Me410 A-1: To The Finish! 11/7/10

Hauptman Hannah want's to know if well join you.....is..........she.............kidding!!!, does a wild bear sleep in the woods...man we'll be here before you!!!..will we be here jeeez...the most informative and entertaining thread in all of ARC. That answer would be a resounding YES!!, we'll be here.

Hi there, Chukw, mate! :D I've been followin' yer ambitious build since the day I signed in on this forum. Both yer idea of postin' updates 'n' the voluptuous Fräulein are very original 'n' worth followin,' but yer never endin' modellin' tips are very helpful as well. :D

Congratulations on these, mate.

As for the tips, I've been peepin' at those involving the straightenin' of warpages on resin parts, which is a matter I'm completely novice at. I understood the methods ya used to straighten a couple of warped pieces on yer build, but thing is all those parts ya straightened happened to be flat, so the methods ya employed didn't suit my needs... :(

I bought a resin 1/48th scale Kfir nose in order for it to be grafted onto the already horrible ESCI 1/48th scale Kfir C2 which I'm plannin' to put together. The kit's nose was so inaccurate that I got a replacement part for it. Problem is this resin part's got a minor warpage which I've got the faintest clue on how to straighten up. Here ya are a couple of pictures of the nose:

KfirResinNose2.jpg

The last segment of the nose probe's got a warpage to the left which is goin' to be a lot more noticeable when I graft the nose cone to the fuselage; all the more so after I place the probe itself. Here's how the nose probe looks like when seen head on:

KfirResinNose.jpg

Ya see...? Which method do ya suggest I use to straighten this warpage? Thank ya very much in advance, and I hope we see more updates of this incredible Me410 A-1 very soon.

"Chuks' Modeling School is now open for enrollment"...The line forms to the right, right behind me

Sign me in, Sign me in...!!! :lol:

Cheers!

Unc².

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, my friends! Uncle UnCool- your avatar is ridiculously hypnotic! As for straightening that warp, I might try drilling a hole in the center of the back, mounting screw and hanging it from a bit of thread. Give it a bath in some hot, but not boiling, water- and then hang it up to cool. Many peeps have noted that resin has a "memory"- the part just might go back to its original shape- or mean ol' Mr Gravity might show his friendly side and do the straightening for you. I'd also look up Master Caster Xactoman, and ask his considerably-more informed opinion.

Well, I've been working my tail off for the last two weeks and am beat. I've gotten a wee bit of modeling in, but not enough to do a real post, so Fritzi has kindly volunteered to model her new shorts. Take strength, oh friends in cold places- spring is coming!

Cheers!

chuk

Me410_454.jpg

Forget the shorts. We want a bikini! At most!

Great build Chuck. As have been all of your previous builds.

Very high in entertainment value.

I for one always look forward to your postings.

Thanks for sharing.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thanks, my friends!

Ya're quite welcome, chukw, mate! ;)

Uncle UnCool- your avatar is ridiculously hypnotic!

Yeh, ain't it? But be careful; it's still kinda strange the way in which my avatar made me won a fräulein's heart on the Bon Scott & the Sister of Fred Astaire forum... :blink: Said this teutonic sheila, to whom I will refer as "Elke Inge," though that ain't her real name, she surreptitiously perceived a message put across to her while peeping at my avatar's eyes; I don't know, like subliminally, she says. Next day I got my PM inbox flooded with love proposals from Elke Inge. Yet, on one of her PMs, she asked me whether or not whut my avatar mumbled at the end was the word "arschloch." Could be...

This Elke Inge sheila lives out in Solingen, and she says she's either comin' over to meet me in Buenos Aires or I'm goin' to meet her in Germany. Whut d'ya think I should do? Ain't Solingen the world's capital for knieves or sumthin' like that? Me is afraid to go over there, y'know, :jaw-dropping: even when this Elke Inge is all of a beauty.

Hey, I could always post a picture of her and one of her many intriguing PMs to me if so ya like. Her family name's Scheld (which me mistook for Schnell, at first). Anyone knows whut part in Germany it's originary from, meaning if it's really from Solingen?

As for straightening that warp, I might try drilling a hole in the center of the back, mounting screw and hanging it from a bit of thread. Give it a bath in some hot, but not boiling, water- and then hang it up to cool. Many peeps have noted that resin has a "memory"- the part just might go back to its original shape- or mean ol' Mr Gravity might show his friendly side and do the straightening for you.

Awlright, my mate, thanks! Next question would be, how long should I bath the resin nose in hot water? Won't the resin melt down easily? Sorry 'bout my so many hesitations, but I'm real new to resin parts; me doesn't even know whut the part is made of, as in which type of resin it is.

I'd also look up Master Caster Xactoman, and ask his considerably-more informed opinion.

Oh? Okay; will do, mate. Thanks once again for yer help.

Nice weekend to ya.

Unc²

Thanks, plasti-fiends!

Hey, Unk- just dip that beak in hot water for a minute or two. Do you have an old cut-off casting block you can practice on?

I've been busy- and distracted- and been screwing up! Fritzi will give you all the grisly details...

Me410_455.jpg

Me410_456.jpg

Me410_457.jpg

Me410_458.jpg

Me410_459.jpg

Me410_460.jpg

Me410_461.jpg

Hi Chuk,

I had a similar problem trying to mask the spinners for a 1:48th Mosquito I'm building. They required a blue spinner with a thin white band. I tried to use masks and masking tape cut into various shapes, but the best solution I came up with was to cover the entire spinner with masking tape, then using a flat surface, a stack of post-it notes and a new 10A blade, made a cutting surface gauge. Something like this ...

DSCN6435-600.jpg

Using a spare spinner, it worked really well, leaving a perfect thin tape strip. I just gently rotated the spinner against the blade, trying to press hard enough to cut the tape whilst not gouging into the paint or plastic ...

DSCN6438-600.jpg

The other marks on the spinner are from where I tried the same technique but using liquid masking solution. Suffice to say, this didn't work at all.

Hope this is of interest / use.

Edited by Anthony L
I´m ascking thesame question as Voltaire :thumbsup:

Nope!!!!.......as they say necessity is the mother of invention (ingenuity) :worship:, also if we quit asking that two word question, "What if?", were in deep kemshi!!!. Thanks Chuk...you've just sent hundreds of modelers out to get stick'em note pads. As always great updates or info in this case...on another how-to.

Edited by Angels49

In order to make a perfect round yellow propeller tip on my 1/72 Dora, here's what I did:

1. took a simple plastic bag (the one that's made of polyethylene)

2. took a simple office hole punch

3. made several perfect round (!) holes in the piece of plastic bag

4. inserted the propeller tip into the hole and pressed it deeper, so the polyethylene stretches around the tip

5. polyethylene, which plastic bag is made of, stretches quite nicely and fits the propeller tip in the area I want it to be

I hope you get the idea, guys :thumbsup: