So let's see, Politics (check) Aircraft type comparison (check) Music (check) Climate (check) Movie reviews (check) Trumpeter critique (check)...well then...ummmm....how's the weather? (oops)

Bill

Hey speaking of movie reviews....anyone seen Skyline? Now there's an odd little movie......excellent special effects.....but the story was pretty thin.....I read one online review and the guy said he apologised to his wife after they saw the movie. :jaw-dropping:

We haven't had the polite and casual validity of religion discussion yet...

Pllllease, don't go there....that's as big a can of worms as Politics, if not bigger....as whenever that topics appears religious zealots, atheist, agnostics, tend to throw a whole $1 worth in and civility goes by the wayside. I'm not labeling anyone here as anyone of those, as I've not seen a religious discussion here to say that.

Pllllease, don't go there....that's as big a can of worms as Politics, if not bigger....as whenever that topics appears religious zealots, atheist, agnostics, tend to throw a whole $1 worth in and civility goes by the wayside. I'm not labeling anyone here as anyone of those, as I've not seen a religious discussion here to say that.

I'm crushed that you didn't mention the Druids.......and deeply offended you didn't mention the Reformed Sect of the Druid Faith......of which I am the solitary member. :whistle:

Yup....that's me a Sun Worshipper. :whistle:

This thread will be deleted soon. Topics that create bad feelings towards one another just have no place here. This is a plastic scale model site, that occationally diverts off with a few harmless topics. There's plenty of other sites out there that love nothing more than to wallow in those other gutters. They aren't hard to find.

I'm crushed that you didn't mention the Druids.......and deeply offended you didn't mention the Reformed Sect of the Druid Faith......of which I am the solitary member. :whistle:

Yup....that's me a Sun Worshipper. :whistle:

"Gee you don't look Druish."

This thread will be deleted soon. Topics that create bad feelings towards one another just have no place here. This is a plastic scale model site, that occationally diverts off with a few harmless topics. There's plenty of other sites out there that love nothing more than to wallow in those other gutters. They aren't hard to find.

The point is there is no topic that is immune from "creating bad feelings towards one another". There are certain sensitive subjects true, but people are people and there are going to be opinions that differ on just about ANY subject. AND I'll point out that MOST of the "topics that create bad feelings towards one another" are typically modeling related. So if that is to be shut down as well then this is going to be a pretty strange modeling site. One of the more heated modeling threads is the rivet-counter vs the looks-like-a-plane guys. Heck even the annual Christmas raffle threads have had their share of insults and bruises going on in years past. So which "gutter" would that be considered? Just an observation.

I thought the thread in question was a very interesting topic and the insult that was thrown had pretty much been resolved. It stayed civil with minor bruising. All I am saying is give peace a chance. :rolleyes:

Anyway, carry on. nothing to see here.

Bill

My wife frequents a site/forum the focuses on designer handbags and fashion. They too, have their forum broken down into sub-forums of different name brands, buy-and-sell and such (just like ours).

One day I asked my wife how often the members of her favorite forum argue over certain topics, and what topics tend to ignite the fiercest disagreements. She answered there are never any arguments. All they do is post pics to show each other's newest purchases. The mods at lady's handbags forums simply have the Internet's easiest job.

So there you have it, on the Internet, guys grandstand and try to out macho each other, while the cyber world is all just pink bunnies and fluffy clouds for the ladies.

Terry

i just don't get why some people do need to posts on some threads, (just) because they don't like it! (the subject, or title)

i generally avoid topics of subjects i don't like.

if there was a topic on "your toughts about ELVIS" ... i know that there surely be a lot of elvis fans there...

so i wouldn't post there my hate of elvis and elvis fans (even under more "diplomatic" words) how he sucks for this or that reason...

...and so on....

I don't get Professionnal sport interrest!!! don't ask me what i tought about thousands of ****** sit in a stadium to look at ****** stolling millions... So, i never ever post on Professionnal sport related topics!!!

neither no need to go on Tomcat dedicated threads, to tell them that if they'd love such a plane, it's surely related to some repressed homosexuality... (i was just showing how gross this could turn, if there was not only citizen of a certain country that post hyper agressives posts!)

even if i don't agree on how certain topics are closed

(cos sometimes i would like to know what "the ARC modelling community" thinks about a subject not related too modelling)

i have to agree that this place should stay mostly focussed on modeling stuff.

Edited by mingwin

In all groups of people.........you will get a certain percentage that enjoys and sometimes thrives on being rude and abusive. Factor in that a certain percentage of people become violent when they drink, this also means that some abusive drunks will post when they've had too much to drink. When sober....these guys might come across as being very nice individuals. Other people suffer from depression or they are in a low spot in their life and that is causing them much grief (no job, divorce etc) and their grief or anger will come out in their posts.

All of these poeple above are not unable to control their negative posts 100% of the time.

Now factor in the male ego.......and the need to be recognised as the Alpha male when you "think" you are an expert on a certain topic and even the most sane person can become unglued.

But.....thankfully the bulk of people are very civil and polite.......hence the reason forums like this amble along in a generally very civil and productive way.

Me?......I avoid negative stuff on here.........don't like the bad vibes......there is plenty of that in real life......

The point is there is no topic that is immune from "creating bad feelings towards one another". There are certain sensitive subjects true, but people are people and there are going to be opinions that differ on just about ANY subject. AND I'll point out that MOST of the "topics that create bad feelings towards one another" are typically modeling related. So if that is to be shut down as well then this is going to be a pretty strange modeling site. One of the more heated modeling threads is the rivet-counter vs the looks-like-a-plane guys. Heck even the annual Christmas raffle threads have had their share of insults and bruises going on in years past. So which "gutter" would that be considered? Just an observation.

I thought the thread in question was a very interesting topic and the insult that was thrown had pretty much been resolved. It stayed civil with minor bruising. All I am saying is give peace a chance. :worship:

Anyway, carry on. nothing to see here.

Bill

I know this can be frustrating. An open forum with mostly civil type people - you'd think all would just go smooth and well. But in this age where folks hide behind the all mighty key-board, it's just not possible.

I know that other sites like to view ARC in a very sour light with the tight reins by the mods. And they often LOVE to point out that the "rules" are often not followed by the mods. But whatever. This site has the largest traffic of any of them, and to follow every rule to tee would simply be impossible. ARC is the one place I love to visit because of the fact that the "internet DB's" are just not welcome. There's enough forums on the web that cater (and coddle) to those types of jerks. This is the one forum I visit because the jerks are kept on a short leash, and the "hot topics" are kept to a minimum. In fact, this is the only model forum I visit on the web. But it's certainly not the only forum. I'm also on a truck forum I visit daily (for example). And believe me, the raunchy red-neck types that visit that forum make those "thickskined" model forums look like a group of pink puppies!! So I'm not wet behind the ears to this stuff. I have thick skin as well.

This site is my relief from that stuff. There's a million forums on the interwebs for "hot topics". And they're all easy to find. Keep this place clean (as much as we can), and let the other places wallow in the mud.

My wife frequents a site/forum the focuses on designer handbags and fashion. They too, have their forum broken down into sub-forums of different name brands, buy-and-sell and such (just like ours).

One day I asked my wife how often the members of her favorite forum argue over certain topics, and what topics tend to ignite the fiercest disagreements. She answered there are never any arguments. All they do is post pics to show each other's newest purchases. The mods at lady's handbags forums simply have the Internet's easiest job.

So there you have it, on the Internet, guys grandstand and try to out macho each other, while the cyber world is all just pink bunnies and fluffy clouds for the ladies.

Terry

I used to be a regular on a cat lover's forum. Same story. Pretty peaceful.

That was years ago, however, and I feel that people have become less civil

in recent years. Besides, it's really easy to hide behind a modem. I highly

doubt most of these people would conduct themselves like that face-to-face.

I have to agree with Tilt here.

I like the fact that ARC tends to be a little conservative when it comes to tolerance of nasty interaction.

Might have something to do with my attitude when it comes to individual rights vs collective safety... I come here to enjoy common interests in plastic models, and to have fun, polite conversations with people that enjoy the hobby. I don't come here to troll or to whine and complain about real world stuff. I get enough of that everywhere else.

ALF

I like the fact that ARC tends to be a little conservative when it comes to tolerance of nasty interaction.

Might have something to do with my attitude when it comes to individual rights vs collective safety... I come here to enjoy common interests in plastic models, and to have fun, polite conversations with people that enjoy the hobby. I don't come here to troll or to whine and complain about real world stuff. I get enough of that everywhere else.ALF

HEAR ! HEAR !!!

I try to be nice..I dont like nasty things ..PEACE !!! That is what I like.,

Might have something to do with my attitude when it comes to individual rights vs collective safety... I come here to enjoy common interests in plastic models, and to have fun, polite conversations with people that enjoy the hobby. I don't come here to troll or to whine and complain about real world stuff. I get enough of that everywhere else.

ALF

I understand what you guys are saying, I really do. I understand the desire to come here and not find all this name calling and arguements. But to me, it just seems like sometimes the whole thread is shutdown because of a few mean things being said much too early. And in many cases the issues have already been resolved. As a musician, I found the Lennon thread pretty fascinating and it was locked down (very quickly) just because one guy said another guy had poor spelling (which happened to be somewhat true) It didn't get real ugly and once called on it the dude even said he may have over reacted and explained why he did. It wasn't even a fight but more of a "whatever" back and forth.

I know it's nearly impossible for the mods to come in and "scrub" a thread to clean out the nastiness and it's easier to just shut'erdown. I understand that. But I think some threads have gotten WAAY more out of hand than this particular one and it goes on and on for tens of pages with mod participation and all. And some times those threads are surgically cleaned instead of shut down. Can't really see what the pattern is though.

I don't expect an explaination nor do I feel entitled to one. I just merely wanted to point out something I felt. And to possibly make a small suggestion IF it's even technically possible. Is it possible to have a temporary lock down feature in this type of forum? Sort of a "hey break it up and cool off" for a day or two instead of ok, nobody talk about this subject anymore, it's dangerous. I don't know if the program that this forum is build around allows for such a thing but it seems in many cases it might be a little less harsh.

Ok, really this time I mean it, move along there really is nothing to see here.

Bill