Man (or men) shoot and kill 14 in movietheater

Okay, is it just me or has Colorado gone to hell? First we get the big wildfires, then a pilot offs his ex-girlfriend and tries to steal a jet... then offs himself. Now a movie theater shooting in Aurora. *** is going on?!

This is more crap we can see and read about in the mainstream media. Why the hell do you feel the need to post here on a model building website? Another reason to have a sub forum titled "Bad News" so the likes of you can relish in posting things many of us wish to avoid. I'm sick of all the celebrity death notices, mistreatment of animals and people killing each other stories members are posting. And don't say 'just don't read the post' when you have top read the post title going thrue the topics. I'm done! Wallow in your misery.

Are you serious?

First of all, take some Valium and calm down.

And second of all, aren't you the one who was posting about a veretan who died? That isn't really the good news show either.

And some advice, in a few days, read your own post again and see if you can spot how it is totally out of proportion. If you can't, i advice you to do some angermanagement.

Are you serious?

And second of all, aren't you the one who was posting about a veretan who died? That isn't really the good news show either.

And some advice, in a few days, read your own post again and see if you can spot how it is totally out of proportion. If you can't, i advice you to do some angermanagement.

+1

Are you serious?

Agreed 100%. Self-proclaimed "forum police" need to find another website. The thread topic pretty much made clear what it was about. The guy could have just ignored it and focused on "happy" subjects. But no.......

Regarding this sad incident - Why are we so focused on Al-Qaeda? I have more to fear from heavily armed, wack-job Americans. Billions (trillions?) spent on the "Global War on Terror" but I still can't even go to a movie without running the risk of being shot.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this outrage.

No matter if posted here or not, say a prayer for all those involved in this heinous act of violence, I hope who ever did the shooting will die a slow death. I as a gun owner sometimes find it hard to fight with people that are anti guns when this type of violence happens, yet I will always fight for the right to bear arms, to many of our Military have died to protect this amendment.. Just remember here people lets non argue about posting here but like I said say a prayer for the families that have lost a loved one and the ones that where wounded heal and no other person dies. Thanks, Rob

Edited by 71roadrunner426

I actually get a lot of my news from sites like this. I refuse to look or watch actual news outlets as I don't think it's news at all. At least on a place like hear it's just facts and then everyone forms their own speculations.

Isn't Colorado where that first big school shooting was years ago? Perhaps I'm wrong. Seems there may be something in the water there.

Agreed 100%. Self-proclaimed "forum police" need to find another website. The thread topic pretty much made clear what it was about. The guy could have just ignored it and focused on "happy" subjects. But no.......

Regarding this sad incident - Why are we so focused on Al-Qaeda? I have more to fear from heavily armed, wack-job Americans. Billions (trillions?) spent on the "Global War on Terror" but I still can't even go to a movie without running the risk of being shot.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this outrage.

I recall a person's comment on an article about this incident. This individual said something to the effect that things like this happened long before the likes of Al-Qaeda ever entered into American vernacular. Back then some bad people as this person put it were simply that...bad people.

When it comes to terrorism; in any form, it may be impossible to stop all acts of violence. With foreign terrorist we can at least plant moles, intercept their phone and internet communications, or just blow them up. We can get a pretty good idea about what a foreign terrorist group may be planning and act to forestall an attack even before such an act gets beyond the planning stage. But when it comes to the lone nut who decides he fancies to kill as many as he can....how can anyone realistically prepare a defense against something such an attack when no one but the nut knows when a strike will happen?

Edited by Fellow Hobbyist

Prayers for the survivors and condolences for the families of those deceased.

As for whether or not it should be posted I'll leave that up to the powers that be. There is one thing to consider, when an event like this happens every news media agency is gonna lock on to it like a viper on a mouse. However when a veteran dies it rarely gets notice, it's not sensational enough to be newsworthy, ever after they put it all on the line to keep this nation as we know it. This isn't a news forum for any discussion of current events; though it is not forbidden either. There are some threads that discuss bad news and cast a foreboding shadow on what should be a pleasant visit and can be depressing. Whether or not they are read should be a decision of each individual member of ARC. I won't flame a guy for posting a thread in good faith, without any malicious intent.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

Isn't Colorado where that first big school shooting was years ago? Perhaps I'm wrong. Seems there may be something in the water there.

Are you serious? Stuff like this is a common American trait. It's what we do. We lead the world in stuff like this (USA! USA! USA!).

Just to school you a bit - I think the first "big school shooting" was when another wackjob climbed a tower at a college in Texas back in the 60's and used his fellow students for target practice. Virginia Tech was another one, many more out there. Not sure why you think CO is worse than the other 49 states. If you want, give me a few minutes and I'll get back to you with a list of mass killings in Ohio and then we can speculate if there is something in the water that you are drinking.

Good comment on gun laws as well. We've got the most lax gun laws of any developed nation, they definitely helped keep those movie goers safe last night.

Actually, the worst mass school killing in U.S. history took place here in Michigan in 1927..37 years to the day before I was born. It remains the third deadliest mass murder in U.S. history, behind 9/11 and Oklahoma City. The main reason it didn't get as much press as it might have was because Lindbergh's Atlantic Crossing grabbed the headlines three days later.

Bath School Massacre

Prayers for all the victims and their loved ones in Colorado. Sounds like this was a lone wackjob..amazing that they got him alive.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Are you serious? Stuff like this is a common American trait. It's what we do. We lead the world in stuff like this (USA! USA! USA!).

Just to school you a bit - I think the first "big school shooting" was when another wackjob climbed a tower at a college in Texas back in the 60's and used his fellow students for target practice. Virginia Tech was another one, many more out there. Not sure why you think CO is worse than the other 49 states. If you want, give me a few minutes and I'll get back to you with a list of mass killings in Ohio and then we can speculate if there is something in the water that you are drinking.

Good comment on gun laws as well. We've got the most lax gun laws of any developed nation, they definitely helped keep those movie goers safe last night.

That was actually meant as a reply to an earlier comment about what's going on in Colorado lately. But blow it out of proportions thats fine. I know all about historical shootings. I live 10 minutes from Kent St. albeit that was a different kind of shooting but still a shooting none the less.

By first big school shooting I meant the recent string of high school and college shootings. There seems to have been a rash of them lately all over.

Maybe my comment was poor taste Idk. But was generally just adding to the discussion.

Really a horrific event. Condolences and prayers to those families.

What Fellow Hobbyist stated is on the money. The only way to be prepared for something like this or the Luby restaurant massacre in Texas years ago, is to carry. Meaning conceal carry a weapon yourself. If someone, anyone at that theater carried, this lunatic would have been stopped before he killed and wounded so many people. After reading comments from several news sites, the anti-gunners are out in full force. Saying really ignorant things like all guns should be banned except for the military and authorities. Really? Then we would be living in a police state. Also, the criminals would still have guns. No, guns aren't the problem, the problem is people. The problem is accountability and responsibility. These qualities are lacking in our society today. It's always someones, somethings, or somebody else's fault. Excuse after excuse. I've also seen ignorant folks post that the 2nd amendment should be revoked. The second amendment guarantees that the people can dispose of a tyrannical government. That's it's purpose, along with personal and property protection. A responsible armed person, law abiding, is a citizen. An unarmed person is a subject to be subjugated. And, a criminal will always and forever, be nothing more than a criminal.

The crime committed last night has nothing to do with race, ethnicity, or religion. It has everything to do with a twisted, evil, human being. It had nothing to do with guns. Guns are nothing more than a tool. This person could have wielded a sword, or a bat. Gonna revoke those as well if either one of them were used? This individual also used explosives. Hold the person accountable and responsible for their actions. Prosecute to the fullest extent of the law. In Texas, this person would surely get the death sentence and it would be carried out. No need for him to sit in prison at taxpayer's expense for the next 50 years or so.

Again, my condolences and prayers to the families.

Are you serious?

+1

11bee "Good comment on gun laws as well. We've got the most lax gun laws of any developed nation, they definitely helped keep those movie goers safe last night. " ...i totally agree with you!

i think that most people who bring weapons conceal on them are most potent to do that kind of shooting... then do prevent or stop it... that's why most shooting occur... and why there's nearly never anyone to "stop" the shooting with another weapon (except police)

my condolences and prayers to the families.

Edited by mingwin

What's sad is that there are U.S. citizens that dislike their own country so much. Ones that stereotype their own neighbors because of a few twisted people and fail to see what actually makes this country great. Ones that think "Only in America" are there sicko insane people that would do anything to inflict harm on others with or WITHOUT guns. This sort of thing does sadly happen too often (once is too much). But I think this happens WAAAAAY more often in other parts of the world then here. Think of all of the suicide bombings that have been reported just in the last couple of months. But hey, it happened here so "it's what we do". I am truely saddened people feel this way.

Bill

My prayers are with the families impacted by this senseless act.

In Canada we have stricter gun laws. It doesn't seem to help as there have been several incidents similar to last nights shootings. If a criminal is intent on getting a gun to commit a crime they will regardless of the laws around gun control.

Mass shootings are not just a "USA Thing" ...

Jul 20, 10:53 AM (ET)

By The Associated Press

Some of world's worst mass shootings:

_- July 20, 2012: At least 12 people are killed when a gunman enters an Aurora, Colo., movie theater, releases a canister of gas and then opens fire during opening night of the Batman movie "The Dark Knight Rises."

- July 22, 2011: At least 80 people are killed at a summer camp on the Norwegian island of Utoya. A man arrested also is suspected in a blast earlier the same day in downtown Oslo that killed seven. Anders Behring Breivik, 33, has admitted to carrying out both attacks. He awaits sentencing on Aug. 24.

- Nov. 5, 2009: Thirteen soldiers and civilians were killed and more than two dozen wounded when a gunman walked into the Soldier Readiness Processing Center at Fort Hood, Texas, and opened fire. Army psychiatrist Maj. Nidal Hasan is charged with 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder.

- April 30, 2009: Farda Gadyrov, 29, enters the prestigious Azerbaijan State Oil Academy in the capital, Baku, armed with an automatic pistol and clips. He kills 12 people before killing himself as police close in.

- March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people - including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff's deputy - across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.

- Sept. 23, 2008: Matti Saari, 22, walks into a vocational college in Kauhajoki, Finland, and opens fire, killing 10 people and burning their bodies with firebombs before shooting himself fatally in the head.

- Nov. 7, 2007: After revealing plans for his attack in YouTube postings, 18-year-old Pekka-Eric Auvinen fires kills eight people at his high school in Tuusula, Finland.

- April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, kills 32 people and himself on Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va.

- April 26, 2002: Robert Steinhaeuser, 19, who had been expelled from school in Erfurt, Germany, kills 13 teachers, two former classmates and policeman, before committing suicide.

- April 20, 1999: Students Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, opened fire at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., killing 12 classmates and a teacher and wounding 26 others before killing themselves in the school's library.

- April 28, 1996: Martin Bryant, 29, bursts into cafeteria in seaside resort of Port Arthur in Tasmania, Australia, shooting 20 people to death. Driving away, he kills 15 others. He was captured and imprisoned.

- March 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, kills 16 kindergarten children and their teacher in elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and then kills himself.

- Oct. 16, 1991: A deadly shooting rampage took place in Killeen, Texas, as George Hennard opened fire at a Luby's Cafeteria, killing 23 people before taking his own life. 20 others were wounded in the attack.

- June 18, 1990: James Edward Pough shoots people at random in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 and wounding four, before killing himself.

- Dec. 6, 1989: Marc Lepine, 25, bursts into Montreal's Ecole Polytechnique college, shooting at women he encounters, killing nine and then himself.

- Aug. 19, 1987: Michael Ryan, 27, kills 16 people in small market town of Hungerford, England, and then shoots himself dead after being cornered by police.

- July 12, 1976: Edward Charles Allaway, a custodian in the library of California State University, Fullerton, fatally shot seven fellow employees and wounded two others.

- Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who was about to be fired, shoots 14 people at a post office in Edmond, Okla. He then kills himself.

- July 18, 1984: James Oliver Huberty, an out-of-work security guard, kills 21 people in a McDonald's restaurant in San Ysidro, Calif. A police sharpshooter kills Huberty.

- Aug. 1, 1966: Charles Whitman opened fire from the clock tower at the University of Texas at Austin, killing 16 people and wounding 31.

-Gregg

The shooter is reported to have tossed a canister of CS gas and was wearing body armor. Therefor, unlikely any armed person could have stopped him from the get-go, including police had one been sitting in the theater. Even the cops couldn't get in when they finally got there until they received gas masks. Having been a strong advocate and student of self-defense for 25+ years, there's little anyone or any law could have done to prevent this. The perpetrator was smart, determined, and well-planned. The bottom line is, though horrible and tragic, this is an isolated and very rare event.

You don't protect people by robbing them of their means of protection.

This one (- March 13, 1996: Thomas Hamilton, 43, kills 16 kindergarten children and their teacher in elementary school in Dunblane, Scotland, and then kills himself.) happened and is very much in my families minds as my first second daughter had just been born and my wife decided that she was going to home-school our children. If this could happen in the UK, who knows what could happen...

You know those Brits are so 'even keeled'. (I do realize this happened in Scotland, was meant as a joke).

Seriously, I think our 2nd amendment is something we need to keep and support. Idiots will always be idiots and we just need to prosecute them as appropriate. I agree with Big Texan on this. And no, I am not currently a gun owner.

Edited by IrishGreek

Flyingfortess, lighten up francis! You see the thread title, if you dont like it, then dont read it!!!!!!!

11bee, you are not much better! You blew Hamm's comment WAY out of proportion! He was reffering to columbine, as it it happened to be in CO as well, that's all, dont read too much into it.

As far as the incedent itself, obviously this is no good, condolences to the victims and their family's. I'll never understand why people do these things.

The only way to be prepared for something like this or the Luby restaurant massacre in Texas years ago, is to carry. Meaning conceal carry a weapon yourself.

While I generally agree with most of your other comments about responsibility, the idea of a person carrying a concealed weapon in a movie theater and trying to respond to last night's tragedy is a bit shaky. You've got a dark theater, hundreds of people, and a crazy guy suddenly breaks in through a fire door and sets off a gas grenade, and then in the confusion starts randomly shooting people with an assault rifle. So an armed civilian is then going to have to make their way through this mayhem of panicking people and attempt to shoot this guy? Sounds like a recipe for more problems. The person with the concealed weapon would have to get pretty close and they would have to know what they were doing. Also, they are putting themselves in quite some risk legally, especially if things don't work out. Rambo may need a lawyer....

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)