Where do you draw the line?

Where do you draw the line as far as cost for a kit?

If there is a nice kit in a subject you want, is it cost is no object, or have you chosen a hard line and said I will not pay more than this?

I'm talking about just the price of the kit, not aftermarket upgrades, decals, etc.

For me, it depends on the subject. If it's something I really like then the price naturally goes up. For example, the F-4 is a favorite aircraft, so if Eduard released a new tool kit of the F-4G (to the standard of their new Bf-110 or their MiG-21s) I'd probably pay upwards of $50 for it in 1/72 scale and $100 in 1/48 scale.

For a less compelling aircraft my limits might be $30 and $50 for a model in the above scales.

Steven Brown

Scale Model Soup

I agree with the "it depends on the subject" sentiment, but it looks like my limits are a tad lower.

Fpr those highly desired but still too expensive, I practice patience. I managed to get Eduard's 1/48 MiG-29A on sale under $50 from Squadron. And, assuming the deal goes well, I'll get Tamiya's 1/48 Mossie for a good price too. I'd love Tamiya's 1/48 Lancaster--it looks like I may need to be very patient for that one...

I agree with Jennings to a degree. That said, for me it really depends on the subject matter. I don't have a ton of other hobbies so it gives me a little more flexibility with what I can spend. I try to give myself a monthly budget and plan accordingly. For other folks, it also might depend on the circumstances in any given persons life. Things may be fine but if you lose your job or someone in your family becomes ill it changes everything.

I agree with the "it depends on the subject" sentiment, but it looks like my limits are a tad lower.

Fpr those highly desired but still too expensive, I practice patience. I managed to get Eduard's 1/48 MiG-29A on sale under $50 from Squadron. And, assuming the deal goes well, I'll get Tamiya's 1/48 Mossie for a good price too. I'd love Tamiya's 1/48 Lancaster--it looks like I may need to be very patient for that one...

I am with David, no matter how much I like the subject I will wait for it come down in price. I am always fansinated that modelers jump like wildfire at new releases and pay top dollar. I have always ended up paying for the same kit a year or two down the road for pennies on the dollar. A good example is the Italeri 1/35 P.T. Boat, always wanted one in 35th scale, I found one for less than $50.00, the kit is over a $100.00 retail.

For me its a hobby, and still don't understand why a basic 1/48 scale aircraft model kit retails more then $40.00 their is no reason for it, especially when the item is coming out of China under any lable.

Robert

As said that line varies from individual to individual. Personally that line can move up or down for me, it depends on the kit and how much extra I have stashed in my wallet at the time. :whistle:

Its a matter of personal priorities. Its not surprising to hear some who complain about the cost of say attending a Nats, yet they spend as much in a year on kits and such that they add to their stash just to sit for decades untouched? :blink:

It really depends on how interested I am in the subject. Given my tastes are very much removed from the mainstream, kits that do appeal to me are few and far between, and are usually out of production - there hasn't been a new release that's piqued my interest in a long time. Ebay and other sources are where the bulk of my kits come from, and patience is the key to getting a good deal. The most I've paid for a kit is $250......if the subject and scale are right, I'll pony up the cash.

I found a Hasegawa B-24 Liberator on a domestic e-shop. It retailed at US128, and i even seriously considered getting it. I did however make up my mind and did not go ahead with the purchase because of the pricetag. I bought it from spruebrothers instead for US72, but still the import fee will raise the actaul cost of the kit to around US100. But when making international orders, i tend to place bigger orders. Other items i am looking to get a few of are the planet models resin kits. Specially the Avro manchester(US150) But the JU-390V-1 variant(US300) i reckon i will not be getting. But as these are rare and resin (wich i don`t build many of, it`s sortof ok) But that would have to be a special dedicated order just for that kit. Thankfully i build 1:72 so the MSRP of plastic kits are relatively overcoming. When i see what i pay for aftermarket parts though...well enough said.

Im one of those usually paying bills week to week so i go for the best deal I can get. I've only bought one kit at retail from my LHS in the last two years. Ive bought some kits on online stores at their prices but they're usually much lower than my LHS.

That said there's many many models well over 100$ that I really want and eventually plan to get whenever I can find them for a few dollars off. I really want to get a fine molds 1/72 millenium falcon but haven't taken the plunge with the cost yet.

I would say for an average subject, I tend to go by the 20, 50, 100 criteria for a kit price. If it is a 1/72 model, I try not to spend more than $20 on it ($30 might be the extreme upper limit if it is a jet model as opposed to a WW2 fighter). If it is 1/48 (or a big 1/72 model such as a bomber) than $50 is my typical limit. For 1/32... $100 at the most. Now there are exceptions to these obviously as if it is a subject I am very interested in, I will spend the money to get it if I want to (and I have in the past). But this pricing structure has kept me happy most of the time.

I don't like to get aftermarket resin or photoetch very often, but I have gotten it every once in awhile and only to add to the kit detailing as opposed to replacing a basic huge flaw (one reason I don't like getting expensive Trumpeter kits). If I am paying over $50 for a 1/48 subject, then the parts in it had BETTER already be good quality and I work with what I get in the box as opposed to throwing more money at the problem. I typically don't worry about the cost of aftermarket decals if I get them since they are usually still pretty inexpensive compared to some other stuff (and easy to store or use on other kits down the road).

Edited by Jay Chladek