Next Project: Something Different...Although it DOES fly...

Day 11, Test 37, Configuration 2.0. For lack of a better option, Dummy is still on fire safety...

This is the Moebius models, 1/6 scale Iron Man MkIII. The kit is pretty simple, although if built in the OOB pose, he looks a bit stiff:

So I plan on modifying that into a slightly more interesting pose. Started snipping, cutting, fitting, and drilling plastic tonight. The fit is actually quite good, and seam cleanup would probably be a snap if I wasn't trying to alter the pose. I have learned that the plastic is incredibly brittle, which made drilling out the hand repulsors and the chest RT a seriously dangerous event. When the torso emitted a loud SNAP as I was drilling, I had a momentary panic attack...but all is well. It's also fairly difficult to cut while reposing.

Initial parts layout:

IMG_1383.jpg

Some of the wiring components. This will be pretty straightforward, 4 LEDs: 1 for each palm repulsor, one for the chest RT in a polished (highly reflective) tube, and one in the skull for the eyes. Not sure yet if I'm going to tint them, maybe VERY light blue tint for the eyes.

IMG_1384.jpg

Drilled out the palm repusors:

IMG_1388.jpg

Drilled out the chest RT:

IMG_1389.jpg

Drilled out the eye slots, after doing some temp assembly of the helmet portion:

IMG_1387.jpg

Edited by Waco

Last shot for tonight, used some tape and toothpicks to assemble him into something close to the desired pose. I need to do something with the legs to give it more life, but I'm hesitant to start doing too much....detail restoration and making it look right is going to be tough on those.

I did already cut the neck and helmet appropriately to set up the turned face...

IMG_1385.jpg

With a bit more light....the shiny red plastic is a bit tough to photograph as well:

IMG_1386.jpg

Nice work, Waco ... I like the new pose much better, the designed pose looks to mannequin-esque ...

Hey Waco,

Looking good.. :whistle:

I wonder how high does he stand from head to toe... :huh:

Probably close to 12" Holmes, being a 1:6th scale figure ...

Gregg

Hey I recognize that guy!! I like the new pose too although you may want to possibly change the leg stance a bit? I think I need to get out my "special" project and get it done so we can pose them on the contest table together. :whistle:

Okay, very small update. All of the connectors on this part are massive, girder shaped deals that offer exceptional stability and a very solid construction. However, if you're looking to repose the kit, it takes a bit of work to cut them off, tweak the connections, etc. Tonight, I managed to install the LED into one of the palm repulsors, run the wiring up through the elbow, and get the hand installed on the lower arm. It doesn't look like much, especially since I still have seam cleanup to do, surface polished, etc. Unfortunately, it took a LONG time. Getting the hand to fit in the upward flexed position was difficult enough (cut off the large square attachment from the arm...bore out the receiving posts inside the palm...sand down the lower palm surfaces, etc.), but trying to fit in new plastic over the top part of the hand nearly drove me batty.

Long story short, the LED barely fit, requiring some creative dremel engineering and then a new coverplate on the back of the hand. Note that I have NOT installed the gauntlet in these pics. That'll come after I finish cleaning this thing up a bit. At any rate, I'm done whining, here's some pics:

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

Most importantly, after all that futzing around, glueing, sanding, etc., the LEDstill works. I was quite positive I'd severed a connection at one point, but my luck held:

IMG_1392.jpg

Despite my best efforts at shielding, there are still some minor light leaks. However, I'm confident that some silver paint, Mr Surfacer, and the Alclad base coat will contain those.

IMG_1393.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Well, I fixed the problem with the legs. After much frustration, a fair amount of cussing, and a really nifty X-acto saw blade cut to my finger, I've managed to get them into a position I'm happy with.

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

"JARVIS, do a weather and ATC check, start listening in on ground control."

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

Well, I fixed the problem with the legs. After much frustration, a fair amount of cussing, and a really nifty X-acto saw blade cut to my finger, I've managed to get them into a position I'm happy with.

IMG_1400.jpg

IMG_1402.jpg

"JARVIS, do a weather and ATC check, start listening in on ground control."

IMG_1403.jpg

IMG_1401.jpg

Looks good, but there are still terabytes of calculations needed before an actual flight is attempted.

Looking much better in that pose man! I am very curious how your paint choices look as I need to do the same on my guy. I think the blue loin cloth should stay. Makes him look like he means business but is still willing to party!! :woot.gif: