Smart Generals - Major Mistakes

The two Army generals that accomplished the most in the current fights both seem to have gone down in flames due to massive errors in judgement. Honestly, I just don't understand how guys of the caliber of McCrystal and Petraeus could make such minor league errors in judgement. Really disappointing. I actually had some hope that Petraeus might decide to run for higher office one day. Most US field grade commanders over the last few decades have pretty much come across as nothing more than mediocre suits, who rose through the system due to politics and playing it safe.

These two were rock stars and yet they both flushed it all due to stupid mistakes.

Just don't get it.....

So, let me get this straight: the Director of the f***ing CIA – the agency we have around in order to do secret s**t – had to resign after he was found out because he was dumb enough to do stuff he really wanted to keep secret on f***ing GMail, and it got hacked?

Man oh man... does not sound so smart, I gotta tell ya.

Edited by Antonov

So, let me get this straight: the Director of the f***ing CIA – the agency we have around in order to do secret s**t – had to resign after he was found out because he was dumb enough to do stuff he really wanted to keep secret on f***ing GMail, and it got hacked.

Man oh man…

Don't read much into it since whatever is being reported is only part of the story.

The two Army generals that accomplished the most in the current fights both seem to have gone down in flames due to massive errors in judgement. Honestly, I just don't understand how guys of the caliber of McCrystal and Petraeus could make such minor league errors in judgement. Really disappointing. I actually had some hope that Petraeus might decide to run for higher office one day. Most US field grade commanders over the last few decades have pretty much come across as nothing more than mediocre suits, who rose through the system due to politics and playing it safe.

These two were rock stars and yet they both flushed it all due to stupid mistakes.

Just don't get it.....

I get it Paula is kind of hot!

People wonder why I got out of the Air Force after 4 years. Idiots with stars on their shoulders (and not a few with crows on their shoulders). Not all, to be sure, but a large percentage in my experience.

Not to seem approving of extra marital affairs, of which I certainly do not, but I just can't grasp that aspect of human nature that likes a good scandal.

So some hypocritical woman writes a tell all of how she was involved in the "Fall from grace" of a guy in a high place and she makes a fortune and gets all kinds of press attention. WHY?!

It takes two to tango as the saying goes. There should certainly be no rewards involved for those involved in marital infidelity, but neither should there be any accolades for those who are their accomplices.

:D, As it's been said ever since newspapers were invented; no news is good news and if it is good news it isn't newsworthy. Let's face it, it's part of our human nature. That's why I now longer buy the papers. I was talking to another pilot at the aero club last week and he is of the same opinion as me. He no longer wastes money on the papers and he's the happier for it. If no one was interested enough to buy this woman's book she wouldn't be making a small fortune out of it and no one would care. I'm not excusing Gen. Patreus. What he has done is definitely wrong and he has brought himself down.

:cheers:,

Ross.

I'm not excusing Gen. Patreus. What he has done is definitely wrong and he has brought himself down.

Definitely no excuses for the man, but the woman he did it with shouldn't come out smelling like a rose as if she bore no responsibility in the matter. She should be going down in flames of public ridicule right alongside him.

Sure, he could have said "No". By the same token, she could have shown respect for the fact he was married.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

Not to seem approving of extra marital affairs, of which I certainly do not, but I just can't grasp that aspect of human nature that likes a good scandal.

So some hypocritical woman writes a tell all of how she was involved in the "Fall from grace" of a guy in a high place and she makes a fortune and gets all kinds of press attention. WHY?!

It takes two to tango as the saying goes. There should certainly be no rewards involved for those involved in marital infidelity, but neither should there be any accolades for those who are their accomplices.

The way I understand it, she wrote a biography about the General and worked "closely" with him ... I don't think the book she wrote is the scandal but what happened during "research" for the book ...

-Gregg

Gen. Petraeus hasn't done anything that has not been done before. His indiscretion just happens to be at a time when public figures are unable to keep dirty little secrets away from the public, and especially the media. One of the greatest military leaders and later president (Dwight D. Eisenhower) was rumored to have had an affair with his personal driver; however at that time the press held such folks in very high regard and wouldn't think of disgracing him by reporting it, unless it was so blatantly done it would have been a disservice not to do so. In days past that nasty subject P-o-l-i-t-i-c-s concerning the action of gov'ts had to do with what was reported and what was not.

With all that said, he is still guilty of infidelity and as others have said has no reasonable excuse, his career and legacy has taken a lethal hit which prior to this was close to bulletproof.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

The two Army generals that accomplished the most in the current fights both seem to have gone down in flames due to massive errors in political judgement.

Fixed it for ya there. Its good thing both of these highly regarded fighting men are on their way out, leaves room for a couple of inexperienced, system friendly, yes men to take their place. Hopefully they will be better politicians than generals, because these last two were really lacking in that respect.

What does it tell you when the "fighting generals" are being tossed out? discuss.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Just remember this all has absolutely nothing to do with a certain attack/film critic review in North Africa, where the director of the CIA (who is a possible 2016 candidate) threw the state department (and possible future presidential candidate) and administration under the bus, during an election year, on an issue that has, as more information has come out, looked a tad bit like a cover up... as the the senate begins to investigate.

We caught the one guy in Washington having an affair, and we can all stop looking again. nothing to see here.

probably a coincidence. I don't forgive the guy, he screwed up. But what amazing timing, amiright? only 2 days after the election? WOW!

yeah its the first time ever an affair happened on a Weds and the guy decided to step down the next day...

Edited by zerosystem

Fixed it for ya there. Its good thing both of these highly regarded fighting men are on their way out, leaves room for a couple of inexperienced, system friendly, yes men to take their place. Hopefully they will be better politicians than generals, because these last two were really lacking in that respect.

What does it tell you when the "fighting generals" are being tossed out? discuss.

payoff for those that ensured that military ballots didn't make it to their destinations in time? a spot for them all to move into?

Don't read much into it since whatever is being reported is only part of the story.

Of what's being reported so far, it's the most troubling part.

OK, so Petraeus got his d**k wet someplace he shouldn't. Big whoop. Sucks if you're his wife; basically irrelevant otherwise.

The fact that the Director of the CIA doesn't know enough about how to keep important s**t secret that he got caught in a career-ending scandal because he conducted incriminating business over an insecure GMail account is a very bad sign indeed.

Ironically, the biography about Petraeus written by the woman whom he had the affair with is titled "All In" ... :coolio:

-Gregg

Maybe I shouldn't find that as amusing as I do, but it is actually pretty funny. :D

Another article I read said that she had "unprecedented access" to Patraeus while writing the book.

They weren't kidding.

Just what exactly was the FBI doing in Petraeus' personal email account? :blink:

It's no big secret the FBI and CIA aren't the best of friends. Been that way since the days of J.Edgar Hoover.

That aside, the FBI were investigating a cyber security breach that involved several computers, Patraeus among them and came across the information while reviewing his hard drive apparently.

You'd think the head of the CIA could afford his own computer to use for his sorted affair, but hey, what do I know.