The IMC "Battle Damaged" A-4 Skyhawk and RF-4B Phantom kits, bought for me at the NAS Pt Mugu Airshow when I was about 5 ...

Monogram's 1/48 F4U-4B Corsair, the white boxing, way back in the late 70's. I remember getting it a K Mart when they had a huge selection of kits.

Back then, Kmart had a hobby shop in the toy department ... Ah, those were the days ... :)

Gregg

My first kit that I actually built was the Man From U.N.C.L.E. car back in the '60's. None of the functioning features worked after the globs of glue and I painted it baby blue oil paint from a paint by number set. Darn thing took forever to dry. B)

Don

wow I was about 5 in 1972, My grandfather asked me what kit I wanted when we were at our local discount store.

I looked at the shelves of plastic goodness.

Did I want the Spock battling the 3 headed snake?

The Shuttle Craft Galileo?

a giant P-51 or the Huge Funny Car?

No I wanted the USS Enterprise!

and not the Wooden Ship, the Star Trek Classic!!!

I sat at the table with my grandfather for hours as we put it together. (HE did almost all the putting together)

Darned Nacelles never went straight, and the Saucer was a bit wobbly.

But I relived every mission of the crew.

I had that model up to 1980, in various pieces and parts.

William G

I believe my first kit was a 1/35 Tamiya M-41 Walker Bulldog my dad bought me when I was 7-10 years old in the early to mid-80s. Built with tube glue (with lots of help from my dad, even though he had never built a model), left unpainted, and decaled hastily, I played with it for several years.

I'm curious to know which kits were my fellow modelers very first. I don't know how many of us can say with 100% accuracy, I know I can't, but if not, what's your best guess? What year was it? How old were you?

Aaron

Easy. I was given the kit by my late uncle for Christmas 1962 and it was an Airfix 1/72 Buccaneer. Must have been the NA.39 kit which would have been pretty new at the time.

I can date it because I started school in January 1963 and there's a photo of me taking it to school for "Show and Tell"

Shane

I was about 9 or 10 years old in the early 80s when Monograms' Snap-Tite 1/72 F-4E Phantom became my first model kit.

I had it together within about 5 minutes of coming home from the shop and was flying it everywhere around the house. Doing carrier landings on the coffee table, ditching at sea in the bathtub, intercepting the dog.....

Then I noticed the painting instructions and decals about two weeks after I put it together and started playing with it and thought they might be a good idea. :lol:

Mine was the 1/72nd Matchbox 2 seater Mirage IIIB, painted up as an RAAF bird. i was 5

22 years later i've still got it in the cabinet :thumbsup:

Denzil

Edited by DDC

1/72 Revell? F-15 Eagle. I made it with my grandpa. I remember we used the testors tube cement, and the canopy was completely opaque by the time we were done. I dont think we even attempted to paint it. Wish I still had it!

Very first model was a Snap-Tite Space Shuttle picked up in 3rd Grade on a trip to Kennedy Space Center sometime in the '70's. First glue kit was the Testors Learjet assembled at the dining room table with my dad. I think there's a couple of parts from that Space Shuttle still in my spares bin....

There were a couple small things and what not... but the first one I sat down with and built up that didn't get blown up was the ole 1/48 Linberg PT-17 Stearman. In fact, I saw one at the last club meeting last week and picked it up. Some day I'll rebuild that aircraft...

Thanks for sharing, everyone. What great stories and what a great hobby. I think we all usually have a kit that got us back into the hobby too, after girls got us distracted for all those years. Mine was a 1/72 Monogram B-52 my brother gave me. Maybe a topic for another day.

Happy Modeling!

Aaron