut down the inboards as it is extremely hot back there as one can imagine! This photo turned out better than the other one I took the other day.

Mark

IMG_0229-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few I took over the past few months...

Can someone say... HOT BRAKES!!! A bad day for me!

Photo2267.jpg

Kevin working it like a rib!!

0413101430b.jpg

Working the NLG steering!

0322101034a.jpg

Checking for a gear rub... Yay!!! We fixed it!

0830101418a.jpg

Top of the engine..

0331100824a.jpg

0331100823b.jpg

216... My favorite plane!

Photo2611.jpg

0712101249a.jpg

A final message from the guys... Found this little message after removing the tire! Oh, and I don't love boys for the record!

0401101517a.jpg

Curt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...