Upgraded - the Revell Venator

Republic or Emperial  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Which in your opinion is the better scheme?

• Republician Red Stripe
    • Emperial Grey

Hey Mark

I haven't had the pleasure of building that kit, so I can't comment. Would you believe that this is the very first Star Wars kit I've ever made? :blush:

I'm going to drill out the locating pins on both sides of the plates and insert some small brass tube making bigger pins to help join the 2 plates

The weather here is really cruddy at the moment so I can't do any more painting. I still have more to do, so I should get going and I'll see you all around again soon

MH

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

I am sorry for the long delay in replying to everyone - I have had no internet access for the past 3 weeks.

Here's where I'm up to so far. Now remember, I am not expert when it comes to colour choices, so if it's wrong - please tell me and I will try to correct it. I use the example of the back end of the plate with the 2 gray's - I'm pretty sure the lighter gray may be wrong colour and should be darker. The main issue is is that there is no real reference for the bottom of these ships, so I think I've taken on a bit of artistic license and made it up.

I leave it for you to judge:

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

IMG_9045.jpg

IMG_9046.jpg

IMG_9047.jpg

IMG_9049.jpg

IMG_9051.jpg

IMG_9054.jpg

There is still a lot of tidying up to do but then it is only 5 days work, so early days yet ;)

I'll post more when I have accomplished something :D

see you again soon

MH

thanks man - yeah, I'm still plodding along with it - I'm looking forward to finishing it though. I have other projects I want to invest some time into as well. I think people may be loosing interest coz it's taken so bloody long. Anyway, here's another 2 days of painting. I've just sprayed on the clear coat ready for washing and then I'll dry brush and touch up a few small areas before sealing it all in with the flat.

IMG_9169.jpg

IMG_9180.jpg

IMG_9179.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

I'll post more pics when it's done

Thanks for stopping by :cheers:

Ah yes! The part I've been waiting to see. :woot.gif: That looks terrific! As for the colors, they look pretty darn close to me. Given the various lighting conditions that you see in the movies in regards to space and how the ships appear, the TLAR can be used for sure (TLAR= That Looks About Right). Very spendid job. :worship:

Cheers,

Alby

thanks guys! Don't worry Diego, if there is one thing I have managed to do on this project is retain my patience - although it has been tested here and there :rolleyes:

I run the wash through it and and am in the middle of cleaning it up a bit. Not far now till the flat coat goes on and I can call that part finished

At last - washed and flat coated:

IMG_9186.jpg

IMG_9188.jpg

IMG_9189.jpg

IMG_9190.jpg

IMG_9191.jpg

IMG_9194.jpg

IMG_9196.jpg

There are still a few small issues with it if you look close enough, but at the proper viewing distance it looks fine. Painting is not my best attribute and fortunately, this is only the bottom of the ship and not the most visible, but I have learnt a few things on this plate that I will incorporate into the top plate (which is the one that matters most)

See you all again soon

MH

Mate,

Coming along very, very nicely. I am still working on the engine area and electronics. I can see why this has been a slow build for you, trying to work out the best way to do this or that. The same is happenning with me.

Don't worry about the colours being "correct". I have hundreds of screen captures from the movie and the colours and varying levels of detail change from shot to shot. So it is a best guess game.

I should have a few more pics of my build up in a couple of weeks once I have greeblied the engines and "lit them up".

Take care.

hey Dave - how are you? Great to see you back again!

Yeah, it does take some time to get the surface detail right, but once it's done, it really does look the part. However, I hope your painting skills are better than mine because - to be brutally honest - I SUCK!!!

I feel I have really missed the mark with the bottom plate and now, just to make me want to stop and shelve the bloody thing altogether, I am starting to have issues with the top plate. :bandhead2:

I just can't seem to get a nice flat, even finish. I mean - how hard can it be?!?

The paint appears to be powdering in the small corners even though I hold the airbrush quite close to the surface and the paint isn't too thin (I think).

I've already lightly sanded it back once and resprayed but with the amount of extra plastic on the surface, its hard to get the paper into the crevasses. I'll have to borrow (steal) the missus nail sander and have another crack at it.

It's all my own fault really - I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Maybe I should have commissioned someone to paint it for me knowing that I really can't paint that well

Anyways enough of playing my violin :boohoo: - I'm looking forward to seeing more of yours!! I checked in recently to the R.P.F and it's coming along nicely! :woot.gif:

MH,

Don't get disheartened mate, we all learn new things with each build. Last year it took me the full 12 months to build a 1/35 scale M-113 APC which was accurized to represent a specific vehicle a mate of mine commanded in the late 1980's.

Accurizing and scratch building was new to me and I had to remake a number of parts more than once. I too felt like chucking in the towel but kept the picture of what I wanted the end result to be in my mind.

Painting the sucker was another steep learning curve. Trying to work out paint to thinner ratios, type of airbrush tip to use, weathering etc. There were a number of times when I had to sand back paint and start over but, the end result was a dream.

Can you send me a PM and let me know what type of paints, thinners, airbrush tips, etc you have been using ?

Wish I could upload pictures of the M-113 from my machine but, this forum doesn't allow direct uploads. I will see what I can do about images.

Don't lose the mojo !!!

Dave

First let me say that you are doing an incredible job... :worship:

However, I hope your painting skills are better than mine because - to be brutally honest - I SUCK!!!

I feel I have really missed the mark with the bottom plate and now, just to make me want to stop and shelve the bloody thing altogether, I am starting to have issues with the top plate. :bandhead2:

I just can't seem to get a nice flat, even finish. I mean - how hard can it be?!?

The paint appears to be powdering in the small corners even though I hold the airbrush quite close to the surface and the paint isn't too thin (I think).

The paint sure looks good in the pictures. At least the color choices, application, weathering and washing you've done so far.

I skimmed some of the text and didn't see what type of paint you are using. I use Model Master enamels and some of the following suggestions might help.

When airbrushing areas like corners where the paint might bounce around and build up texture, I use low air pressure and thin paint and apply it wet.

Let each coat dry to the touch before applying the next. If it is still tacky it can 'catch' the new particles as they pass by.

Check your progress every once in a while (and between each coat). If you are having problems, stop and adjust rather than proceeding.

Between coats if I notice any over-spray texture I fix it before applying more coats and building it up even more.

If the over-spray is light enough I can often remove it with a tissue, paper towel or soft toothbrush rather than sanding.

Sometimes spraying a coat of thinner over the paint (while it is still fresh) will 'melt' light over-spray and cause it to level out and disappear.

HTH...

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this build!

:cheers:

The wash really made your detail work pop. I think that your painting looks great.

I have found that sometimes after doing a lot of painting and details I don't like my results. I set it down for a while and usually when I come back I realize that it was not as bad as I thought.

Els

Hey thanks for your words of encouragement guys - it helps to get over the deflation of expectation

I have started the top plate and am up to painting the red on the main doors and, so far, I'm really happy with how they've turned out.

However, I'm not to sure whether to risk spraying a layer of Mr Hobby gloss clear over the top of Gunze acrylic paint so I can seal in the paint job as it is but then risk having the gloss coat eat away at the paint (as is what's happened on my VC10 - grrr :explode: ) and completely ruin it :crying2:

I am really up in the clouds at the moment as to what I should do about that as I have recently had a lot of bad problems with that brand of gloss coat eating away at the paint leaving serious discoloration. I always try to use it the way I've read of posts on here and other forums (I always try to develop skills so I don't have to ask stupid questions all the time) and yet it stills goes pear shaped. What am I doing wrong? :bandhead2: It's so hard to get the right amount of coat on with a rattle can

At any rate, I thought being from the same company their (Mr Hobby/Gunze - assuming that is that Mr Hobby belongs to Gunze or vise versa) products shouldn't affect each other to the extent that they have.

Any thoughts people?

I have the following products at hand:

Mr Hobby clear coat range - flat, semi-flat and gloss

Testors Dull Coat and Gloss Coat - in rattle can and in bottle form - you know, the one that you can put in an air-brush and use. Past experience wasn't all that up to scratch - but then I could also have mixed it wrong (using Testors enamel thinner) and I'm not to sure on the correct consistency of this product.

I have other things as well, but I can't remember what they are off the top of my head

I can't post pictures this week coz the missus is away and she has the camera with her, so you'll have to wait to see my current state of happiness

Thanks again everyone for sticking in here while I build this - it's been over a year now! :cheers: I've never stuck this long to a single project before :wacko:

MH

Edited by The Madhatter
Any thoughts people?
Well as I mentioned, I use Modelmaster enamels as well as Future and Testors glosscoat and dullcoat so I can't share personal experiences with Gunze.

However, I would recommend reading this thread pinned in the tools'n'tips archived sub-forum: Paint Compatibility WAS: Crackin' of acril!

Post #11 (among others) might help...

:cheers: