,well for a while. I like listening to music whilst modelling, helps my concentration and relaxing. The modern music (read noise) finally got to me. So I went out and bought a digital radio(audio docking system), to get Gold which disappeared from my FM radio a few years ago.

Great, so now I can listen to just 50s, 60s and 70s music. But, now I have to contend with up your nose/in your face commercials and the word GOLD, to the point of nauseous brainwashing. This is GOLD, your No1 station for GOLD records, GOLD weather, GOLD news, GOLD travel, GOLD sport, GOLD this is GOLD jingle, here on GOLD, GOLD.com……

So finally a solution, bought a USB turntable and Walkman. I’ve recorded about 250 tracks so far and no more irritation, just my kind of music all the time. Only about half way through my collection though!

Lot of hours but worth the effort!

Personally, I use my i-pod. I put it on shuffle and listen away with no commercials and only music that I enjoy.

I hardly ever listen to the radio any more. Too much garbage, almost like network television.

Pandora radio is kind of neat, not ad free but not too in your face. I mostly use my phone like an MP3 player, but that is of course limited to music I own.

The nice thing with Pandora is you pick some songs or artists and it adjusts and adds similar ones to the play list. I like this for the added variety. I get to hear stuff I don't have, and some stuff I may not even be aware of without having to be at the full mercy of some radio station programers choices. If they play something I don't like I can just skip it or even put it on an I don't like it so don't play it again list.

I've been trying to find a station (internet or otherwise) that plays pre-1970's country. Only ran across two, one near Tucson,AZ and another in Vladivostok, Russia, and both of those 15+ years ago.

Generally, I try to avoid anything in the background while modelling, as I develop associations with the kit. I learned that horrible lesson as now I can't look at a Hind-E without the theme for Killer Clowns From Outer Space playing in my head.

I miss Music With Moskowitz.

Edited by Horrido

I've been trying to find a station (internet or otherwise) that plays pre-1970's country. Only ran across two, one near Tucson,AZ and another in Vladivostok, Russia, and both of those 15+ years ago.

Generally, I try to avoid anything in the background while modelling, as I develop associations with the kit. I learned that horrible lesson as now I can't look at a Hind-E without the theme for Killer Clowns From Outer Space playing in my head.

I miss Music With Moskowitz.

Horrido

Sometimes I isten to these radio stations which is free... it has quite a lot of choices... check out the menu as well as the WHAT'S HOT ON AOL and NEW MUSIC ON AOL RADIO.Click on BEST OF and you get everything from the 60's etc...

http://music.aol.com/radioguide/bb

ENJOY !

HOLMES ;)

Edited by HOLMES

Personally, I use my i-pod. I put it on shuffle and listen away with no commercials and only music that I enjoy.

I hardly ever listen to the radio any more. Too much garbage, almost like network television.

Same here. No commercials and all the music that I want. And you can pause it and come back to it. Greatest thing ever!! :thumbsup:

Granted I'm still sorting myself out from moving almost three years ago now (ALMOST ready to set up shop and get building again after three deployments and other life adventures...). But when I was in my old house in Nevada, my iTunes with thousands of songs was great, and ESPN radio live on line was good for me being the all-sports-but-the-NBA addict that I am.

Since then, I've discovered podcasts - so I can get almost more sports than I have time to listen to, either with the iPod and a dock, iTunes on the computer, or streaming over the internet (which is nice at work where portable media is verboten).

Personally I'm a fan of the Dan Patrick show (subscribable via iTunes and available at danpatrick.com), and a whole mess of stuff from ESPN via podcenter (a page on ESPNradio.com - how I listen to it at work) and also subscribable at iTunes. Also listen to the Football Weekly podcast from the Guardian - in other words, what the rest of the world calls football. :) All these podcasts are free, by the way.

I've also got a few pandora stations set up as well - I think it's a great service, and the way it plays songs it THINNKS you'll like based on what you've already picked is cool for discovering new stuff. I use the free version because the ads are sufficently infrequent, and low enough key, to not really bother me.

But, now I have to contend with up your nose/in your face commercials and the word GOLD, to the point of nauseous brainwashing. This is GOLD, your No1 station for GOLD records, GOLD weather, GOLD news, GOLD travel, GOLD sport, GOLD this is GOLD jingle, here on GOLD, GOLD.com…

Well, thread title was a surefire way to get readers' attention was it...

I like the selection from "Radio 80" here, but cannot stand their time signal. It goes: "Radio 80 - eightieth minute. In Italy it's 17:20... at Radio 80, it's 17:40".

So, what the bleeping time is it now? Is my watch on time or running late? Am I doing overtime or not? What a lousy gig.

So I buy a stereo to put in my model cave. I load up the CD player and let it run. This goes on for months then I say to myself, "self, why not check the tunes on the local radio stations". HUGE mistake, unless you love listening to commercials. Or like the mellow tone of Athabascan throat singers or the frantic sounds of "musicians" playing Beetles medlies on a homemade, Llama gut-strung harp guitar played by the DJs at the local university station.

The inovators of Rock N' Roll were the muscisins from the 50's, 60's and 70's (and earyl 1980's if you're into punk, ska, etc.), everything produced later is a copy. And often, a poor copy at that. :soapbox:

There /is/ some good music post-1979, and even a little bit of good music (and some rather innovative, too) being made nowadays, but not much.

Me, I just spin up VLC with a pile of MP3s of my favourite stuff and listen to that whilst working.

The only radio worth listening to anymore is shortwave (and hockey games).

It is a relief to know others suffer the same annoyances. Originally looked at the Apple Nano, but didn’t like the postage stamp size and touch screen. It really is unbelievable what you can store on an 8GB 'mochine' and what you can do with it, compared to a reel to reel.

Editing although time consuming is great, even spacing between tracks, fade in/out, ‘click’ free music with the software, or edit/cut a couple of thou to get rid of the more persistent problems.

Finally making full use of my record collection whilst getting to play at sound engineer, this is musical heaven.

:yahoo: