1/32 Tamiya F-4E post-Vietnam- Kicked up a notch.

Well Boys, this is my last build post for at least a month. I am going on an extended vacation and won't get back to handling plastic and glue until the New Year, which will be the first anniversary of the commencement of this build. As mentioned earlier, I am enjoying all the details and treating each stage as a separate model in itself. I will still have internet access and I'll still be able to respond to questions, etc., but there will not be any new build pics. To hold you over until then, I dug up a few of my favorites as I completed key stages along the way. I hope you have enjoyed viewing them as much as I have posting them!

Outboardwing20.jpg

Gearpaint1.jpg

Chute7.jpg

Titanium9.jpg

Titanium10.jpg

Titanium18.jpg

Gun25.jpg

Pullhoops2.jpg

Canopyglass14.jpg

BeaconLt1.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3
Sooooo, I tore the sucker out!....

A view from the side after a light sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper. This is just about right for angle and scale....

You want that recess line at the rear of the vent to be shallow, unlike how I had it before, so that you can envision it popping down flush when the engines are started....

I like that gun gas purge door MUCH better. As long as you're fixing things, that panel line on the right side by the cockpits for the Navy air refuel probe cover doesn't exist on USAF machines. Here's a shot I took of the derelict F-4C that shows that area, as you can see it's just one solid piece of sheetmetal, no cutouts or panel lines:

Scan78.jpg

I still don't care for the access panels sticking out on the sides of the intakes, but if you prefer it... She's looking really sweet otherwise.

I like that gun gas purge door MUCH better. As long as you're fixing things, that panel line on the right side by the cockpits for the Navy air refuel probe cover doesn't exist on USAF machines. Here's a shot I took of the derelict F-4C that shows that area, as you can see it's just one solid piece of sheetmetal, no cutouts or panel lines:

I still don't care for the access panels sticking out on the sides of the intakes, but if you prefer it... She's looking really sweet otherwise.

NOW you tell me! :bandhead2:

Haha, just kidding. Better to fix things now than regret doing them later. It's going to be tough getting into that area between the "Splitter" ( :P ) and the fuselage, but it can be done- so it will be.

I agree about the raised access panels, but removing them does present a problem. As you may recall, the rear larger one was on the DMold intakes and the front smaller one wasn't there at all. Normally with plastic, like the other raised panels, it was no sweat to sand them down and then re-scribe new panels and rivets. On resin, though, the resin easily chips and new panel lines can look rough. My first attempt was crappy, hence the new vinyl ones, which I think look better than anything I can re-scribe into resin. It's a compromise that still bugs me though, so I may rip them off and try again- or not.

NOW you tell me! :bandhead2:

Haha, just kidding. Better to fix things now than regret doing them later. It's going to be tough getting into that area between the "Splitter" ( :P ) and the fuselage, but it can be done- so it will be.

I agree about the raised access panels, but removing them does present a problem. As you may recall, the rear larger one was on the DMold intakes and the front smaller one wasn't there at all. Normally with plastic, like the other raised panels, it was no sweat to sand them down and then re-scribe new panels and rivets. On resin, though, the resin easily chips and new panel lines can look rough. My first attempt was crappy, hence the new vinyl ones, which I think look better than anything I can re-scribe into resin. It's a compromise that still bugs me though, so I may rip them off and try again- or not.

Wow, that is a dilemma. How about ripping off the scab panels and just draw the panel lines in? Might not even be noticeable that they aren't scribed, I'm hoping.

Chuck,

superb job!

Waiting for the next to come...

I made a master of 1/32 pave-spike pod for IsraDecal and it will be available soon.

Netanel

Wow Netanel! That pod looks fantastic and is at least 10 times better than anything I could scratch build. Thanks for the heads-up.

Wow Netanel! That pod looks fantastic and is at least 10 times better than anything I could scratch build. Thanks for the heads-up.

I agree, it looks like you did an incredible job on the master, Natanel. I'll be buying one for sure! If ever you want to take a minute and describe the process you use for making such a work of art, I'd love to read it.

Chuck, hope you have a great vacation and holiday, and I'll be looking forward to your return. I hope to have some progress on my F-4D to show you as well.

Scott W.

• 2 weeks later...

Chuck, looks awesome dude!! You're just knocking out one master build after another!!

Scott, is there something wrong with your photobucket cause I'm not seeing your photos or is it just my computer? Anyway, keep up the good work guys.

Mike

Scott, is there something wrong with your photobucket cause I'm not seeing your photos or is it just my computer? Anyway, keep up the good work guys.

Mike

Nothing wrong except too many people are looking at the too many photos I've posted and I went over Photobucket's bandwidth limit. They should be back up at the start of "my" next month, the which is the 19th (tomorrow as I write this). I posted a few photos without compressing the files, not knowing Photobucket has such a limit. I plan to spend some time getting rid of the larger files so this hopefully won't happen again.

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Thank you very much guys for the kind comments. I especially enjoy the feedback from a few Greek modelers, because for some reason, some of the very best models come from the great skills out of Greece. Is it the Mediterranean sunshine and Ouzo? I've been to Greece and I love it- especially the Greek islands. Financial crisis or not, your country is beautiful.

Right now I'm trapped without access to plastic or glue and I really miss progressing with this F-4E build. Don't feel too sorry for me, however, since I'm looking at palm trees and white sand as I type. I must be a sick modeler like many of you for even thinking such a thing!- but I take comfort in the fact I'm not alone. A modeling break can be a very good thing, because I have a few new ideas to make this model even better than first planned, with time off to think about some of the future challenges. I promise you won't be disappointed and thanks for your continued interest.

BTW, as many of you have no doubt noticed, the dates posted at the beginning of this build do not change unless there is actual new modeling, to save you from checking in with each new post if you don't want to.

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

Chuck my friend, thanks for your kind words for us, by the way, where exactly are you ''trapped''? I can assemble a rescue team consisting of me, myself, and a friend of mine, me, asap to come in to save you, :lol: :lol:

Have a nice vacation...

John

Chuck my friend, thanks for your kind words for us, by the way, where exactly are you ''trapped''? I can assemble a rescue team consisting of me, myself, and a friend of mine, me, asap to come in to save you, :lol: :lol:

Have a nice vacation...

John

Thanks John. The answer is Maui, Hawaii. Enough said- although I'm not trying to brag. Well, maybe just a little...:lol:

I have a little modeling history with Greece, ever since my friend Alex of Hellenic Modelers did this with his computer to my Lancaster build. I still can't believe it's not a pic of the real deal. Note the added pilot!

LANK_correcttones.jpg

Edited by chuck540z3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well boys, I'm finally back and after a good day of modeling, I have a small update. Thanks to Scott I have discovered that the side panel where the F-4J refueling probe goes does not exist on the F-4E, soooooo....

RefuelDoor1.jpg

... and after some careful sanding in a difficult and tight location, all is better now. I should have done this earlier, so make sure you get rid of this panel before you get this far in the build.

RefuelDoor2.jpg

Another thing I should have done earlier is to modify the vent at the bottom rear of the vari-ramp. Tamiya supplies a 2 duct vent at the top which is fairly accurate (see above), but for the bottom duct they just left a big square hole. There should be roughly a 3 duct vent at the bottom, with the inner duct larger than the outer 2. These ducts are MUCH more complicated that just adding a few vent blades out of styrene, but it's better than nothing at all.....

VariDuct1.jpg

On my next F-4 I'll detail and thin this vent during assembly to make it more accurate. I doubt most people would notice anyway.

One other error to the vent is the bottom panel line, which should angle towards the inner corner of the vent (red line below) instead of parallel to it....

VariDuct2.jpg

I filled the old panel line with CA glue and re-scribed a better one on each side. Much better now....

VariDuct3.jpg

While I fool around with pylons and ordnance, I thought it might be timely to start painting this monster so that I can let the enamel paint thoroughly dry between the application of each color. This is the ugly duckling stage of pre-shading and thin paint. I like to overdo the pre-shading a bit because I can always tone it down with more paint later. After pre-shading, I added the lighter Dark Tan (FS 30219) first without worrying too much about masking tape lines because the darker green camo colors will cover the demarcation line. This demarcation will be slightly fuzzy if I do it right to replicate the free-hand application of the camo color scheme....

CamoPaint1.jpg

CamoPaint2.jpg

The underside only has one shade of Camouflage Gray (FS 36622), so the painting of the bottom is done, other than pylons and ordnance I`ll add later. I think the pre-shading is just about perfect.....

CamoPaint3.jpg

A close-up....

CamoPaint4.jpg

The front. Note the new vents and modified panel lines....

CamoPaint5.jpg

That`s it for now boys. Thanks for your continued interest.

CamoPaint5.jpg

That`s it for now boys. Thanks for your continued interest.

Looking GREAT! I want to modify my vari-ramps the way you did, looks much better. Chuck, the small blade antenna just behind the nose gear well is only on the F-4C and D after they deleted the lower TACAN antenna on the rear nose gear door. It doesn't belong on an F-4E at all.

Glad you had a good holiday, welcome back!

Scott W.