Curious how people view opened panels and engines

Everything closed, all buttoned-up. That includes canopies and landing gear doors. :thumbsup: Planes belong in the air! :woo:

Regarding kits coming with opened panels out of the box, I wonder whether it would be possible to mould the kits with the panels closed and with a line scored on the inside showing precisely where to cut (as on some kits with wing-fold options). You'd still get a separate part for the open panel, but would have to cut the hole yourself. What's inside that panel would have to be a separate part as well, of course.

Models with a full load of live ordnance with every panel open, radar pulled out, etc look silly IMHO. Never *ever* seen in real life.

Never ever....mmm sorry but not quite.

Do you really think an aircraft would be disarmed and unloaded to change a box in an avionics bay?

Agree that engines out etc with weapons etc is over the top.

Build em how you want em if you have ever been around aeroplanes you will know almost anything goes and normally does to get the job done.

Aircraft parked with radomes open or flaps down are a frequent sight at airports having line maintenance done on them...

I also give a vote for closed panels. I agree that it is neat to see those glimpses of engines or radars that may or may not be accurate. But to me everything looks so much better closed up and ready to fly. I am torn on the canopy being opened though. You generally put so much work into the seat, seatbelts, and instruments that it is a shame to cover it up. Not to mention when one spends the same amount of money on a resin cockpit as the entire model costs!!

Chris

This has been a 'pet peeve' of mine for such a loooooong time... Keep 'em closed up. Having everything opened up destroys the 'clean' lines of the a/c. Plus when there's a full load-out on the pylons it just looks silly. NEVER would this happen in real-life, It'd be a serious safty issue...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Matt

So armed aircraft NEVER have open access panels, you say?

e9af4cdb-e290-4adc-9bbe-8947a90621e7.Large.jpg

:whistle:

Vince

Well, everything closed for me... I like to see the shape of the aircraft, so no alterations such a open canopy, or panels for me. I don't like to use pilot figures so landing gear down is a must, so, apart of that nothing else. As I finish my aircraft "on the ground" (and again, no pilot figure), no airbrakes open (I've seen of aircraft w/o pilot and open airbrakes though). If I decide to build another one of the same plane (with different markings of course), then I could think about opening something to make it look "different" than the first one I built, like my in-project 1/72 He-111H-6 (from Italeri), it is the third one I build so open engine panels (port engine) for this one. Best regards.

José.

Never ever....mmm sorry but not quite.

Do you really think an aircraft would be disarmed and unloaded to change a box in an avionics bay?

Agree that engines out etc with weapons etc is over the top.

Build em how you want em if you have ever been around aeroplanes you will know almost anything goes and normally does to get the job done.

Aircraft parked with radomes open or flaps down are a frequent sight at airports having line maintenance done on them...

Under normal circumstances, yes. In an emergency, anything is possible but the norm would be to down the jet, and send a spare. It's a safety issue more than anything. Playing around with avionics and circuitry on something that uses circuitry and electricity to launch/drop weapons can lead to Bad Things Happening.

Under normal circumstances, yes. In an emergency, anything is possible but the norm would be to down the jet, and send a spare. It's a safety issue more than anything. Playing around with avionics and circuitry on something that uses circuitry and electricity to launch/drop weapons can lead to Bad Things Happening.

You disconnect tghe umbilicals and make the A/C safe for maintenance. You don't need to D/L all the munitioms unless the Tech Manual calls for it.

You disconnect tghe umbilicals and make the A/C safe for maintenance. You don't need to D/L all the munitioms unless the Tech Manual calls for it.

Navy does things a bit differently than AF. We don't normally leave stuff, other than external tanks, loaded over night or pull armed A/C into hangars, either. But as my experience is with the test community directly, and fleet guys indirectly, I don't have much more detail than that.

Navy does things a bit differently than AF. We don't normally leave stuff, other than external tanks, loaded over night or pull armed A/C into hangars, either. But as my experience is with the test community directly, and fleet guys indirectly, I don't have much more detail than that.

Not in the hangar!!!!! Out on the line I was Talking about. when we (AF) put a jet in the hangar the only explosives are in the egress system and TP cannon ammo. Unless its for phase than that gets downloaded as well.

But out on the line, for a simple repair, you just safe the munitions and carry on.

Closed. While I admire the work of those who detail open radomes and panels, I think it detracts from the lines of the aircraft. If there were a convincing way of displaying a model in flight (other than hanging on string, stuck on a stick or clear rod jammed up its exhaust), I would even prefer to build with gears up, as I think airplanes are the most beautiful doing what they're supposed to do -- fly. I remember a long time ago a toy flying saucer that could be suspended in mid air using some sort of magnetic principle. Anybody else remember that? Now, that would be a cool way to display aircraft.

Revell had a line of 1/144 aircraft that used magnets to levitate. Unfortunately strings where needed to keep the aircraft centred above the baseplate/magnet, so it was not the perfect solution.

While I can understand the "clean look" argument, I think, if there are five other Bf 109's in the builders collection, or on the show table, the one that is completely opened up will stand out, and educate the viewer on what´s beneath all those streamlined panels while those that are buttoned up will show the clean lines of the aircraft.

never say never. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USN-Vought-A-7-Corsair-VA-72-Blue-Hawks-CV-66-1986-8x12-Aircraft-Photos-/271059602787

and another: http://www.airshowaction.com/nimitz/112.jpg

another: http://www.airshowaction.com/nimitz/050.jpg

(although this Black Aces panels are just popped and not totally opened so this may be disqualified)

The point is, it can and does happen.

I personally prefer opened on MOST planes if it's done well since it gives the plane a bit of realistic "caught in a moment" look. Unless the plane is in the air or in taxi, it's just sitting there and there is no implied action. At least open panels give an implied action to an otherwise static model. Of course there are cases where I prefer the

clean lines of the aircraft...but usually not.

Bill

Edited by niart17