Wikipedia going offline...

:blink: So here I am working , no slaving, away on MY reaserch for Criminology { This particular Unt deals with Drugs hence the title on top of the

linky } so that I can submit MY assignments and thinks " HOLMESY, YOU are well on

track with the assignment " ..must do more reaerch today before there is a black out{ 'cause I don't know when that will

be...er..timelie.. .etc...}

....and so duly I go this morning and hey .DARN !!! They DID IT...I have blackout..Bwaaaahhhhhhhhh :crying2: :blink: :blink:

...... http://en/wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

The link is actully worded with something like "what will be World be like without WIKIPEDIA...

etc " and it is black screen with a small paragraph of protest when I clicked for the reasearch this morning}.Now if you click it, the link it says the page is not availbale...Tsk!!!

I think this WILL BE best EXCUSE ever for a student for not handing in the assignment..... :whistle::whistle:

Edited by HOLMES

Now Chris Dodd is calling the blackouts an "abuse of power." Who says Americans don't understand irony?

Ha!

"I took the initiative in creating the internet." - Al Gore

He should have chosen his words more carefully ...

Gregg

Brought down by the same internet he helped create...

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

:blink: So here I am working , no slaving, away on MY reaserch for Criminology { This particular Unt deals with Drugs hence the title on top of the

linky } so that I can submit MY assignments and thinks " HOLMESY, YOU are well on

track with the assignment " ..must do more reaerch today before there is a black out{ 'cause I don't know when that will

be...er..timelie.. .etc...}

....and so duly I go this morning and hey .DARN !!! They DID IT...I have blackout..Bwaaaahhhhhhhhh :crying2: :blink: :blink:

...... http://en/wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug

The link is actully worded with something like "what will be World be like without WIKIPEDIA...

etc " and it is black screen with a small paragraph of protest when I clicked for the reasearch this morning}.Now if you click it, the link it says the page is not availbale...Tsk!!!

I think this WILL BE best EXCUSE ever for a student for not handing in the assignment..... :whistle::whistle:

It's easy to get around the blackout if you have Google Chrome or Firefox with adblock installed.

Its pathetic that there is hardly anything in the news about both bills.

That's because the parent companies of the major news outlets - ie: Time Warner (CNN) and Newscorp (Fox News) - support the legislation.

Yes, the guy whos news outlet was busted for hacking cel phones and who thought MySpace would be a good investment is supporting SOPA and PIPA. That alone should be enough to tell anyone that this is bad legislation. Do we really want the studios who produced Pluto Nash and Justin Bieber to have magic-mod powers over the whole internet?

"I took the initiative in creating the internet." - Al Gore

He should have chosen his words more carefully ...

Gregg

No, not really. You are doing it Fox news style, and taking it totally out of context. And that is even when you have full quote in front of you. Excellent job.

That's because the parent companies of the major news outlets - ie: Time Warner (CNN) and Newscorp (Fox News) - support the legislation.

Yes, the guy whos news outlet was busted for hacking cel phones and who thought MySpace would be a good investment is supporting SOPA and PIPA. That alone should be enough to tell anyone that this is bad legislation. Do we really want the studios who produced Pluto Nash and Justin Bieber to have magic-mod powers over the whole internet?

Could not have said it better.

Never forget that news is a business too. For some reason folks think the selfless "up all night, just find the truth, for the public good" reporter still exists. They are Teleprompter parrots, people. They say what they are told so their paychecks don't stop. News has to sell Ads too.

No, not really. You are doing it Fox news style, and taking it totally out of context. And that is even when you have full quote in front of you. Excellent job.

No, I didn't "take it out of context", I took a phrase the Man said and wrote that he should have chosen his words more carefully, I didn't "report" anything as news... It was an opinion ... Excellent job in misunderstanding ... :thumbsup:

Gregg

Apparently you're missing the point of the whole thing. These websites are not trying to "show 'em". The point is to make more people aware. And it's working. When I saw the headline for that article, I had no clue what the SOPA even was now I do and I'm sure other are as well.

People are being made aware, and now even some of the news outlets are starting to catch on. THAT was the point.

And yet I still don't give a rip.

It won't pass. Even if it were to sneak through the House and the Senate.....it would probably be deemed unconstitutional.

Our two houses of Congress can't pass anything right now, regardless of what party or group of people propose it.

This is working people up for no reason, much like the "government is going to take away your guns" thing that comes up every few years. It won't happen ultimately.

There is a very legitimate argument on both sides of the coin for this SOPA thing, if I'm reading it's outline correctly.

Much ado about nothing.

And yet I still don't give a rip.

It won't pass. Even if it were to sneak through the House and the Senate.....it would probably be deemed unconstitutional.

Our two houses of Congress can't pass anything right now, regardless of what party or group of people propose it.

This is working people up for no reason, much like the "government is going to take away your guns" thing that comes up every few years. It won't happen ultimately.

There is a very legitimate argument on both sides of the coin for this SOPA thing, if I'm reading it's outline correctly.

Much ado about nothing.

Totally, but of course they just passed a law that that says Americans deemed terrorists can be held without trial by the US Military. X-rays that violate probable cause to get on a airliner are commonplace now too... So a lot of "firsts" lately.

Do you have more or less freedom now or in the year 2000? simple question, yes or no. I have to say No myself. I don't fly anymore, thats for sure. Used to enjoy that.

Right. NDAA passed just fine. As to is SOPA able to pass? I have one thing to say... :)

yesitis2.gif

Right. NDAA passed just fine. As to is SOPA able to pass? I have one thing to say... :)

yesitis2.gif

Exactly! I have talked to people about NDAA and they say "the supreme court will just strike it down anyway!" And hey they are right, but how does one appeal to the supreme court when their case never goes to trial? :tumble:

From FARK.com:

While a bunch of other sites are going "dark" to protest SOPA/PIPA, we're over the moon about the whole thing. Why? Honestly, we've been bringing you the latest news happening across the internet for 12 years, and we're tired. And SOPA/PIPA is the perfect excuse to quit.

While SOPA might be "almost dead," it's not quite all the way there, and under various drafts of both SOPA/PIPA, Fark could have its DNS assignment (the thing that turns an IP address, like 10.0.0.1, into words like Fark.com) revoked without notice simply for linking to content that could come under foreign copyright claims. This means, even if it is actual news in and of itself, if we link to it, we can be shut down. And thank God, cause we’re about ready to crack under the strain of being on top of the news all the time.

Before this topic strays off the original topic, I'll say this;

I am a creative professional, a published composer; my music has been performed all throughout the US and Canada. As a creator and owner of intellectual property I understand that there is a need for protection against rampant piracy; I've been ripped off and cheated out of royalties by lots of otherwise perfectly nice people who just don't seem to understand or care about my compensation--people making unauthorized/illegal photocopies or performing music without reporting their performances to my performing-rights organization, this depriving me of additional income.

BUT, SOPA goes WAY TOO FAR! It would effectively stifle the free exchange of ideas on-line, as well as put a damper on much creatibve activity.

No creative artist works in a vacuumn; just about every "new" piece of art has some basis in things that have come before. SOPA is so overbroad that it would end up killing all types art and ideas before they even have a chance to be offered to the world.

Yes, there needs to be some protection against piracy, but SOPA is like using a nuke to kill a small nest of rats.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

Before this topic strays off the original topic, I'll say this;

I am a creative professional, a published composer; my music has been performed all throughout the US and Canada. As a creator and owner of intellectual property I understand that there is a need for protection against rampant piracy; I've been ripped off and cheated out of royalties by lots of otherwise perfectly nice people who just don't seem to understand or care about my compensation--people making unauthorized/illegal photocopies or performing music without reporting their performances to my performing-rights organization, this depriving me of additional income.

BUT, SOPA goes WAY TOO FAR! It would effectively stifle the free exchange of ideas on-line, as well as put a damper on much creatibve activity.

No creative artist works in a vacuumn; just about every "new" piece of art has some basis in things that have come before. SOPA is so overbroad that it would end up killing all types art and ideas before they even have a chance to be offered to the world.

Yes, there needs to be some protection against piracy, but SOPA is like using a nuke to kill a small nest of rats.

cheers

Old Blind Dog

I respect that :thumbsup:

The White house has already dropped the ''Fu- That Sh-'' bomb on SOPA.

But the question is, does the House of Representatives realize just how big of a mistake, and amount of trouble they are begging to get if by some tiny probability the Bill passes? We are not talking about people just going ''Awh, Okay...''

Hell will break loose. And who knows what Anonymous would do. Just for starters.

I will say that I have never been more disappointed with our Senators and Representatives than ever before. I guess it took until now to really show me who they report to. Neither of these bills are for the general interest of the public that they supposedly serve.