Revell skyraider Ad5 1/48

The original MatchBox (now Revell) kit includes a rather primitive looking interior that has consoles and seating for what looks like an aircraft assigned to perform one of the VAQ squadron missions. Cobra Company offers a very nice resin cockpit replacement for the A-1E/F/G (AD-5) if you are interested. Details can be seen at this link: ------> 1:48th Scale A-1E/AD Skyraider Cockpit Detail Set (Catalog Number 48010)

The original MatchBox (now Revell) kit includes a rather primitive looking interior that has consoles and seating for what looks like an aircraft assigned to perform one of the VAQ squadron missions. Cobra Company offers a very nice resin cockpit replacement for the A-1E/F/G (AD-5) if you are interested. Details can be seen at this link: ------> 1:48th Scale A-1E/AD Skyraider Cockpit Detail Set (Catalog Number 48010)

Thanks for the tip. If that's the only problem with the kit, then it's back on my list! (along with the Cobra interior)

Mike

Wait a bit longer and one of the new manufactures will surely get to it judging from the speed new subjects are hitting the market.......If you can't ..I think it will be possible to mix and match with the tamiya offering....

Rgds

Mr b

The interior isn't the only issue with the kit. It's basically just an old kit with not a lot of detail by today's standards. It's main appeal is that it exists, not that it's a good kit. It's somewhat like the Revell 1/48 MiG-25 kit in that regard (although it sounds like finally someone is doing a new tool kit). Here's a look at the old Matchbox kit.

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/korean/previews/matchbox/pk651.htm

Presumably, the Revell repop will be in one color plastic.

Thanks for the tip. If that's the only problem with the kit, then it's back on my list! (along with the Cobra interior)

Mike, there are always going to be problems with a kit. The question is how much money and effort are you are willing to expend to achieve your goal?

The parts provided in the kit that are supposed to represent the stores pylons are also in need of replacement. Two choices are currently available at the moment:

True Details 48531 Resin 1:48th scale A-1 Skyraider Weapons Pylon Set

Quick Boost 48537 Resin 1:48th scale A-1 Skyraider Pylons (for Tamiya kit)

If you want to browse the other "Skyraider" parts you can do so by opening either of these two links:

search results for :48 Skyraider at Sprue Brothers

search results for :48 Skyraider at Squadron

Some of these replacement and upgrade items are obviously not intended for the MatchBox (Revell) kit.

Edited by jeffryfontaine

Thanks guys for the info. I understand that no kit is perfect, and I have a LOT of tolerance for kits that lack detail or the refinements of the latest molding technology (e.g. raised panel lines do not bother me, and nor do the Matchbox trenches, as both can be dealt with easily). Most of the builds I do are straight OOB.

Where I draw the line is when a kit is known to have huge shape errors; I'm not talking about slight curvature issues on an engine nacelle that only true experts would notice, but rather things like what happened with the Hobby Boss F-80.

So long as this AD-5 is basically free of those sorts of errors, I'll add one to the stash.

:cheers:

Mike

I will add A revell one and stock up up on the upgrades,cockpit etc.I sold my Matchbox one years ago to a Company that was working on a cockpit may have been Cobra.Don't remember now.I need a AD-5 for my ongoing VietNam warplanes builds.

Edited by F4DPhantomII

your better off doing the kit bash with a tamiya kit.

C&H resin fuselage and the tamiya kit isn't going to be a cheap combo.

$60 for the resin fuselage plus the tam kit. im ok

and on another note, the kit canopy is extremely thick. i think squadron still makes the vac canopy, if that bothers you though.....

Edited by randypandy831

because you probably won't get it if you order it... <_</>/>

Some time ago I ordered the conversion kit for RF-101C from C & H Aero. I live in France and two weeks later the conversion kit was in my mailbox. Bad surprise by opening the box: vrong canopies (F-102B canopies in the box). I sent an email to C & H, the next day I had an answer and two weeks later the right canopies for the RF-101C were in my mailbox. In my case, I have nothing to blame C & H

your better off doing the kit bash with a tamiya kit.

C&H resin fuselage and the tamiya kit isn't going to be a cheap combo.

$60 for the resin fuselage plus the tam kit. im ok

The C & H conversion kit for the A-1E seems expensive but remember that it included the Cobra Company Resin cockpit who already cost $ 23 plus shipping if you order from Cobra

Cheers

The C & H conversion kit for the A-1E seems expensive but remember that it included the Cobra Company Resin cockpit who already cost $ 23 plus shipping if you order from Cobra

Cheers

Honestly, that cost seems pretty reasonable, especially when you consider that it includes the CC resin interior. Didn't even know there was a conversion out there, does anyone have details on the quality of the C&H set and/or links to built up models?

John

The price for that is just a bit too much for me. I've seen the Revell AD-5 available for pre-order at $25; the Cobra interior is $23.

The Tamiya A-1H can be had for just under $28, but with with the C&H conversion at $65, the final cost is about double (pushing $100 instead of close to $50). Plus, decals need to be sourced, so that adds another $10 to $20.

To each their own, of course, but as I said earlier, things like fine recessed panel lines you get with Tamiya aren't a game-changer for me.

I will say, in defense of C&H, that I have their RF-80 conversion and it's very nice. It's cast very well. I ordered it within the past year and the transaction was smooth.

:cheers:

Mike