Three Guys and a Tomcat-WE BE DONE BABY!!!!!

We'll we started this thing back in August with a completion date of around the end of October, first of November. Sooooo, here we are the second day of Feburary. :blink: The only "rule" we put on ourselves was that we all had to use Fightertown decals, other than that sky was the limit. The complete build thread can be seen Here Since Chuck finished first I'll post his stuff up first...

Chuck:

"This was my first Tomcat build, and while tough to wade through, it's a impressive kit. Thanks to JulienUK for the cool patch, and a shout out to James Corley at AAA Hobbys in Marietta, Ga. for shooting the pics. Now, on to the kit. Built with the excellent Aires F-14D set, but with BB seats. Reason being-moulded on seat belts!!!!! Model was brush painted with PollyScale paints. Panel lines highlighted with a wash of Vallejo Black Grey. BB BOL rails and bomb racks. That's about it guys. Will I build another, yes, just not in this decade! Fire away guys!"

CCook-F-14-02.jpg

CCook-F-14-03.jpg

CCook-F-14-08.jpg

CCook-F-14-09.jpg

CCook-F-14-10.jpg

CCook-F-14-13.jpg

CCook-F-14-19.jpg

CCook-F-14-23.jpg

Edited by willieself

Ok All Here's Mine...

I tried to convert an stock Pacific Fleet Boxing to a Bombcat using some scratch and resin pieces aquired thru various deals... The pit OOB with the exception of the seats.. Used a couple of Avionics samples... I scratched the antennas on the intakes FWD of the Wing Glove... Lantern pylon from a doner kit and Pod from Weaps D.... The L/H Nose ldg Door was a resin peice from an unknown update set. And the bomb racks are from Steel Beach.. Many errors on this but it does look pretty cool!!!

If ya'll haven't had the oppertunity to use Fightertown Decals yet... DO NOT HESITATE!! These things ROCK!!!

Had a blast on this little group build! These other 2 characters in this deal are good as gold!! So What's Next!!! Dare I say..... F/A-18F Builds???? Thanks to all that have followed our build!!!

On to the picks!

Please forgive the Photo's.. Tried several different locals.. And used the best of all!

DSC00850.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00813.jpg

DSC00815.jpg

DSC00816.jpg

DSC00817.jpg

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

very nice indeed! all three! i loved the build thread and i love the finished products.

a few comments about each one...

Chuck:

I love it, i cant belive that is brush painted, what a great finish! great work on the aires cockpit (i know its a royal pain to fit)

Tweaker:

love the overall finish, what colour did you use for the aint-glare section, you got a really nice scale finish on that. nice work on the kit pit as well as all your extras. But i couldnt help be distracted to the bottle of jack daniels single barrel. It made me want to open mine!!! (which i have forbidden myself from doing for at least 5 years) lol

Willieself:

very nice indeed. not very often we see a clean cat. love the decal work and the photography inst bad at all!

nice one guys!!! if you do a bug build i will deffinatly be following that!!

Great Job Guy's! Those are some nice looking models you have there. I am glad you used our decals. I will get these put up on our site asap.

Can each of you pm me your full name so when I place it on the site, or however you would like to be known as.

Great job again. I just keep going over these pics.

Mike

Thanks All for ur Kind words... I really appriciate it!!

Tweaker:

love the overall finish, what colour did you use for the aint-glare section, you got a really nice scale finish on that. nice work on the kit pit as well as all your extras. But i couldnt help be distracted to the bottle of jack daniels single barrel. It made me want to open mine!!! (which i have forbidden myself from doing for at least 5 years) lol

RJ- Thanks bud!! I used "Mr Color" Laquer #301, FS36081. And the only reason for that was purely by chance.. I realized that I had none of this color in my stash!! I tried to lighten Tamiya "Nato Black" and used it on my tails... But as U all can see.. It's WAY too dark... But the decals were on the tail and there was no turning back!! The only brand I could find locally was the Mr. Color shade.. And I think I'll stick w/ it at least until I can score some acrylic.. I thought the Pick over the booze was pretty cool as well.. Totally un planed.. SWMBO decided to have a go at takin' some picks and wanted to use her new end table as a base!! That stuff was baught back in Sept when I just arrived here after a 3 yr "DRY tour in the sand.. Kinda went "Ape S**t at the class 6.. But I still haven't touched it either.. And probably won't.. At least until my Daughters arrive in March (Yes they are both over 21) :thumbsup:

Well I think the F Hornet MGB is a go... Looking at starting around spring break time... Anyone interested is free to join in the Fun!!!

Thanks Again All!!!

Dave

Edited by Tomcat Tweeker

Those jets look fantastic and it is such a pleasure to see our decals in use and hear how much you guys liked them. Since it's kind of a Fightertown Decals group build, I guess we should supply prizes....

And for the picture of Jack and Tomcat - it's a great combination (if you're over 21 and drink responsibly) Just ask Darren Roberts about VF-11 and Wild Turkey :thumbsup: And don't even get me started with Tomcat Sunset o'club bar stories. Ran into a Capt (now RADM) I hadn't seen in a long, long time - before I was even a bar toting Ensign - and somehow ended up at the back bar with some kinda low grade bourbon whiskey and three women of 'un'questionable reputable status. All I can say is never, ever switch to the cheap stuff when you've been drinking the good stuff all night...but alas, I've had 1...or 4 tonight and should end this post now -- oops, I guess I told a story after all...

Back to the Tomcats - great job guys! It truly is a great feeling seeing those decals in use. Btw - Chuck - did something happen to the yellow shadows for 200? If you need a spare set I've got some I can send your way. And that looks amazing for brush painting!

Dave - BKR rules!!! And the dark gray looks perfect.

Will - Pukin' Dogs, baby! Something eternally sexy about the Tomcat with the canopy down!

Anthony - Still needing those Vandy decals?...

Congrats guys - can't wait to see the next round. And we've got more Superhornets on the way!

Nice work guys!!

Chuck, thats an outstanding paintjob, I never would have guessed it was brushed!

Dave, wicked choice of markings and the weathering looks spot on. Nice bottle of Jack too, don't try drinking and painting though, you may pick up the wrong thing, don't ask me how I know ... :thumbsup:

Will, Nice clean tidy job, the pastel wash came out well, nice and subtle!

Looks like you had fun! Makes me want to join the Hornet build ;)

Gary

Hey Guys,

Thank you for your kind words. I've developed a pretty good technique for brush painting. Works pretty good on later aircraft and I enjoy doing it. I know I've got to break down and go the airbrush route, if nothing else because of the greater range of paint jobs one can do. As for the decals, I don't see how they could be better, Excellent in in all respects. Brian, on the version of Bloodhound 200 I did I must have missed the yellow shadowing on the 200 nose code. I thought those were used on the earlier version of the same aircraft. I'm probably wrong. Once again, thanks for the kind words, and I'll accept any advice on how to improve my meager skills.

Chuck

Oh yeah, must say thanks to AP Hancock for the help he gave me on the build. First rate guy.

don't try drinking and painting though, you may pick up the wrong thing, don't ask me how I know

oh i know this lol, i had a glass of jack, and [picked up my paint brush water instead, just got it to my lips and realised it was plastic and not glass lol.

so guys, DO drink and paint....just keep the glass away from everything else! lol