Ju 388- Planet Models 1/48 Resin

Thanks, guys! The whole fin/rudder was a bit of a save, as I did an all-thumbs job at cutting them apart. I'll probably monkey with all the other trim tabs now- in for a pfennig, in for a reichsmark! I may have to work this weekend, but if not I'll be doing the hairspray trick on the Kubel and well build- hopefully getting it right this time!

cheers-

chuk

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, that really does make the innards "pop" Chuk ..

Mind you, when I first read the phrase "ZENithal Lighting" I immediately had an image of you sitting in the full lotus position hovering about a foot off the floor whilst your tools etc mysteriously worked by themselves!

This is seriously getting the full works treatment. Great stuff and educational too.

Cheers

Obant :smiley-transport008:

Edited by Obant

Now if we could just get Fritzi to keep a tighter schedule! What's german for build the damn thing already! I can't hold out this long between updates! All kidding aside, I love watching your builds,they're amazing, I always pick up on something that helps me out. Now, get back to work! :smiley-computer012:

Thanks, Guys! Glad you like it- I had a lot of fun trying "color modulation", myself. I guess the big difference between this technique and any old-school airbrush shading is twofold:

1. Imagine you're walking through a creepy old hangar with your pals Scooby and Shaggy, pointing a single flashlight at a mysterious bulkhead...

2. Painting various and random details in the palest shade used.

There- I've used Scoob and Shaggy in a modeling post- I guess I can retire now! Well, maybe not- too big a stash, and there's that 1/35 well diorama, too. I'll be working on that this weekend!

Cheers-

chuk

• 2 weeks later...

The best laid plans and all that! I had this update ready on Monday, the 4th of July, but technical issues have delayed it until now. I'm up and running on a somewhat shaky basis, but let's get on with the show!

388_090.jpg

388_091.jpg

388_092.jpg

388_093.jpg

388_094.jpg

388_095.jpg

388_096.jpg

388_097.jpg

388_098.jpg

Just how cool is that???

Very inventive techniques as always ... Y'know, Pfennig really needs to learn to trust you, I mean - No one likes a grumpy penny ... or perhaps it's his age???

Brilliant stuff.

Obant

:smiley-transport006:

388_098.jpg

Wow Chuck!

As always, I've been silently following your build... as exiting, entertaining, and educational as all your previous ones. thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

I do have one question regarding this white knuckle moment that is dipping in boiled water...

How long of a dip do you recommend?

I have a resin XB-51 with a bannana for a fusselage half. I actually thought about sectioning up the warpped fusselage half and gluing it in pieces to the good half, but I'd like to give this method a try first.

please advice.

thanks,

Ernie A.

Thanks, guys!

BAH, I hate to say it, but Fritzi's gone now- she had a long and happy life- and was one of those neighborhood grandmothers who always had a plate of cookies for the local kids.

Ernie, I held it for maybe 45 seconds or so- until it got, um, bendy. It's not so scary when you don't have a full cockpit attached! You can use tongs to get the whole piece in- I held mine with an oven mitt. Have the cool, wet dishrag within reach! The whole process takes less time than boiling that big ol' pot of water- just don't get burned!

Headhunter, I figured those stencils won't be all that visible in the final cockpit- they're just there to give the impression of stenciling. If your eyes are that good you'd have to be an elf!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chuck.... greetings from Brazil again my friend...

Your work always a good surprise...Learning from you...or at least trying to...

Tks for your reply on my waldron question... i think i will go with the sub mini...

Shep

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Shep- you'll love that tool set!

It's been a really hard week- but modeling has helped me keep my sanity in the face of losing our dear dog unexpectedly. Thanks to those who have offered their support it means so much to my wife and I!

388_107.jpg

388_108.jpg

388_109.jpg

388_110.jpg

388_111.jpg

388_112.jpg

Looking great Chuk! Can you give specifics on the "alcohol based markers", as in brand or ?? You must have a newer version of the RB riveter, as mine looks like the rivet wheel attached to half a #11 blade. Still works great though. How did you, if at all, deal with the area where a vertical row of rivets crosses a horizontal row? If you just rivet away, you can end up with two rivets (one vert, one horiz) in nearly the same location. I've done it in the past for lack of knowing how to deal with that situation. Hope that makes sense.

Glad your project can help you through the rough times you are experiencing now. Sorry for your loss Chuk.

Brian