Tamiya /32nd scale F-14A Black Knights edition

FWIW - I always thought that the sidewalls that came with the Black Box/Avionix F-14 1/32 set had the best latches...

-brian

I concur, because I used them on my last F-14 build. The resin cockpit that comes with this kit, however, isn't near as nice as the Aires one, so there's always a compromise.

Hi Mark and Rocky, thanks for adding your kind and generous words, much appreciated. I'm thrilled that you like the progress thus far. :whistle:

FOD in the Cockpit!!!

Guy, that is going to cause every Maintenance Chief, QAR, and AME an heart attack. :lol:

Reddog :wave:

:lol: .....let's hope they don't fall down into the pedals.........

I'd planned to get the side walls done today but failed. The main grey colour is sprayed but all of the circuit breakers in the back 'pit are a nightmare. Each one is bordered by the thinnest of pale lines and has writing on it. I'm really struggling to get the lines fine enough and neat enough. I'm attempting to paint them with acrylic paint but it's difficult. Perhaps if I undercoat the panels with white enamel I could overpaint the black using acrylic and then use the back of a scalpel blade to get thinner white lines.......hmmmm...more thought is needed.

I did manage to paint the RIOs' centre stick however.

tn_Cockpitdetails5.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails6.jpg

I thought I'd seen a photo showing the interior of the opening at the front with all of the wires inside but I can't find it now.

I don't think much of it will be visible once the seat's in place anyway.

Keep well folks, see you next time,

:P

This is why I hurried to get my F-14 built ahead of Guy and Anders. With work like this next to my efforts, my Tomcat looks like crap! :woot.gif:

Now I can just enjoy the build like a guy who's never tried. Great work Guy! :jaw-dropping:

I did manage to paint the RIOs' centre stick however.

tn_Cockpitdetails5.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails6.jpg

Guy! That's really fantastic!! You know, I would say you made a 'delicious' paint work! You are a real artist! I take my hat off for you my friend!

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander.

:jaw-dropping:

Hi Mark and Rocky, thanks for adding your kind and generous words, much appreciated. I'm thrilled that you like the I did manage to paint the RIOs' centre stick however.

tn_Cockpitdetails5.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails6.jpg

I thought I'd seen a photo showing the interior of the opening at the front with all of the wires inside but I can't find it now.

I don't think much of it will be visible once the seat's in place anyway.

Keep well folks, see you next time,

:cheers:

The avionic box inside down there would be grey, wires grey and turn knobs are silver. Also, the radar control stick would be all black, no silver chipping, it was made of black plastic. And you're right, once the seat goes in you are not going to be able to see that area down there.

Reddog :salute:

Yep, it's me again folks,....kinda like a bad penny.... :lol:

Can't help it though, sorry, I'm enjoying this cockpit stuff :)

Hi richter111, thanks for stopping by, good to see you and thanks for the kind words.

With work like this next to my efforts, my Tomcat looks like crap!
Hi Chuck, I know you're joking. Your Tomcat turned out brilliantly. The fact that we use different approaches to our builds certainly does n't make yours any less accomplished. As you stated, your enjoyment stems from the painting and weathering stages, something you appear very good at. I thoroughly enjoyed following your F-14 build and picked up several tips to use. I'm also looking forward to more on your CF-18 soon. ;)
.........I would say you made a 'delicious' paint work!

Alexander.

Hello my friend. You are always so generous and encouraging. I appreciate your support throughout this build Alexander, thank you for your continuing interest and enthusiasm. :)

The avionic box inside down there would be grey, wires grey and turn knobs are silver. Also, the radar control stick would be all black, no silver chipping, it was made of black plastic. And you're right, once the seat goes in you are not going to be able to see that area down there.

Reddog

Hi Gerry, thanks for the help on that. I may pick the various conectors out just in case they can be glimpsed (but I doubt they will). It looks pretty tight down there with the seat in place. Thanks also for mentioning the chipping on control stick. I copied the photos on p74 of the DACO book which appeared kind of chipped and worn. Any ideas why the control stick in the photos looks the way it does?

Hello David, glad you likey, thanks for adding your kind words, always appreciated.

Just one photo today. A shot of the two RIO sidewalls. Perhaps you can see what I meant about scrappy paintwork......

tn_Cockpitdetails003.jpg

I'm hoping that once they are fixed in place, the angle that they sit at will make the details of the circuit breaker panels harder to see clearly.

It's all about smoke and mirrors is n't it?

I undercoated the cloth sections with Vallejo French grey and then misted light grey/blue in a downward direction from the top in the direction of the light.

A final dry brush on the high spots finished the job before some weathering with pastel powders to give that "lived in" look.

Pilots' sidewalls next. They should be a little easier as there is less clutter on them.

Ciao for now,......

Edited by geedubelyer

Thanks guys, I appreciate your generous words but I think Aires can take the credit for all of this. Their resin is first rate. Nearly every little detail is captured to perfection so all it takes is a bit of dry-brushing to lift the detail out.

Hi Gerry, no harm, no foul my friend. I had n't got around to changing the stick yet so thanks for getting back to me so quickly. ;)

I wondered why there seemed to be some marking of the black and you've explained it, thanks.

Guy,

......... I will now only speak when spoken to.

Reddog ;)

I sincerely hope you're joking bro' ;) I'm relying on your wealth of information and years of experience to keep me on track with this build Sir. I'd prefer that you pointed out issues as you see them. I'd like this build to look as much like a real bird as I can make it and I can't do that without help.

Please, keep adding your feedback Gerry, I appreciate all of your guidance. :rofl:

Ok, I'm out to work now. Hopefully back this evening with the front pit sidewalls.

Cheers,

:)

Excellent work on those cockpit details, I love those chips and scratches! :thumbsup:

Makes me want to get cracking on my Aires set right away.

Hi Anders, these locking latches are a challenge are n't they? I'd be interested to see how your technique works. I've never made a mould for use with molten plastic before. How would that process handle the undercuts I wonder?

It would be nice to be able to cast them in resin as I don't fancy hand carving so many tiny parts and trying to get them all the same. Trouble is, the only casting kit I've found is too expensive to justify for such a small quantity of parts. ;)

I guess you could carve the shape and then mould one half of it? The latches face the cockpit sidewall on one face so the same master could in theory be used to make both sides..........I think you may be onto something Anders, I'll have to experiment a bit.

Ah yes, I forgot to say that the final step would be to achieve the undercuts of each latch by cutting with the X-acto knife.

Hmm, this really sounds a bit complicated but this approach is the best I can come up with at this time.

Some more thinking is definately needed... :cheers:

Cheers,

Anders

Hi Anders,

Makes me want to get cracking on my Aires set right away.

Now that is something I'm looking forward to very much. Judging by the splendidly crisp paintwork in your front wheel well we are all in for a treat when you commence painting your Aires set :lol:

Ah yes, I forgot to say that the final step would be to achieve the undercuts of each latch by cutting with the X-acto knife.

Hmm, this really sounds a bit complicated but this approach is the best I can come up with at this time.

Some more thinking is definately needed.

Cheers,

Anders

Hmm,..those canopy latches are sure to create a headache. Chuck recently gave me a link to a cracking build of a F-14D where the builder omitted the locking latches due to lack of space. He reasoned that with just 1mm depth along the canopy rail, the latches would be visible from the side unlike the full sized article. Until I fit the cockpit into the forward fuselage I can't see whether there will be enough room or not. It may be that a representation of the latches using short, shaped lengths of plastic extrusion mounted onto the rail will be the best solution........

I tried to take some photos of the recent progress on the pit but my camera did n't want to play ball today.

These two are the best of a poor bunch but you can see that I'm beginning the detail paintwork.

tn_Cockpitdetails005.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails010.jpg

I found it necessary to repair many of the switches which had snapped off. The tiny slivers of resin are very fragile so I used wire super-glued into holes I drilled.

I've attempted to add a suggestion of the stencilling around the switches and knobs which makes each panel suitably busy looking.

Now a question.......does the pilot footwell have black non-slip tape applied at the curved edge. I've seen some photos showing the curved section in black, others are grey. I'd like to simulate some wear and tear to the floor so if you know, please tell me what it looks like down there.

Cheers,

:lol:

Edited by geedubelyer
Hi Anders,

I've attempted to add a suggestion of the stencilling around the switches and knobs which makes each panel suitably busy looking.

Cheers,

:lol:

Sure does make a huge difference too Guy! That looks outstanding :lol:

Wonderful build and a pleasure to watch-

Regards,

Pig

Hmm,..those canopy latches are sure to create a headache. Chuck recently gave me a link to a cracking build of a F-14D where the builder omitted the locking latches due to lack of space. He reasoned that with just 1mm depth along the canopy rail, the latches would be visible from the side unlike the full sized article. Until I fit the cockpit into the forward fuselage I can't see whether there will be enough room or not. It may be that a representation of the latches using short, shaped lengths of plastic extrusion mounted onto the rail will be the best solution........

:D

FWIW, the Black Box/Avionix canopy hooks are really good and nicely detailed. They are much better than the Teknics ones I used in my recent build, but then they also lack the cockpit sill (rail) detail which Teknics does have in a single piece of brass. The rear is also wrong, because there's only 2 hooks instead of 3. One thing I like is the front trim piece that is almost always missed.

Oh, I almost forgot, GREAT pit switches!

Edited by chuck540z3

Ahhhh...yes...Guy, I'm very glad to see you're back at it, and showing the 'Cat who's da' boss. Like others before me, your level of modeling is a pure pleasure to watch in-progress and even better to look at as a finished build.

Now a question.......does the pilot footwell have black non-slip tape applied at the curved edge. I've seen some photos showing the curved section in black, others are grey. I'd like to simulate some wear and tear to the floor so if you know, please tell me what it looks like down there.

Yes, it was standard to have the black non-skid on the curved edge and it would go back about a foot, to the rudder pedals. The non-skid was the same kind you would use for stairs, the peel and stick kind. A new piece would be flat black, afer a while it would get worn to a very dark grey.

HTH

Reddog :salute:

Who is still sitting in the corner, but lurking. :worship:

Edit: BTW, stop posting pics of the real thing and show us your model! I can make out each switch, knob and handle in that cockpit, and you have them painted 100% corrrect. Folks if you have never seen what the side consules of a Tomcat looks like, look a the pics above.

Edited by Reddog

Hi Pig, thanks. I saw you use the same technique on a Viper of yours and it looked great. Although these "stencils" are just blobs of very light grey paint, it adds to the busy look of modern jet cockpit.

Hey Chuck, thanks for the detail cockpit photos. They look great. The BB set would appear to do away with the Tamiya molded in rail and replace the whole thing with resin. It looks to be a sensible approach, the canopy locking latches look good. The Teknics hooks are a bit two-dimensional but they'd still be better than nothing. (You knew that they were in backwards though, right......? :salute: )

My plans will have to wait until I try a test fit of the Aires resin block into the opening. I'll have a better idea of how much room I've got to play with then. It might mean removing the Tamiya molding and fashioning a new one, we'll see.......

Hello Clif, good to see you here Sir. thanks for your kind and generous words, glad you're enjoying things so far. I hope you'll pop back regularly. :)

Yes, it was standard to have the black non-skid on the curved edge and it would go back about a foot, to the rudder pedals. The non-skid was the same kind you would use for stairs, the peel and stick kind. A new piece would be flat black, afer a while it would get worn to a very dark grey.

HTH

Reddog

Who is still sitting in the corner, but lurking.

Hi Gerry,

Hey, stop hiding in the corner and come out to play will ya.......... :cheers:

That info is exactly what I need, cheers.

It helps a great deal, I knew I could rely on you buddy. :worship:

Thanks also for your kind words, much appreciated.

Now that I know what's there I plan to try to wear the footwells some using the faded colour rather than new looking non-skid.

Gerry, is it the same in the RIO footwell? I'm looking at p133 of the DACO book and it looks to be just painted metal back there.......

Cheers,

*Edit* Here are a couple of slightly better shots now that the left hand side console is virtually complete.

I've done my best to add wear to the foot plate including a little primer showing through. I'm in two minds as to whether or not to paint all of the pipework behind the seat. It won't be seen but Aires have done such a splendid job of re-creating it all, it's hard to resist.......(same goes for the hoses down the side of the seat.)

tn_Cockpitdetails012.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails014.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails015.jpg

tn_Cockpitdetails016.jpg

The curved amber strip on the throttle quadrant is clear acetate tinted with ink. It appears that it would be colourless onthe full sized bird when new but turns amber as it ages......

Edited by geedubelyer

Fantastic work as usual Guy. You and Pete always blow me away with your ability to pick out those tiny details and make them look like they are added on, and not molded in place and painted. I guess I don't have a very steady hand anymore. One reason I stick to the old crates... there's less stuff to deal with..lol.

I've attempted to add a suggestion of the stenciling around the switches and knobs

Question if I may Guy. How did you do that? I have to make a circuit breaker panel for the Trimotor that goes between the pilot and copilot seats, and it's a pretty busy little item. I've thought of covering it with aluminum or bare metal and making tiny scratches with a sharp pointed tool, but thought it might look hokey. Yours looks pretty darn good, even under the revealing eye of the macro lens.

Keep up the great work. If I ever get around to building a propeller-less airplane, I think it'll be the Tomcat.

Cheers

Mike

Hey Chuck, thanks for the detail cockpit photos. They look great. The BB set would appear to do away with the Tamiya molded in rail and replace the whole thing with resin. It looks to be a sensible approach, the canopy locking latches look good. The Teknics hooks are a bit two-dimensional but they'd still be better than nothing. (You knew that they were in backwards though, right......? :) )

Wow, did you ever scare me! I thought that maybe I had installed them backwards permanently, but that pic was taken before I glued them in and, yes, they were backwards. Whew! :worship:

That cockpit is coming along splendidly! You really know how to take an already terrific resin piece up to the next level.

Gerry, is it the same in the RIO footwell? I'm looking at p133 of the DACO book and it looks to be just painted metal back there.......

Yes, the RIO's area had the non-skid also. Look at the bottom picture on page 82 and bottom left picture on page 94.

Reddog :thumbsup: