1/32 MiG-29 Details and corrections

Zactoman, if you don't mind me asking, how do you create such perfect panel lines and rivets on your parts?

I've never seen rivets so perfectly spaced with just the right amount of depth and size.

Edited by AlexP
The original Revell offering had the deep engine tunnels and stepped transition piece between them and the intakes. The RoG boxing that I've seen (red, yellow,black German scheme) has the less deep engine tunnels with a smoother transition piece like in the UB kit. All still have the same undersized exhausts, though.
>>>This post<<< has a pic showing the difference.

Is it correct to assume that there were only two different boxings then? (Two different box arts?)

Zactoman, if you don't mind me asking, how do you create such perfect panel lines and rivets on your parts?

I've never seen rivets so perfectly spaced with just the right amount of depth and size.

Thanks Alex :cheers:

Check here: http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/101-200/tnt132_...lson/tnt132.htm

or for more info, here: http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1246705 and http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index....t&p=1262351

HTH

:cheers:

Is it correct to assume that there were only two different boxings then? (Two different box arts?)

The original US Revell kit 4717 had the original deep engine tunnels and stepped transition piece. The 1991 RoG UB kit, 4751, and 2002 RoG single seater reissue, 04707, had the "corrected" tunnels.

I don't think the UB was ever reissued, but for some reason I'm thinking there might have been another RoG single seater release, but I could be mistaken. I think 4717 was the only US Revell release, all of the others were RoG. The above three kits I'm sure of as I have all three.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info Dave :cheers:

Fresh from the Zactomodels oven:

MiG_fix_43.jpg

Almost everything stuck on a kit:

MiG_fix_44.jpg

I did forget to include these little bumps on the previous photo:

MiG_fix_45.jpg

Not that the kit bumps are terrible, but they are too far inboard. This is especially obvious on the Fulcrum C conversion that I'm working on.

The little scoops in that picture go on the sides of the engine tunnels:

MiG_fix_46.jpg

They are quite a bit smaller than those included in the Revell kit.

Here's the spine scoop in resin:

MiG_fix_47.jpg

I finished off the tops of the engine tunnels:

MiG_fix_48.jpg

Here with the cover in place, the latch mechanism is just visible:

MiG_fix_49.jpg

The nosecone and pitot in resin:

MiG_fix_50.jpg

I will be including 2 pitot as I did with my Su-27 nosecone.

The IRST platform and mechanism:

MiG_fix_51.jpg

I made the mechanism slightly undersized so the kit dome can be used.

And finally I decided to replace the housing at the rear of the cockpit since I modified the hinge area:

MiG_fix_52.jpg

I still have to make the extra tunnel pieces for the 'retooled' Revell kit. I'll be doing that in the coming days as well as working on the instruction sheets...

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

I'll be releasing it soon enough...

I've been very distracted lately. I've been suffering 'writers/artists block' in doing the instruction sheets, pulling my hair out trying to get successful molds and casts on the exhausts, shoveling lots of snow and (fortunately) filling several orders on my previous products.

:D

I've been very distracted lately. I've been suffering 'writers/artists block' in doing the instruction sheets, pulling my hair out trying to get successful molds and casts on the exhausts, shoveling lots of snow and (fortunately) filling several orders on my previous products.

Hi Chris,

Judging by the quality of the exhausts that I purchased, you have succeeded! :bandhead2: Truly magnificent castings, and outstandingly packaged too! :worship: Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Marco

:thumbsup:

Glad to read an update Chris. I hope the writers block doesn't last long. I hope to have a Revell kit in hand soon and will order as soon as the Update/9-13 is available.

The final parts for the correction set are ready for a mold.

MiG_fix_53.jpg

While these parts are really only neccessary for the Revell Germany re-tooled kits, I'll be including them with all sets and listing them as optional for the Revell US release.

In addition to added panel lines and rivet detail tThere is some extra detail on them around the wheel bay opening which will work well with an aftermarket wheel bay set :whistle:

Next up is the instruction sheet...

:thumbsup:

The final parts for the correction set are ready for a mold.

{~snip~}...........................

There is some extra detail on them around the wheel bay opening which will work well with an aftermarket wheel bay set :cheers:

Ha ha,.....you tease!! :lol:

Since I'm not aware of any current aftermarket wheel bays for the -29 that can only mean "a manufacturer" is planning a future release........... ;)

:yahoo:

Great work as usual Chris, this will be the making of the Revell kit. (I only hope I can find one to buy somewhere.)

:blink:

p.s,.....any idea how this one will sit with all of the resin attached?

Chris,

When you evetually post these sets on your site, please also show box art photos of "new tool" and "old tool" kits for those of us who are not experts on the different versions. Thank you.

Terry

US Revell kit 4717 is the only boxing of the "old" tool kit that I know of. The other releases are all RoG kits and are "new" tool.

No question! Also standing by for all the follow-on releases. Of course about the time we get all those, and all make our first cuts on the Revell version, we'll get some sweet new tool 1/32 MiG-29...

Ah, but them's the breaks!

Bring it on Zacto, credit cards are standing by!