1/32 Su-25 frogfoot from china

Decoy dispensers in the tail boom is the original configuration, they all have it. The extra dispensers on the engine nacelle were added during Afghanistan as part of the PBZh standard.

OTOH the instructions call for a very rare configuration of the engine nacelle that concerns only a few Soviet 10th batch aircraft. I hope they've included optional parts to represent more common aircraft.

You mean part K42? These are for a R195 engined Su-25, in which case Trumpeter provided the wrong vertical stabilizer. Follow Trumpeter's instructions, and you'll end up with a very unique version of the Frogfoot. So unique, it only exists in plastic :thumbsup:

It seems that they didn't change anything after first pictures were posted on the various forums........

She builds well and here is the result so far don't ask me any technical questions as I don't know the answers. Please keep an eye open on the forums for the completed model in the next couple of weeks, I will answer questions on the build then.

By the way this is for a Magazine Mai

IMG_76581.jpg

John

Edited by tigger
You mean part K42? These are for a R195 engined Su-25, in which case Trumpeter provided the wrong vertical stabilizer. Follow Trumpeter's instructions, and you'll end up with a very unique version of the Frogfoot. So unique, it only exists in plastic :thumbsup:

Actually the change in air scoops configuration on the engine nacelles occured before switching to R-195 engines (there is an extra scoop under the nacelle for the R-195). But you're right, there shouldn't be an intake at the base of the fin with these nacelles. And they're wrong for export Su-25Ks, just like the blade IFF antenna on the nose.

She builds well and here is the result so far don't ask me any technical questions as I don't know the answers. Please keep an eye open on the forums for the completed model in the next couple of weeks, I will answer questions on the build then.

IMG_76581.jpg

John

Great John! MAI is my favorite magazine, and it lands here once a month...Look forward to see your article, although i have already made up my mind in terms of purchase of this model.

PS: When reading the articles, i knew i have seen the nick "Tigger" somewhere before. Nice to see you are here on ARC. :cheers:

Edited by Berkut
Decoy dispensers in the tail boom is the original configuration, they all have it. The extra dispensers on the engine nacelle were added during Afghanistan as part of the PBZh standard.
It looks like they messed up on the locations of the dispensers. They should be different left and right.

The left side should be further forward than the right with the round objects located behind (http://www.photoka.info/su25_3/imagepages/su25_13.htm).

The right side are located further to the rear than the left (http://www.photoka.info/su25_3/imagepages/su25_12.htm) with the round objects at the front.

Each side is slightly staggered with the left bank further to the rear on both sides.

Any idea what the round objects are? ( http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkar...5k_09_of_13.jpg

) They look like some kind of filler caps.

I also found a picture with only one bank of dispensers on each side: http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su25/su257.html

Any info on that variant?

John

Are you able to tell if they re-tooled the fuselage and nacelles? And/or can you post a good side view (similar to the pic on page 1) for us please?

BTW, that paint looks awesome John! :cheers:

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
Any idea what the round objects are? ( http://walkarounds.scalemodels.ru/v/walkar...5k_09_of_13.jpg

:cheers:

They are part of the defense suite, and i could name of those antennas before, but now i forgot...

PS: This is not Su-25. But Su-39. A very different beast.

Edited by Berkut

I think they're either locks for the magazine, or safety/arming devices. You have them on the nacelle dispensers as well :

orshan10.jpg

I also found a picture with only one bank of dispensers on each side: http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/su25/su257.html

Any info on that variant?

That's the ECM tail sting on one of the few existing Su-25T/TMs (Su-39) :

img_3010.jpg

iirc the 25T's were 39's at one point, they discarded the rear seat and added an armored fuel tank, put the ir jammer and additional flare dispensers on the tail. they discontinued the 39's after they finished with the kuznetsov and discontinued the other carrier. mig29k met a similar end.

iirc the 25T's were 39's at one point, they discarded the rear seat and added an armored fuel tank, put the ir jammer and additional flare dispensers on the tail. they discontinued the 39's after they finished with the kuznetsov and discontinued the other carrier. mig29k met a similar end.

Hmm, i think you are confusing with Su-25UB/UBT.

i may be, but the cockpit on both the ub and 39's are identical with regards to the fuselage shape. aside from the defensive tail suite the ub and 39's pits were externally the same. you clean out the back seat, r&r the rear canopy, r&r the tail hook, and add the ir suite, you have the 25T. i will admit i dont know enough of the 39 to be sure, its likely some 39's are 25T's now.

did the 39's have folding wings? it never did any sea trials im aware of, but that dont mean anything.

I can be veeery wrong here, but i don't think there is any in service TM's. (aka Su-39). Just T's.

You're right AFAIK. I'm only aware of 4 Su-25Ts in service at Lipetsk AB. '83' above is one of them.

i may be, but the cockpit on both the ub and 39's are identical with regards to the fuselage shape. aside from the defensive tail suite the ub and 39's pits were externally the same. you clean out the back seat, r&r the rear canopy, r&r the tail hook, and add the ir suite, you have the 25T. i will admit i dont know enough of the 39 to be sure, its likely some 39's are 25T's now.

That's correct, the UB and 39 (25TM) have 85% airframe commonality . And yes, at least one 39 has been converted to two-seat trainer by Georgia. The Su-25 factory in Tbilissi had some unfinished airframes when the program fell through and one was converted to Su-25U unarmed trainer version by installing a rear cockpit. Tbilissi can only manufacture the basic single-seaters and T/TM airframes, the UB production line is in Ulan-Ude (Siberia).

did the 39's have folding wings? it never did any sea trials im aware of, but that dont mean anything.

The 39 doesn't have folding wings. In fact even production Su-25UTGs navalized trainers don't have folding wings, only the prototype had.

IMG_76581.jpg

John

Hi John:

more photos of this well known Czech Su-25K number 9013 are here:

http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/title/...K-9013/p/299260

http://galerie.valka.cz/showgallery.php/cat/702

http://walkaround.rajce.idnes.cz/Suchoj_Su-25_Frogfoot/

very sadly central european weather is not god for the open-air storage

9013_-_fire_112.jpg

The Link Berkut provided has flawed info, as they made this statement "A two-seater variant, the Su-35UB (Frogfoot "B"), is a weapons training aircraft manufactured at Ulan-Ude." . I don't think Sukhoi is gonna re-label the Flankers. It's a good link, great pics, but the dude/dudette? who wrote the article goofed!!!, Thanks for the link BTW. IIRC the two seat variant is the Su-25UB.

Edited by Angels49
The Link Berkut provided has flawed info, as they made this statement "A two-seater variant, the Su-35UB (Frogfoot "B"), is a weapons training aircraft manufactured at Ulan-Ude." . I don't think Sukhoi is gonna re-label the Flankers. It's a good link, great pics, but the dude/dudette? who wrote the article goofed!!!, Thanks for the link BTW. IIRC the two seat variant is the Su-25UB.

What link do you mean? I have provided only two links in newest discussion, both of them are pics, one of them originally posted by Zacto. And so what anyway? He probably meant Su-25UB, making just a typo.

Not to get into the whole 'accuracy' thing either, I have a question.

I have looked to see if there are the flare and chaff launchers that were scabbed atop the engines, but this one looks to have the flare and chaff in the tail boom. Was that added post Afganistan? Most of the pics and such I have are of early Frogfoots and not really detailed walk around type pics.

Although the instructions don't show it, I think the nacelle mounted dispensers may be in the kit. The curved objects in the center of the sprue on the right look like they could be them.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10122324n/40/1

Also, the marking options drawing seem to show them on the nacelles and Trumpeter usually use the same CAD drawings that they use for the parts in their instructions.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10122324t2/60/2

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10122324t3/60/3

I should have my kit next week and can see for sure.

Although the instructions don't show it, I think the nacelle mounted dispensers may be in the kit. The curved objects in the center of the sprue on the right look like they could be them.

Yes, it looks like it... It's curious that they don't seem to mention it as optional in the instructions. OTOH they appear on all 4 profiles whereas they shouldn't be there for the Czech aircraft. They must want to make the modeller work checking his references...

OK, I have the kit and as expected, the engine mounted dispensers are in the kit, just not used. The individual cells are provided as raised discs, though, not holes like for the tail mounted dispensers.

However one major disappointment is that the kit does NOT include the small 5th outboard pylon for the R-60s! You only get the 4 large weapons pylons, but there are a set of holes drilled in the underside of the wing for the 5th pylon. You do get 8 R-60s and the rails (which you have to cut off from the pylon it's mounted on in the generic weapons sprue), but no Su-25 pylon. Trumpeter tells you you can load the R-60s on the outboard most of the 4 large pylons under the wing, which I've never seen. Su-25s seem to always carry the entire complement of 5 pylons under each wing, so this is very disappointing! I honestly don't know how they could have screwed this up since even the guy who did the box art painting knew there were 5 pylons.

Chris, better get started on refs for the missle pylon. :woot.gif:

Edited by Dave Williams
You only get the 4 large weapons pylons, but there are a set of holes drilled in the underside of the wing for the 5th pylon.

Dave, when you said holes, did you really mean holes or did you mean dimples that the builder need to punction with a pin? If Trumpeter molded straight holes in there but no pylons, then the finished model would look unsightly. Accuracy aside, this is not a common mistake that Trumpeter makes.

Terry

[EDIT: on second thought, the Trump Harrier I'm building now has a big gaping void underneath the LERX, so I guess it's not that uncommon for Trumpeter to make missing parts errors.]

Edited by loftycomfort

I mean clean through the wing holes to take the pins at the top of the pylons. There are 5 sets of holes in the wing, and only 4 pylons.

BTW, the holes on top of the engine nacelles are also drilled out for the unused dispensers, so if you don't want to use them, you'll have to fill the holes.

Edited by Dave Williams

Aaaaargh...

:cheers: This is the kind of crap that irritates all level of modellers..... ;) 'nuff said.

Heads up Trumps;

This is the kind of crap that any one of your competitors will get you on ....... I wouldn't want to be known as the company that can't finish the game completely. If it weren't for these mistakes being made in 32nd land, where your kits are usually the only offering of the ac in that scale, I would be buying the competitors. Ask yourself; Do you have competitors ?

I'll probably still buy the kit anyways....because it is the only option in 32nd.....BUT, I am becoming dis-infranchised.....and find myself hoping that somebody else would build a kit of "[insert any ac here]" more often now. Please, don't announce some plans for a 32nd scale F-22.....

This is being said by one who used to harbor more hopes for Trump. to get better

- Matt