s it possible to have a temporary lock down feature in this type of forum? Sort of a "hey break it up and cool off" for a day or two instead of ok, nobody talk about this subject anymore, it's dangerous.

You can lock a thread or unlock it any time. Depending on how the permissions are set, mods and admins can still add posts themselves to a locked thread. I've seen a couple of times elsewhere where the mods have said let's take a break, then re-opened the thread, but there are reasons why you might not want to or simply can't be bothered.

As an amateur musician and Beatles fan, like yourself I was interested in the thread, but desisted from taking part. Once it gets even a tiny bit personal and notwithstanding any apology, there's plenty of reason for the mods to call time.

peebeep

ARC is the one place I love to visit because of the fact that the "internet DB's" are just not welcome. There's enough forums on the web that cater (and coddle) to those types of jerks. This is the one forum I visit because the jerks are kept on a short leash, and the "hot topics" are kept to a minimum....And believe me, the raunchy red-neck types that visit that forum make those "thickskined" model forums look like a group of pink puppies!!

This site is my relief from that stuff. There's a million forums on the interwebs for "hot topics". And they're all easy to find. Keep this place clean (as much as we can), and let the other places wallow in the mud.

Oh yeah I agee, it's nice to have a place like this where there is no name calling and stereotype be-littleing. Ya know, nice. :)

Bill

the cyber world is all just pink bunnies and fluffy clouds for the ladies.

Not necessarily. When a coworker of mine had her first child, she was a member on several "mommy chat" forums. I guess the arguments over child-rearing philosophies get pretty nasty. She said the breastfeeding advocates were absolute nazis..proudly proclaiming thier superiority, and telling anyone who bottle-fed that they were killing their kids and should be locked up for child abuse etc.

Beer is one of my hero's...

It's spelled HEROES, stupid! :whistle:

Disclaimer: This comment was intended as humor, hence the "winky" emoticon. It should not be taken seriously, and the poster accepts no responsibility for misinterpretation of his intentions. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited.

SN

Edited by Steve N
Not necessarily. When a coworker of mine had her first child, she was a member on several "mommy chat" forums. I guess the arguments over child-rearing philosophies get pretty nasty. She said the breastfeeding advocates were absolute nazis..proudly proclaiming thier superiority, and telling anyone who bottle-fed that they were killing their kids and should be locked up for child abuse etc.

It's spelled HEROES, stupid! :thumbsup:

Disclaimer: This comment was intended as humor, hence the "winky" emoticon. It should not be taken seriously, and the poster accepts no responsibility for misinterpretation of his intentions. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited.

SN

Yes, lol, it was my twisted double purpose reference to something else. You get bonus points for pointing it out!!!

This thread will be deleted soon.

Nahhhhh. However, I just might go back and edit the posts to contain pictures of cats, just cuz, yanno, I'm crazed with the power! :whistle:

Muh-wah-hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:woot.gif:

Ok, ok, I'm kidding. Nothing to deal with here, I'll move along.

Al P.

Moderation team Supervisory Participation Supervisor and Coffee Maker. Third Class. Pending Peer Review.

So let's see, Politics (check) Aircraft type comparison (check) Music (check) Climate (check) Movie reviews (check) Trumpeter critique (check)...well then...ummmm....how's the weather? (oops)

Bill

You did forget "Being an Internet Jerk to others"...Check. That one always gets Mod attention.

Al P.

When I was a kid, they told us that by the year 2000 we'd all be eating our meals in pill form.

SN

...Steve,

REALLY..?

.... Well that is SO good to hear as I am in the Year 1432 AH right now so I have long way to go... woo hoo I can STILL enjoy REAL food !!! :explode::thumbsup:

HOLMES :blink: :tease:

and that we'd be living on the moon, flying in antigravity vehicles and that all wars would be abolished. Yeah, right.

Different generations I guess. We were told we would be living in domes here on earth due to the pollution and what not. I am a little disappointed. Fresh air is overrated anyway.

I wanted my own space dome! I run my car 24/7-- still nothing.

I have a pet theory I'm toying with for politics: I'm considering instituting the "Apophis Standard" for all arguments over current events. It's not worth arguing over in anything but the most polite tone, unless it ranks up with a giant asteroid suddenly smashing into the earth, killing potentially billions of people, and leaving the rest (such as there are any) in such a state of social, political, and economic dislocation to ensure much more trauma to follow for centuries. By this standard, I think the all the bluster surrounding "issues" currently debated by politicians and news networks seem hilariously petty.

Two important corallaries: For one, this isn't to say one shouldn't care about political issues, or one shouldn't vote, or communicate with public officials, or even debate issues in civilized fashion. It's to say that in pleading your case or contradicting another's, if you raise your voice over any issue that falls short of an abrupt, global civilization-destroying asteroid, you're wasting time.

This is the even bigger point: There are issues that rank on this scale in importance; you probably think you have some, or that your pet issues can rank at that level. But think: Is the person you're arguing with, or others listening likely to feel that way too? If not, lots of shouting, name-calling, and related theatrics is a waste of time.

The "Apophis Standard:" If it isn't a giant, humanity-blasting asteroid, then sit down, take a breath, speak calmly, and occasionally listen to what the other person is trying to say.

I admit, the whole idea is still a bit half-baked. So I'm not about to get angry and defensive about "the Apophis Standard," if someone disagrees with me.