About time I join in, too

This will be my entry for this group build. I really hope I can finish this monster. I have a really bad habit of not finishing models. I'm completely rescribing it and it will be my first NMF paint job. Due to my really hectic work scedule, I may not update this thread for a few days.

Some previous photos to get started. So far, I have both fuselage halves scribed. I have made a start on the wings and

have also started assembling the cockpit.

camerapictures059.jpg

camerapictures047.jpg

camerapictures052.jpg

camerapictures064.jpg

camerapictures341.jpg

camerapictures340.jpg

camerapictures330.jpg

I'll update this thread a little more tomarrow. I have three days off, so I can focus on actually getting some modelling done.

RYAN.

Edited by caudleryan

WOW.

This is going to be cool.

I really hope that you'll manage to complete it.

I haven't seen many B-36's completed.

I got one in my stash that was given to me by a friend.

He didn't build it, I don't think I'll build it either.

It soo big, I don't know where I'd put it when it was finished.

:cheers:

/Bosse

Very cool! Like others, hope you get it done b/c not many get built. I have one as well, and would love to do it, but between the size (no where at the moment to put it when built) and the natural metal finish (kinda scared to try it), I dont see it being built for awhile.

When I do mine, Im thinking about building it as the JRB-36F used in the TOMTOM experiment, so it will be even bigger, since it will have 2 F-84's hanging off the wing tips.

I got a little more done to the monster. Please bear with me as the pics aren't the best.

I made a start on the cockpit. I didn't bother with the details as they will not be seen anyway. I just painted the basic colors

and went on to other things.

189.jpg

188.jpg

190.jpg

191.jpg

Wheels are glued together.

192.jpg

I shot some Mr. Surfacer 1000 to check the scribed lines. You can see them a little better than before.

223.jpg

Without the flash.

222.jpg

Of course, I had to try it out first

194.jpg

That's it for now.

RYAN.

Looking very nice. Rescribing a B-36 will get you an Air Medal, or something. Rock on...

Rick L.

It will get me a nice padded cell in a mental hospital! I already have one reserved for me!

RYAN.

• 2 weeks later...
I am rubbish at scribing. What is your secret?

No secret, really. I just used a needle chucked in a pin vise. I used a scribing template and just traced the existing panel line. I went over them very lightly at first to establish a fine recessed line. Then, I go over it over again with a little more pressure, until I achieve the desired depth I want. For the curves and panel lines at the rear, I used dymo tape.

You can find this at any store in the stationary(office) department. Just cut a length and apply the tape next to the existing panel line. Lightly trace over it with your scriber of choice. Go over it a couple of times until you have a deep enough panel line to where you can pull the tape off and scribe the panel line to the desired depth. The most important thing to remember is to scribe lightly! If you scribe too hard, you might skip off of the panel line and you will get a nice scratch that you will have to fill and sand. You can go back and forth until you can trace the panel line without any difficulty.

Lightly sand the newly recessed panel lines with, say, 600-800 grit sand paper until all remaining traces of the old raised panel lines are gone. Next, go over that with an old toothbrush to remove the debris that's left in the new panel lines.

After that, you can polish those with at least 3500 grit sand paper. Repeat with the toothbrush to get the debris out.

Well, at least that's my method. I hope this helped some. If I can get time to myself, I'll try to post a little in-progress

pic show.

RYAN.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Holmes and Skyraider! That means a lot to me. I have started a new job and I have been EXTREMELY busy

the past few days. I just put in 61 hours and have been very tired. At least I get the weekend off. I also have to clean off my modelling desk. You should see what my girlfriend has done to it! Somewhere, there's a B-36 on it! I'll update as soon as I can when I make some progress on it.

RYAN.