Su-30SM - New Russian Flanker

My conversion of the 1/72nd Trumpeter Su-30MKK into a RusAF Su-30SM is finished.... the build thread is here.

Su-30sm_024.JPG

The conversion involved adding canards and their mounting shoulders, making bigger rudders and scratching a pair of Thrust Vector Control (TVC) nozzles.....

Su-30sm_025.JPG

The model is finished in the new RusAF dark grey colour scheme - the decals are from a one-off sheet by Begemot which is not comercially available yet (thanks Andrey) :thumbsup:/>/>

Su-30sm_026.JPG

Undersides...

Su-30sm_027.JPG

Su-30sm_028.JPG

Su-30sm_029.JPG

Su-30sm_030.JPG

Note the extended chord rudders and TVC nozzles.....

Su-30sm_031.JPG

Su-30sm_032.JPG

Now, what's next..... a J-15??

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

One question though - it seems that you've positioned the exhausts asymetrical - aren't they supposed to be symetrical pointing down and inwards?

ken fantastic!! only please reposition pitot tube, ir looks to much down

What is this ??? - Modelling by committee ???? :woot.gif:/>/>

Seriously though - thanks to you guys for keeping me on the straight and narrow :thumbsup:/>/>

I didn't notice the pitot - it is now corrected.

As for the TVC nozzles - I can only blame old age - I got them completely wrong - I am rapidly losing the plot :bandhead2:/>/>

I snapped tham off and re-glued them at the correct angle......

Su-30sm_033.JPG

Su-30sm_034.JPG

I also tried to get a close-up of the Holographic HUD and the Blind Flying Curtain and rail - but the light reflection doesn't help.....

Su-30sm_035.JPG

(and before you ask - no I didn't remove the mould line from the canopy!!)

Ken

Flankerman, another great build.

Is there another flanker decal sheet coming from begemot?. (You don't have to say anything if you are worried about being poked with a Radioactive isotope tipped umbrella).

The Su-30SM decals that Kotey very kindly sent me ( :worship: ) were cutoffs from some sheets that Begemot supplied to Sukhoi for desktop models.

But I think they are planning a new sheet of '2013 Flankers' - but not immediately - and please don't quote me.

I'd love to seem some decals for the Malaysian Su-30MKM with the brightly painted fins as seen at LIMA - but that would mean another canard/TVC/rudders conversion.

Ken

Flankerman, awesome build :jaw-dropping:/Just a quick question- will the nose wheel need to be lowered on these flankers the same way you did the Su 27 (old version). The MKM and the MKI that you had built looked spot on- the way the nose drooped. But the trumpeter nose just doesn't seem to droop enough when viewed from the side. I am making the Trumpeter 1/72 Su 27UB and thought of asking..

Flankerman, awesome build :jaw-dropping:/>/>/Just a quick question- will the nose wheel need to be lowered on these flankers the same way you did the Su 27 (old version). The MKM and the MKI that you had built looked spot on- the way the nose drooped. But the trumpeter nose just doesn't seem to droop enough when viewed from the side. I am making the Trumpeter 1/72 Su 27UB and thought of asking..

The MKM & MKI were built using the Heller Su-27UB kits.

The reason for lowering the leg on the Trumpeter Su-27 (Early) build was because I had grafted the Airfix three-hole wheel onto the Trumpeter leg - and made it too tall, thus altering the 'sit' of the nose.

I then had to cut it off and re-attach it to lower the nose.

Incorrect 'sit'.....

Su-27%20032.JPG

... corrected by re-attaching the wheel...

Su-27%20033.JPG

I haven't noticed that a 'standard' Trumpeter J-11B/Su-27UB/Su-30MKK has much less droop - maybe a tad, but not much.

I'll take a photo of the Trumpeter Su-30MKK vs the Heller Su-30MKI conversion and get back to you.....

Ken

'ere ya go madcaprahin.......

Heller (converted) Su-30MKI compared to Trumpeter Su-30K (converted - essentially the Trumpeter Su-27UB)

droop 001.JPG

You are correct the Trumpeter 'droop' is less than the Heller one.

Here's the Heller Su-30MKi compared to the Trumpeter Su-30MKK.....

droop 002.JPG

There isn't much in it - but I think the Trumpeter kits would benefit from shortening the noseleg by a mm or so.....

FWIW, here's the Trumpeter single-seat J-11B compared to a photo of the real Su-27....

droop 003.JPG

day_02_09.jpg

... and a Su-27UB for good measure....

day_02_42.jpg

I'll leave you to make your own mind up....

Ken

Very nice as always Ken - so how many Flankers is that now?

Agree with the others though, shame to see the Russians going over to single grey schemes :(

'ere ya go madcaprahin.......

Heller (converted) Su-30MKI compared to Trumpeter Su-30K (converted - essentially the Trumpeter Su-27UB)

droop 001.JPG

You are correct the Trumpeter 'droop' is less than the Heller one.

Here's the Heller Su-30MKi compared to the Trumpeter Su-30MKK.....

droop 002.JPG

There isn't much in it - but I think the Trumpeter kits would benefit from shortening the noseleg by a mm or so.....

FWIW, here's the Trumpeter single-seat J-11B compared to a photo of the real Su-27....

droop 003.JPG

day_02_09.jpg

... and a Su-27UB for good measure....

day_02_42.jpg

I'll leave you to make your own mind up....

Ken

Dear Ken,

I was losing a bit of sleep on my end. Thanks a lot for clearing that up!! ^_^/>

Thank you for taking time out to take the comparison shots. That droop gets a bit more evident when you view it from the front three quarters but I won't lose my sleep over it too much now.

These photos get saved to my hard disk for reference. :D/> I think I will shorten the nose leg a small bit. Will get back with the pics once I am done.

Just borrowing the term: "Happy Flankering to you too!!" :worship:/>

Nihar

Hi Ken

Firstly, another spectacular flanker; you do an amazing job of building my favourite fighter.

Now I apologise for hijacking your display case a bit, but your photos show up what I think is an error in shape in the kit (specifically the two seater, I like the single seater version a lot)that I spotted as soon I saw it.

To me, the issue is with the canopy; it is much too large and bulbous towards the rear, with an overly large cross section over the area where the backseater sits. Essentially, the 'bulge' of the canopy, by way of the cross section, needs to come further forward towards the windshield. I hope that makes sense? I think the Heller kit better capture this aspect, excpet for the small windshield. Anybody agree? Am I being silly?

I also think the 'hump' on the turtledeck behind the canopy is too pronounced on this kit.

Again, great build and I apologise for pointing it out here.

Edited by dryguy

I agree, dryguy, the Trumpeter Su-27UB outline shape is a bit suspect.....

I've taken a couple more photos - of the J11B vs a real Su-27 plus my Su-30K vs a real Su-27Ub to better illustrate the shapes......

sideview both_01.JPG

sideview both_02.JPG

If someone can tell me, step-by-step - how to superimpose one image on top of another - to make a better comparison, I'll have a go.

I have Paintshop Pro.

I've done it before - but I can't remember how I did it.. :doh:

Ken

Edited by Flankerman
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hello all i would like to add my 2 cents worth regarding the trumpy models comparing the side profile models to the pics and the things that stand out to me are:

1. on both single and two seater the main wheels are to big in diameter in the model which probably means the main gear legs are to short when you use correct sized wheels

2. on the single seater the spine appears to take to long to curve down towards the tail from behind the antenna (curve should be sharper for more of a straight line toward tail)

3. on the single seater the filled part at the back of the cockpit canopy appears to small

4. on the single seater the top of the tail is to flat it should be higher at the front compared to the rear

5. on both single and two seaters the exhaust is to horizontal and should point down at the back

6. on both single and two seat models the booms that the elevators are attached appear to be to deep in the area from front of elevators to in front of the main landing gear, look carefully at the landing gear door angles and also the front 3rd of the lower vertical fins (mental block cant think of the name for them), the trumpy angles are completely off in this area

7. the nose gear bays are either too short or they are to wide as the nose gear doors are just way to deep for there length

anyway these are the first things i have notice without really looking to hard

mrmavx

Edited by mrmavx