Lost my modelling mojo.

After finishing the Airfix Spitfire Mk XIX my modelling mojo decided to take a vacation. I've cleared my bench, and nothing in my stash of plastic takes my liking. I don't know if it's my bi polar causing it, or it's just that I'm bored I don't know.

I just hope it comes back soon. As I have a few projects which are crying out to be built (mostly USN types).

So if I don't post much you know why!

And when my modelling mojo returns you will know.

I happens! I sure that everyone has been there at least once!

I took a break for 2-3 months after the NZ Nationals last year.... I most building models for 15 hours each day for two weeks....

Yeah!! Sh/t happens, just take it easy. sometimes after a modeling rush, I spend some months with no interest whatsoever. there are other things in life you know?

Keep your kool

Byron :coolio:

Those dry spells can really be great times for learning. Roam different internet sites, look at new techniques, buy a few model mags/reference mags and relax. Don't worry if you don't touch plastic for a while. When you come back, you see that you are fired up to try new techniques, and your skills will have grown.

Good luck!

Kyle

Darren just sit back and relax and watch the others tear their hair out{ If they have any left by now !!}

Let it FLOW....its your body's way of saying I need a break and rest...

It will be back with you soon and you won't even know when you started again when you do...

HOLMES :whistle::woo:

I lost mine a couple of months ago, but started getting it back this past week. This happened last year as well. Sometimes I get in a rut with a kit and I get frustrated. I decided to just move forward with it despite not being 100% happy with the results. I feel much better now that I have stopped beating myself up over it and just move on.

I did stop for a couple of weeks for a bathroom remodel. That kept me plenty busy and worn out. Plus I managed to trash my hobby room in the process which didn't help.

Kinda going through that right now myself. I'm at a point with my current model that I have screwed up the whole project in the past, so I'm a little afraid to proceed with it. Every night that I go in there, I find myself tinkering with weapons and such instead of starting to finish up the cockpit, attach the canopy and start masking for paint like I should. I find that ruts come in waves for me, and this is not my first. The two things I can tell you are 1. it'll come back on its own, and 2. don't push it. It'll come back on its own. When you push it, that is when you end up making mistakes and getting frustrated. If you are not feeling it, do something else until you do.

Aaron

Lost modeling interests a couple of years ago and though I tried more than once in building a kit, never completed it.....

and have something like 15 (?) kits in various stages of build. Decided last year that if I wasn't going to build any more, just sell everything I've gotten from the past 30 years and THAT was a wake up call. Decided that if I was going to build something, it wasn't going to be out of the box if I could help it. I wanted AMS. Started with the Hasegawa F-102A which is okay in basic modeling, but I wanted an open cockpit, speed brake AND detailed missile bay. Boy, did I bite off more than I could chew/build. My enthusiasm was bigger than my skill. So I switched over to Airfix's F-84G and Hasegawa's A-6A, both real oldies. Learning how to scribe better lines, some scratch building/modifications and casting parts. These 2 kits were started in February and still not done, though this morning, I put another coat of primer to see what seam lines

/cracks I missed. They sit on my desk like vultures or something. More than once I wanted to just slam them against the wall or put them back into the boxes, but I know if I do that, they win. And I don't like to lose. I started taking photos of my models years ago and just came across a small photo album of them and that brought memories of building them and then showing them off to people and that's what keeps me going now. I'm hoping to have them both finished by next Friday (July 9th) for the local modeling club meeting. I know they won't be perfect, but they will be the 1st models I've completed in at least 5 years. So everyone goes into a building slump, but has anyone gone any further than that? :beer4:

Simply put, life gets in the way frequently. That's what keeps me from plowing through the stash like I'd like to do...just a matter of time and opportunity. I stopped building when I was a teen, didn't pick it back up in earnest until about age 40 I guess. Some of my other hobbies (firearms, hunting, fishing) tend to interfere also but I try not to let it concern me. After all, these are hobbies and I'm thankful for the enjoyment they ALL afford me. Just take a step back and see modeling for what it is rather than trying to treat it like an obligation. I have caught myself feeling guilty about all those kits in my stash and more coming in the future, but then I just go and look at my wife's side of the closet and see all the SHOES! I feel much better then, and I usually start looking for another model! Try it (if you have a spouse).

Hang in there

Jeff

I know the feeling. I haven't cracked a box since '08 and I'm not real interested right now either. The wife has threatened to throw out my "collection", but that's a no-go. After I get over the motorcycle and riflery bugs I'll get back to it - eventually ...

I think, as you've seen, most of us go through that funk at some point. I think what usually works is taking that break everyone seems to speak of here. Likewise, if you find yourself missing it somewhat....yet aren't quite ready to sit back down at the bench what sometimes is helpful is just watching some aircraft documentary to help truly inspire and actually want to build something.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

After being an avid modeler all my adult life, I went through a divorce and didn't touch a piece of plastic for three years. After that dry spell, I built 3 "intense" models that required a good deal of effort. After completing the last one I have puttered with a few projects but can't seem to find the drive to make any real progress. I know I will get back to them, so for now the extent of my modeling interests consists of surfing through ARC now and then. I know I will get back in the groove but if I try to force it, it will just make thing more unenjoyable. My advice is to just wait it out and things will work out one way or another.

Regards,

John