Interesting Su-33 landing...

Having had a inflight engagement or two in the S-3, they suck. I can't imagine what this SU-33 situation was all about...but if he had had an IFE, the result would have been very ugly. Intersting video for sure. Will be sharing this with a few of my fellow pilot buddies who were LSO's.

ATIS

Nice catch with the Camcorder..

C HCDIM-AR H-PNU IC OWO

Spongebob

Is that uhhhhh...Russian?!

Then the CO would have shoved a boot up there.

That was the CO!!! :cheers: He was demonstrating for his command how NOT!! to return to the boat, that or why you go zone5 AB and bolter.

Edited by Angels49

Very close to ruining his whole day. Does anyone know if the Russians have LSOs, or their equivalent? In the US Navy this would probably have been the LSO's fault for calling for a wave off way too late. If the aviator were to make this kind of move on his own he would have a lot of questions to answer, some of them terminal (as in don't let him fly anymore).

From what we see of this approach everything looks pretty good. He's on centerline and appears to be headed for the wires when he rotates. Maybe the deck went foul and someone called wave off. Or maybe the pilot didn't like the looks of the approach for some reason not clear to an outside observer. In any case, they should change thier procedures so this kind of thing doesn't happen.

Crikey.....talk about last minute decisions. :rofl:

It certainly shows the agility of the airframe though....all that in military power?

I would n't want to be working on shift in the laundry room when that guy hands in his flight suit for cleaning..... :P

Neat vid Berkut, thanks for the link. :)

:rofl:

Possibly the same guy trying to take off??

Check the Flanker launching at 00:30. Seems someone forgot to release his parking brake as well as moving the anti-skid switch from off to on!!!!. That's some serious rubber burning for you.

Rather impressive he is still able to accelerate the plane to flying speed while also maintaining directional control at the same time.

Edited by Phantom726

Thanks for that Youtube link. I've seen pictures of the ship with those skid marks, or others very similar, and wondered how they got there. And if the guy got off ok. Looks like maybe he wasn't sure he really wanted to go. I had a similar experience on my first cat shot.

LSO is Landing Signal Officer (aka paddles) who in the US Navy stands toward the back of the boat and gives the pilot guidance during the approach, including orders to wave off if he thinks it necessary for some reason. An aviator who doesn’t go around when told to do so is in deep trouble with everyone from the captain of the boat on down, assuming he survives the pass. I don’t see a platform for a Russian version of this person on their carriers. They may be inside or up in the tower someplace, but they wouldn’t be able to see and hear what’s going on as well from in there.

Mike

C HCDIM-AR H-PNU IC OWO
English translation?

Cut pass...High Come Down In the Middle to at the ramp, Underline (i.e. major) High-pull nose up in close with an own wave-off.

BTW..you NEVER use anti-skid at the boat. When anti-skid systems fail you've got no brakes (just like a Prius), not to metion at times you do locked wheel turns.

Spongebob

I don’t see a platform for a Russian version of this person on their carriers. They may be inside or up in the tower someplace, but they wouldn’t be able to see and hear what’s going on as well from in there.

Mike

From Yefim Gordon's Su-27 book......

"The gyrostabilised Luna-3 VASI was installed on an outrigger on the port side near the midship frame; in daytime the high-intensity approach lights were visible at about 3km (1.86 miles) range. The landing signals officer (LSO) sat in an enclosure on the stern, instructing the pilots by radio; it was his responsibility to authorise landing or call a go-around".

You can see the LSO's 'glasshouse' in photos - on the port side near the stern.

it looks to be hexagonal shape - with a window on each face.

You can see it in this drawing - just to the left of the aft port elevator.

In this photo - it is just in front of the Kamov Ka-29.

Ken

:o, Maybe it's actually a drawing of a Yak-44, the proposed Russian equivalent of the E-2. Notice it had a multi blade contra prop years before the E-2s were fitted with their 8 blader. If Russia's plans to build more carriers come to fruition these birds might eventually go into production (perhaps). A cheap knock off? These days I doubt that, just as I doubt the Tu-4 would have been a cheap B-29 knock off in its day, at least for the Soviets. A copy, well, mostly yes, but far from cheap in Soviet monetary terms of the day.

:doh:,

Ross.