Revell's Old New Releases........for some

Some years back when Monogram was still a viable company and was one of the top plastic kit makers; they released some very sweet kits and more times than not they were the first to do it. Finally some of my prayers modeling wise are being answered startting with one of the first Hornet kits in 48th I give you Revell's re-release of Monograms Legacy F/A-18C. For those who have been looking for BRU-33A/A (VER not CVER) and haven't found them. They are in this kit along with mud movers, which some kit makers :whistle: don't offer .

Edited by #1 Greywolf

This is how Revell works: "Hey, what is the most not needed kit we could reissue?"

They should take Hobby Boss as an example. Every month 3-4 completly new, high quality kits instead of re-issuing old kits which are most of the time inferior to the same model of other companies on the market. Why do they reissue a Hornet with raised panel lines?!

/rant

This is how Revell works: "Hey, what is the most not needed kit we could reissue?"

They should take Hobby Boss as an example. Every month 3-4 completly new, high quality kits instead of re-issuing old kits which are most of the time inferior to the same model of other companies on the market. Why do they reissue a Hornet with raised panel lines?!

/rant

For one it's cheaper, and they give ya weapons, which not all shake and bake kit makers do. I'd guess mainly because it's cheaper and some folks look at that as the main point, if it looks, walks, and talks like a duck...it's all good.

. Why do they reissue a Hornet with raised panel lines?!

What's wrong with raised panel lines? Personally I prefer recessed, but a great kit with raised panel lines is worthwhile vs a crappy kit with recessed lines.

Some years back when Monogram was still a viable company and was one of the top plastic kit makers; they released some very sweet kits and more times than not they were the first to do it. Finally some of my prayers modeling wise are being answered startting with one of the first Hornet kits in 48th I give you Revell's re-release of Monograms Legacy F/A-18C. For those who have been looking for BRU-33A/A (VER not CVER) and haven't found them. They are in this kit along with mud movers, which some kit makers :whistle: don't offer .

Ok...I know I'm going out on a limb here. But what is BRU-33A/A (VER not CVER)? Also....a 'mud mover'? Is that a type of bomb or slang name for the Hornet?

Thanks

/rant

Hobby Boss & "high quality" in the SAME sentence??? :soapbox:

Maybe high quality to you does not mean ACCURATE?

Just my (and many others') 2¢.

As I have owned and built probably a baker's dozen of the Monogram/Revell F/A-18A kits over the last 25 years or so- but never a 'C', how did they do with the differences between the two versions? Mainly I am thinking about the tail differences and the LEX fences for the Charlie model. I think I recall seeing the blisters on the spine on the box photos for the C, and I would expect the chaff buckets and blade config reflect an earlier C configuration... NBD there, but the addition of well-molded LEX fences in the Monogram/Revell kit would be nothing short of huge. Aside from that crappy diagonal nose seam, I really, really like that old kit- even with the raised panel lines.

Edited by Nick Kessel

What's wrong with raised panel lines? Personally I prefer recessed, but a great kit with raised panel lines is worthwhile vs a crappy kit with recessed lines.

AMEN to that! The old Monogram kits are some of the best value for the money and are well within the price range of our younger builders. Some of the wonder kits out there and the not so wonderful kits have gotten so freakin expensive that I can't afford them let alone a kid.

Thanks Revell/Monogram. I for one will be picking up several of these for the stash.

Edited by Drifterdon

But what is BRU-33A/A (VER not CVER)?

BRU is a desgination for a Bomb Release Unit, while VER stands for "Vertical Ejector Rack". It's the piece of kit that enables the Hornet to carry more than one bomb per pylon.

CVER is a Canted VER - the bombs are suspended more widely than on the VER, and dangle at an angle.

Also....a 'mud mover'?

Air-to-ground weaponry.

HTH,

Andre

BRU is a desgination for a Bomb Release Unit, while VER stands for "Vertical Ejector Rack". It's the piece of kit that enables the Hornet to carry more than one bomb per pylon.

CVER is a Canted VER - the bombs are suspended more widely than on the VER, and dangle at an angle.

Air-to-ground weaponry.

HTH,

Andre

Also, the BRU-33/A is the original VER, the BRU-33A/A is the later Canted-VER (CVER).

I forget that there are some folks here who are not as literate on military jargon as others; so for those folks who don't know a BRU from a BRO....this site will be a great help and educator Aircraft systems. Now when we talk about BRU-33A's and LAU-129's you will know what they are with variants.

For people like me who are still learning and don't want to make noob mistakes on a $50 kit, the older Revell/Monogram jets are a godsend. The raised panel lines are a bummer sometimes, but they're still pretty great in a lot of other areas. The 1/48 Century Series cockpits in particular surpass the level of detail in a lot of the more recent kits, IMHO. And in many cases (Voodoo, Delta Dart, etc.) they're still the only game in town.

I'll probably pick up one of the Hornet reissues at some point. I built a couple of them as a kid, and it should be a nice nostalgia/practice build.

Edited by eharrold44

Air-to-ground weaponry.

HTH,

Andre

Awesome! Thanks so much!

I forget that there are some folks here who are not as literate on military jargon as others; so for those folks who don't know a BRU from a BRO....this site will be a great help and educator Aircraft systems. Now when we talk about BRU-33A's and LAU-129's you will know what they are with variants.

Thanks so much! Only on ARC....

For people like me who are still learning and don't want to make noob mistakes on a $50 kit, the older Revell/Monogram jets are a godsend. The raised panel lines are a bummer sometimes, but they're still pretty great in a lot of other areas. The 1/48 Century Series cockpits in particular surpass the level of detail in a lot of the more recent kits, IMHO. And in many cases (Voodoo, Delta Dart, etc.) they're still the only game in town.

I'll probably pick up one of the Hornet reissues at some point. I built a couple of them as a kid, and it should be a nice nostalgia/practice build.

i agree with you on these expensive kits. plus, you can find monogram/revell kits everywhere. it's a good price kit to learn on and build your skills. and also new tooled kits means more money. i just wish there fit was a little better.

and another thing is why spend a lot of money on a kit when your going to add resin parts and different decals?