Here's the box art for Tamiya's Mustang!

cool.. are there any pictures of test shots or prototypes out there? I really want to see how this things looks

Sean

That's all I could find.

I'm sure more will come out in the coming weeks.

I really want to see how this things looks

Sean

It will look more like a Mustang than any other kit has so far, guaranteed. :nanner:

Looking forward to it. Beautiful boxart.

LOVE the Mustang. Pre-ordered 3 (303 Squadron Polish Air Force, 424 Squadron RCAF (1950s), and probably a RAAF or RNZAF) and will likely buy one at the local shop for 8th Air Force (20th FG or maybe 356th). Looking forward to this one!!

Cheers,

Richard

I am glad that this kit will be around for a while(it will wont it?)

With the sort of investment that Tamiya put in, I don't think that you need worry on that score; how many will be left, by other modellers, for you to get your hands on, is a different matter, entirely.

Edgar

Interesting choice of markings subjects. All 8th Air Force. Minor quibble but it would have been nice to have something else. That's why we have aftermarket decals.

From the choice of markings, it appears this will be a "one stop shopping" P-51D.

Glengary Guy is a D-5NA and did not a fin fillet (44-13760)

Clicky

Petie 2nd is a D-10NA and had a fin fillet (44-14151)

clicky

Blondie is a D-25NA and would have been capable of carrying rockets. The D-25NA also has some minor differences over earlier variants (battery location, tail warning radar, etc) (44-73304)

If the kit really contains all the parts to do these variants it would be easy to do almost any Army Air Force variant of the D. Perhaps Tamiya will do a different boxing with parts to do a "K" (Aeroproducts propeller) or a Korean War boxing with the square-tipped Hamilton Standard prop, rockets, bombs, etc.

I can't wait... :jaw-dropping:

Happy happy joy joy!

I'll wait for it to hit the LHS shelves before I buy, but I see at least two in my future. And if Tamiya includes the louvres that cover the cowl breather panels on RCAF Mk.IV's, I'll be even happier. If not, I'll pray for an aftermarket option.

Interesting choice of markings subjects. All 8th Air Force. Minor quibble but it would have been nice to have something else. That's why we have aftermarket decals.

From the choice of markings, it appears this will be a "one stop shopping" P-51D.

Clicky

clicky

Blondie is a D-25NA and would have been capable of carrying rockets. The D-25NA also has some minor differences over earlier variants (battery location, tail warning radar, etc) (44-73304)

If the kit really contains all the parts to do these variants it would be easy to do almost any Army Air Force variant of the D. Perhaps Tamiya will do a different boxing with parts to do a "K" (Aeroproducts propeller) or a Korean War boxing with the square-tipped Hamilton Standard prop, rockets, bombs, etc.

I can't wait... :D

I agree, it appears it will be a one stop shopping as far as the airframe goes, I guess other potential boxings will be defined by theater of operation (Iwo Jima, Korea etc...) or by Air Force (9th AF, RAAF etc...) hopefully they'll come with a few additional parts where appropriate.

The battery was relocated to make room for the IFF set on P-51D-30s not on D-25s.

There are indeed a lot of differences between a D-25 and the earlier D-5s or 10s.

Some access panels are different, the attachment points for the drop tank's pressure lines changed then there are numerous differences in the cockpit (anti glare panel, armor plate, gunsight etc...), even a different canopy handle.

There's a lot more to it (thankfully not all visible), the P-51D was in constant evolution totaling 6 generations.

I don't expect Tamiya to get all of this accurately but I hope they cover the most visible differences, the description we got so far from Marcus Nicholls is encouraging.

I would be surprised if they include parts for the filleted and filletless tails. In the original 8th AF edition of the P-51D in 1/48, one of the marking options was for Lou IV which was of course a filletless D-5, they even showed the profile on the side of the box without the fillet, yet the kit only ever came with the filleted tail.

I would be surprised if they include parts for the filleted and filletless tails. In the original 8th AF edition of the P-51D in 1/48, one of the marking options was for Lou IV which was of course a filletless D-5, they even showed the profile on the side of the box without the fillet, yet the kit only ever came with the filleted tail.

The listing on HLJ says that it comes with both the filleted and filletless tail.

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM60322?utm_me...=ibtam60322.png

Thank you Lord Jesus... and forgive those who wanted another Bf 109.

Well I didn't necessarily want another 109, but then again I wouldn't have complained too much either... :)

Trumpeter's 1/32 109G-6 will be out soon though, so who who needs Tamiya though? ;)

I'm happy for all the P-51 enthusiasts though, this one is long overdue and I'll have a few in my stash as well.

Edited by The Mikester

Clicky

clicky

I can't wait... :P

The editor of Tamiya magazine confirmed the kit has both inserts for both tails, one with a fin fillet and one without.

• 2 weeks later...

Well if anything is going to tempt me into 1:32nd then this is it, but at the price expected here in England I will probably conclude that my 1:48 stash is plenty to keep me going.

Mind you, whilst I appreciate that there is probably an element of scaling up existing artwork to save a few Yen on the production costs ("Petie 2nd" and "Blondie" are both in Tamiya 1:48 boxings), it would have been nice to see some alternative never-before-kitted markings. I'm convinced that many people in the "casual buyer" market must think the Mighty Eighth's entire Mustang force consisted of "Petie 2nd", "Old Crow" and "Big Beautiful Doll", and that other Air Forces didn't even use them. Ah well, as Mr Ham (iirc) said above, that's why we have Aftermarket ...