Trumpy's new 1/32 Tomcat

Some more pics from LSP:

11292008713yd3.jpg

11292008715xl2.jpg

11292008718mh6.jpg

11292008719rs7.jpg

11292008720as1.jpg

IMO, can't you all at least wait until you have the kit in your hands to start bashing it.

I know I'm getting at least 1, no way in h*ll I'm going to do another tamiya cat.

Edited by leverancier
Another thing to think about is maybe the guy who put it together didnt have instructions to go on or has never seen a tomcat (IF thats possible :thumbsup:) he might be a ship or armor guy and just threw it together Erick

I was talking, at our recent Nationals, to the girl who won the Trumpeter competition, in 2006, and has visited the factory. Trumpeter have no modellers working for them, only engineers; all that they have, to go on, are any drawings, photographs, etc., which they've managed to collect. There are few employees, and no storage space; as everything is built, it's shipped out. If they hit a snag, with a mould, it's shelved, until a cure can be found, hence the long delays in the appearance of some kits. Although things appear to be slightly more relaxed, in China, I can't help but wonder how many opportunities they get to visit other countries, to view the real thing.

Edgar

hey, i think what theyve done is found where the frames were, and added the rivets along these frame lines and rib lines. but theyve done it in the same fashon as a WW2 fighter or 50 - 60's 70's jet.

But a tomcat is different, heaps of rivets are there. but theyre filled over and smoothed off so perfectly, that you can't see them. You cannot tell me that theres hardly any rivets holding together a fighter like that. grumman have spent a lot of time and money getting the surface of the jet perfect.

thats trumpeter's mistake. it looks like theve put cold war era surface finish on a high tech jet. theyre still flush, but not tidy.tomcats would be milled down, smoothed over, whatever. beleive me, i work on planes, i put a row of flush rivets in once without countersinking deep enough! they made me hand mill down every single one till it was perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

no kit is without work if you want an accurate one. this is a hobby for me and i like to engoy my hobby.

I stand by my original statement. i dont care what the surface looks like, im camping outside the hobby shop the day theyre released and im buing 23 of them. :-) hehe

how good are they goin to look in the loungeroom cabinet built and painted.... whoooaaagh... i cant wait.

benny

Edited by benjo

I agree, the rivet issue is a non-issue because it's the easiest to remedy. I like what I see so far and the bleed vents on the turtle back look like seperate parts. Would be nice if they offer a choice of beaver tails, wheels, gun vents and external fueel tanks.

Tomcats Forever,

Dave

sure, why not, i'll add my two cents in.

IMHO, i think i would rather have slightly overdone rivets to be filled than to have no rivets or "underdone" rivets. As was pointed out, there are many rivets on the real plane, they just happen to be flush. Weathering on the real aircraft brings out those rivets in certain areas. I think having rivets and filling them in at least gives you guides to pick and choose which rivets to accent and which ones to not. but all in all, i think the kit LOOKS pretty good so far.

I do welcome ANY AND ALL critiques and praises, shreading or worshipping of new kits. sometimes i agree with the opinion, sometimes i don't. That's called discussion. I likes it. :woot.gif:

Bill

Please note that the pics posted above by leverancier were from our recent Nationals...I do not know who built it, but it was done in a hurry, as the previous night saw the kit still attached to the sprues; no instructions nor decals came with the kit, as the norm when we recieve test-shots from Trumpeter.

:)

BT6

IMO, can't you all at least wait until you have the kit in your hands to start bashing it.

I know I'm getting at least 1, no way in h*ll I'm going to do another tamiya cat.

If someone sees something wrong with it now, why wait until the kit comes out to "bash" it? If we talk about it now, maybe it will be fixed before the kit goes into production.

I have been working on a Tamiya 1/32 F-14 Tomcat converted to a B for over 3 1/2 yearsand I still don't have flaps that go down or a gun bay.

Although, if they are going to do something, at least get the nose done right. Everything else is fixable.

Rivets or no rivets for years I have been on this site hearing people complain (me included) for a new 1/32 F-14 Tomcat tooling and one Hopefully is on the horizon and people are still trying to find reasons to knock it. Unfortunately nothing is ever perfect so we must accept what may be a great upgrade for this plane.

If Trumpeter engineers don't get the opportunity to get over here, do they have reference items? Only thing they need is the DACO Book! That thing is an F-14 Tomcat Bible.

I think it looks great and I am going to buy 5 of them. We will need some decals preferably the Black Lion hi-viz CAG jet and the 2004 Grim Reapers hi-viz bird and the VF-31 CAG birds from the last cruise.

I have 5% started on another F-14 Tamiya cat converted to a D for the group build and I know it is a lot of work but man it is such a sweet looking bird when completed.

Let's keep a positive outlook. A new Superhornet and a new Tomcat at 1/32! WOW!

I will need more money

I want a 1:32 Voodoo.... I want a 1:32 Dart.

Ditto, but a nice 21stC kit of an F-14 certainly is high up there. The glue in the wing lines in the limited pics we have been exposed to suggests separate flaps, spoilers for all those twiddly bits on the wings Slartibartfast, though for me that just means an easier paint job before having them shut, and wings folded to fit on the shelf.

The problem with references for manufacturers is that the old twin-tailed 'Cat has been heavily demilitarised in all the museums now it's out of service, to deny Iran any spares, presenting manufacturers with access issues too. The one I visited (again) at NEAM has a blue canopy and crackle-finish horizontal tails (or was that standard after multiple coats of paint?).

"I am Chinese, and I want to run a tape measure over your Tomcat"

Why, are you thinking of making illicit parts for somebody?

"No, just a big model!"

Go to the back of the queue, son, and don't call us again

"Okay, I go to wide angle photos and interpret the shape really right"

Tony T

The problem with references for manufacturers is that the old twin-tailed 'Cat has been heavily demilitarised in all the museums now it's out of service, to deny Iran any spares, presenting manufacturers with access issues too. The one I visited (again) at NEAM has a blue canopy and crackle-finish horizontal tails (or was that standard after multiple coats of paint?).

"No, just a big model!"

Tony T

There's one nicely restored aboard the Midway here in San Diego which is accessible daily by anyone with $20 to come aboard. While you may not be able to climb all over it, there is no restriction for taking all the detailed photos desired. Of course, with any museum bird, there have been compromises and demilitarization which has taken place - and museum paint jobs/markings can never -NEVER- be trusted with regard to accuracy no matter how nicely done.

If Trumpeter wants to do an accurate F-14, or any other aircraft (especially aircraft that are no longer in the active inventory) then all they have to do is make an effort. Heck, start with a couple specific individuals here on ARC, at least one of whom has already offered (practically begged) to help at no charge - and a number of accuracy issues (pick your pet peeve) can be laid to rest upfront. Understand it will be nice to have a new tool 1/32 Tomcat - but how much nicer to have one that, if it is going to tip the price scales at $200 US or more, it be faithful in scale, shape and details (such as panel lines, rivets, and cockpit details). Just my thoughts as a NavAir kinda guy, and 1/32 builder.

Edited by Harv
There's one nicely restored aboard the Midway here in San Diego which is accessible daily by anyone with $20 to come aboard.

San Diego, here we come! I have wanted to visit the Museum ever since Al Palmer (ex Linebacker Weasel Phantom WSO/EWO, later NFO on Checkmates Tomcats in the 1970s) was curator and strongly advised a visit but he's since moved to Hawaii and I don't know what's going on there - will happily pay $20 per person, and visit the hardware. We love California. One for the holiday diary!

Cheers

Tony T

I thought China and Iran were allies, still Tomcats to measure there...

They keep those things pretty close to their chest. I give really long odds against the Iranians letting ANYONE (regardless of outside nationality) get close to their F-14s unless they're either flying them, or maintaining them (and in years past have shown that even THEN you are subject to government scruitny)

There are plenty of ways for the Chinese to get a hold of an accurate set of line drawings of an F-14 of any type. All of them perfectly legal and over the table.

EXAMPLE 1. Bashing - I think this model is a piece of ________ (fill in expletive of choice) and i think anyone would be wasting their money if they buy it.

Example 2. Constructive Critique - I think they've overdone the rivet details and the nose is not really the correct shape. I think i'll pass on purchasing this kit unless they take measures to fix these areas of concern.

for the most part, most of what has been said here is like example 2. but even if there are some example 1s, who cares? does it hurt anyone?

I just wish i could afford the kit when and if it comes out.

Bill

San Diego, here we come! I have wanted to visit the Museum ever since Al Palmer (ex Linebacker Weasel Phantom WSO/EWO, later NFO on Checkmates Tomcats in the 1970s) was curator and strongly advised a visit but he's since moved to Hawaii and I don't know what's going on there - will happily pay $20 per person, and visit the hardware. We love California. One for the holiday diary!

Cheers

Tony T

The Midway Museum was nice from the start, and in the relatively few years it has been open to the public, there have been tremendous improvements in the number of displays, areas open for viewing, and the growing 'air wing' onboard. If you venture out here to SoCal, make it known before hand as there are a number of 'ARC Mafia' located here in the San Diego area, and more than happy to work an ARC hook-up for Aviation-related touring. A bunch of us are associated with the San Diego Aerospace Museum modeler's group, and look for reasons to visit the SDAM in Balboa Park, as well as the Annex out at Gillespie Field (where the monthly group meetings occur). There's also MCAS Miramar's Flying Leatherneck Museum, and of course the Midway as already mentioned. Plenty to see/do here if you love aviation, especially Navy and Marines...

...Sorry for the hijack; now back to our regularly-scheduled Trumpeter Bashing/Critiquing ;)

Edited by Harv
The Midway Museum was nice from the start, and in the relatively few years it has been open to the public, there have been tremendous improvements in the number of displays, areas open for viewing, and the growing 'air wing' onboard. If you venture out here to SoCal, make it known before hand as there are a number of 'ARC Mafia' located here in the San Diego area, and more than happy to work an ARC hook-up for Aviation-related touring. A bunch of us are associated with the San Diego Aerospace Museum modeler's group, and look for reasons to visit the SDAM in Balboa Park, as well as the Annex out at Gillespie Field (where the monthly group meetings occur). There's also MCAS Miramar's Flying Leatherneck Museum, and of course the Midway as already mentioned. Plenty to see/do here if you love aviation, especially Navy and Marines...

...Sorry for the hijack; now back to our regularly-scheduled Trumpeter Bashing/Critiquing ;)

Cheers Harv

Will definitely make contact with with the 'ARC Mafia' in SoCal, and note that in the diary. And good to give you a well-deserved plug.

Cheers

Tony T

Ditto, but a nice 21stC kit of an F-14 certainly is high up there. The glue in the wing lines in the limited pics we have been exposed to suggests separate flaps, spoilers for all those twiddly bits on the wings Slartibartfast, though for me that just means an easier paint job before having them shut, and wings folded to fit on the shelf.

"No, just a big model!"

Tony T

I doubt lack of available references is the cause of kit inaccuracies. The fact that the tomcat is retired shouldn't really make much difference. If it was still in active service the conversation would sound the same. I think the tomcat being in museums should make it easier to get access. After all demiling them does not really change the features that the modelers care about. It is the guts inside that get taken out.

:thumbsup: I am really happy to see that a new 1/32 tomcat is on the way

I understand that for a chinese company it is pretty hard to get the exact look

of the tomcat but I agree with Sillymay all they need is Daco book

I have it and honestly : with it you can spot all the rivets and shape

it is amazing = You do not need to see the real plane :lol: :sunrevolves:

pls pls give us a great tomcat

looking good so far

Just a request from an 1/32 ******** builder that I am :P

My theory for the rivets is that an exec at Trumpy has a son with ADHD who can't hold down a job and he stuck him in the mold making dept. None of the employees want to criticize the boss's son and the boss thinks his son is good since the rivets are all in a nice pretty row and so doesn't listen to the likely countless email saying there are too many freaking rivets.

QUOTE (graves_09 @ Dec 2 2008, 03:51 PM)

I doubt lack of available references is the cause of kit inaccuracies. The fact that the tomcat is retired shouldn't really make much difference. If it was still in active service the conversation would sound the same. I think the tomcat being in museums should make it easier to get access. After all demiling them does not really change the features that the modelers care about. It is the guts inside that get taken out.

But, this asusmes that Trumpeter either:

1) Wants to spend the funding to send people to the US to actually measure up a retired Tomcat.

2) Has the funding to spend on sending someone to the US to measure up a Tomcat. Assuming that the company gets to the US, one wonders how easily they would actually get access to a Tomcat, retired or not.

Colin, as I attempted to point out, accessing a well-preserved F-14 is easy to do if the desire is there. It would be harder for a Trumpeter employee (engineer/designer/machinist) to get through Customs (i.e. NOT too hard at all) and Immigration at LAX than to walk aboard the Midway museum with all the other tourists and measure/snap away. (No passport required to buy a ticket and cross the quarterdeck). AND they don't really even need to send anyone. IF they DESIRED to 'get it right' all they have to do is talk to Brian from FTD or some others, and they'd have all the free advice and assistance they'd ever need. But, if 'good enough' is good enough for them, then they can go out and buy a Tamiya kit, and an aftermarket cockpit, and copy away (Thanks, Zactoman, for your help on the SU-27 'fixes' - whether unwittingly or not!). However, If, as a 1/32 builder by preference, I'm going to be expected to pay in all likelihood more for this kit than any other I've ever purchased, including an excellent Tamiya F-16 that is VERY accurate and VERY well engineered, then it better be that much better than the currently available offerings. If not, then I'm just trading one set of shortcomings for another, albeit at a higher price. ~What's the sense in that?