I'm about to go to work here (how do they always call just as i sit down with a kit and some paint?) so i will make this quick. I just ordered my 4th osprey modeling guide this will mean i have one for the F-4, F-18, Harrier, and soon corsair. So my question is where is the Tomcat book? I know there are a few people in here who could write that book single handedly! i loved Darren Robert's Article on the Top Gun cat in FSM and i think there is plenty of room for more. Tomcats are so popular on ARC and there are some talented folks here who put them together. it seems like money in the bank! along with a basic block breakdown and some other tomcat version explanations (those questions are often asked here) possible articles:

Prototype tomcats (there were 12 originals)

First Cruise Cats

Hi Vis cats through the 70's and 80's/ CAGS/ Throw backs

Iranian Tomcats (old and new camo)

Aggressors

Bombcats

Test cats (NF-14D, Salty dogs ETC)

Movie cats

Vandy One and other VX squadrons

Libyan, Iraq, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq again Tomcats

Tomcat Sunset/ Decommission schemes

and im going to say it: What if schemes USMC, Canada, Australia, Israel, Japan, Germany, and the UK but the above is more important of course

:deadhorse1:

Semper Fi,

Ben

Instead of dropping a hint I'll just come out and say it. I've been working on something along those lines for awhile now to be released through Fightertown Decals. As to when or how it gets published is not decided but it would be something to make Tomcat modeling fans happy.

There, I put it out there.

Have a nice day! :deadhorse1:

-brian

I am still hard at work on my third (and last) Tomcat book. I was hoping to have it out by last Christmas but the date slipped. I then planned for Christmas 2008 and now that date too has slipped by. Maybe sometime in 09. I'm still searching for a handful of BuNos and for images of most of the Iranian fleet. I do not want to use any images used in Tomcat Alley. I also do not want to give out too many details in this forum. However, I will say it will be bigger, more colorful and have more air-to-air and more CAGs than Tomcat Alley. I've been receiving images and volumes of information on specific cats, pilots and RIOs directly from the Tomcat community. Please stay tuned for further developments.

That is all.

Edited by Sig Saur & Son

I've often wondered why Osprey never released a book about modeling the Tomcat, since it's such a popular subject. I wouldn't mind contributing to such a project, but I wouldn't want to tackle it single-handed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I perceive writing a book to very time-consuming as opposed to an article, which is a fun, quick fix for the writer. Between teaching, family, SB, and writing for FSM, I don't think I'd have the time to do a book. A chapter, maybe, but not the whole thing. So, if anybody out there wants to start the project, I'll be happy to chip in a chapter or two!

I am still hard at work on my third (and last) Tomcat book. I was hoping to have it out by last Christmas but the date slipped. I then planned for Christmas 2008 and now that date too has slipped by. Maybe sometime in 09. I'm still searching for a handful of BuNos and for images of most of the Iranian fleet. I do not want to use any images used in Tomcat Alley. I also do not want to give out too many details in this forum. However, I will say it will be bigger, more colorful and have more air-to-air and more CAGs than Tomcat Alley. I've been receiving images and volumes of information on specific cats, pilots and RIOs directly from the Tomcat community. Please stay tuned for further developments.

That is all.

this is one book I'd definitely get!

Dave, FYI... Iran is having a military parade on Thursday (tomorrow) and according to Alert5, a Tomcat is going to be flying over. Not sure if that info is helpful or accurate for you though.

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=166347

Disclaimer: PLEASE, NO POLITICAL REPLIES TO THIS. Enough said.

That is all.

Are you the one who came out with Tomcat Alley? I have been thinking about getting that, but I guess, now I'll just wait little bit longer and get the newer book. More photos are always cool... :P

Mike

I've often wondered why Osprey never released a book about modeling the Tomcat, since it's such a popular subject. I wouldn't mind contributing to such a project, but I wouldn't want to tackle it single-handed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I perceive writing a book to very time-consuming as opposed to an article, which is a fun, quick fix for the writer. Between teaching, family, SB, and writing for FSM, I don't think I'd have the time to do a book. A chapter, maybe, but not the whole thing. So, if anybody out there wants to start the project, I'll be happy to chip in a chapter or two!

Exactly, lots of folks could pitch in i see people on this site all the time with fantastic research, first hand knowledge of the Tomcat, and instructional ability (see VF-103 Guy's article on fading TPS) . the book would make some money. as i listed all the subjects that could be done i realize there are a lot of different cats even though they are only operated by two (one now) countries. lots of schemes, diorama options, aftermarket stuff (with more on the way hopefully :cheers: ) and of course tons of maintenance panels to open, and one in every scale. there are a lot of "little tricks" to building one that could really help people (like Darren's Monogram Tomcat in FSM) Someone could really go the whole nine on a 1/32 Tamiya too.

Are you the one who came out with Tomcat Alley? I have been thinking about getting that, but I guess, now I'll just wait little bit longer and get the newer book. More photos are always cool... :bandhead2:

Mike

Yes, I'm the one. The format, tracking by bureau number, will remain the same. The photography will be new. There will of course be more history, a lot has happened since goingto press in '98. I hope the two volumes compliment each other, together making a complete picture reference on the Tomcat. If you want a signed copy of Tomcat Alley, send me a PM.

Tomcats Forever,

Dave

This post kinda lit a fire, so to speak and it's been a busy day. So here's the gouge on the project I'm working on. You asked for a Tomcat modeling book?

Tomcat in Scale: Modeling the F-14A/B/D. Release date is Late 08.

It will cover the Tomcat from the modeling perspective in general with regards to blocks/upgrades/dates/squadrons. It will also have a breakdown of what needs to be done to the kits to achieve that accuracy. The bulk of the book will be step by step build guides to the different kits with the main focus being the Hasegawa 1/48 and 1/72. It's safe to say that one of the resident experts on the AcadRevOgram kit will be a major contributor to those manufacturer's section. Finally the Tamiya 1/32 and various 1/144 kits section will round it out. We'll try and have a complete listing of aftermarket stuff available. And I'm just guessing here, but Fightertown Decals and a few other manufacturer's products will be highlighted. Whew - that's a big list and it will have to be condensed into a reasonable size so that we can actually print and sell copies. Price TBD.

A couple things that I'm looking for is someone that wants to contribute some on the Revell 1/32 kit as I don't have one and don't plan on it, but would like to cover some. Also if you've built a 'publishable' quality Tomcat model and would like to have it included, I'd love to have a gallery section!

I'll be looking for some good reference stuff to round out my collection so if you've shot any of the jets with modeling in mind and would like to contribute - let's talk. Always looking for more cockpit/bay/panel/engine/weapons details. I'm trying not to duplicate anything else that's out there so the reference will be in line with actually building the model. Besides, I don't want to try and do a copy of the DACO book and our main focus is the "building" of the model.

So there you've got it!

thanks,

Brian

Oh, and BUY Dave Brown's Tomcat Alley!

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals
This post kinda lit a fire, so to speak and it's been a busy day. So here's the gouge on the project I'm working on. You asked for a Tomcat modeling book?

Tomcat in Scale: Modeling the F-14A/B/D. Release date is Late 08.

It will cover the Tomcat from the modeling perspective in general with regards to blocks/upgrades/dates/squadrons. It will also have a breakdown of what needs to be done to the kits to achieve that accuracy. The bulk of the book will be step by step build guides to the different kits with the main focus being the Hasegawa 1/48 and 1/72. It's safe to say that one of the resident experts on the AcadRevOgram kit will be a major contributor to those manufacturer's section. Finally the Tamiya 1/32 and various 1/144 kits section will round it out. We'll try and have a complete listing of aftermarket stuff available. And I'm just guessing here, but Fightertown Decals and a few other manufacturer's products will be highlighted. Whew - that's a big list and it will have to be condensed into a reasonable size so that we can actually print and sell copies. Price TBD.

A couple things that I'm looking for is someone that wants to contribute some on the Revell 1/32 kit as I don't have one and don't plan on it, but would like to cover some. Also if you've built a 'publishable' quality Tomcat model and would like to have it included, I'd love to have a gallery section!

I'll be looking for some good reference stuff to round out my collection so if you've shot any of the jets with modeling in mind and would like to contribute - let's talk. Always looking for more cockpit/bay/panel/engine/weapons details. I'm trying not to duplicate anything else that's out there so the reference will be in line with actually building the model. Besides, I don't want to try and do a copy of the DACO book and our main focus is the "building" of the model.

So there you've got it!

thanks,

Brian

Oh, and BUY Dave Brown's Tomcat Alley!

Right on Brian!! and Tomcat Alley does rock, if you are a Tomcat fan and don't have it you need to talk to Dave. I have never seen a book like it or since and i love all the tail fins and patches at the end i will not miss your next book Dave even if its published in 2012.

That Revell Tomcat is superb VF-103 guy!! :whistle:

more Revell:

http://www.scalemodelart.com/frames/f14_02_progress.htm

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/J...dt/f14/f14.html

Tamiya:

http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/F14D/photo_frame.htm

How many do they still have flying? Are they still TF30-powered?

The Iranian Tomcats are TF30-414 powered. The latest issue of International Air Power Review (Volume 23) featured their Cats. It states that of the original 79 Cats delivered 44 are still operational.

Guess I kinda just let the cat out of the bag... Anyone want to bet we'll see the Osprey book in August?...

-brian

It won't matter. Osprey sometimes lacks authors with subject matter expertise, while your book will have expertise to spare. This sounds like a wonderful project.

Jake

I would be willing to contribute some stuff to such a book project if so requested. I've been toying with what it might take to turn a Tomcat model into a Prototype bird in fact. Plus I have a few images stashed away of the F-14A with its TF-30s still installed down at the Valiant Air Command Warbird museum in Titusville which I shot pictures of for my own reference purposes. It is a pretty close approximation to a line bird as they kept it in pretty much the same condition as it was when the Navy last flew it. And it is sitting in a hangar as well, so it hasn't been sitting out in the elements. The gear stance is just a little oddball since the hydraulic fluid was bled out of the gear struts a long time ago.

wmF-14small.jpg

Edited by Jay Chladek

Would it be total blasphemy to say that we've talked about a Superhornet follow on... Ok, now I'm just getting crazy ahead of myself. But seriously when you guys see what we've got going into this - jaw's will crash through the floor so hard you'll have to dig them out!

Y'all can come along if you like :thumbsup:

-brian