Italeri 1/32 Starfighter

You're kidding right??? He compared the surface texture to the Kinetic Sabre, where's the slag? If you know what the surface texture is like on the Kinetic Sabre, then you'll know it's rough. Secondly, I applaud Gary for letting us know what the kit is really like, first hand. You will have peeps applauding Italeri's efforts, because they support Italeri, but I like the fact that Gary is calling like it is..over priced for not alot in the box.

Happy Modelling

Brad

That's why I dearly love this website. For the last month or two there have been dozens of posts that describe in detail the shortfalls of this kit. Then someone spends $130 (which as you mentioned was much more than if they had done some homework and purchased elsewhere) and then puts out a post whining about the kit and regurgitating a bunch of info that was already well known! To add to the fun, he then slags a manufacturer (who's been a pretty positive presence on these forums) who had nothing at all to do with the kit.

Classic :)/>

Then someone spends $130 (which as you mentioned was much more than if they had done some homework and purchased elsewhere) and then puts out a post whining about the kit and regurgitating a bunch of info that was already well known!

The Italeri 1/32 F-104 is a highly anticipated kit. It is also rather pricey (in North America) and has some mixed reviews. Sure, there has been a couple of reviews of the kit already, but it doesn't hurt to hear a second/third/fourth opinion that helps fellow modelers with making a go/no go decision. More reviews and opinions from different people with different perspectives simply helps the community - as you said "That's why I dearly love this website".

Terry

To add to the fun, he then slags a manufacturer (who's been a pretty positive presence on these forums) who had nothing at all to do with the kit.

Classic :)/>

He didn't say anything about Kinetic. I did.

And it wasn't a 'slag' at all. It was an example that I used as a reference point for the surface description. The F-86 kit has a surface texture to it. So does Airfix's Vampire, so does Revell's F-104, and others. I could have picked any of those. Not a slag.

You knew that the kit had some errors before you bought it. There where a lot of pictures online. It is not that bad!!! Are you guys be model builders or not? It is much more work to rescribe the entire Hasegawa model instead of fixing some errors at the Italeri kit!!!

The quality of the wings and other parts are really really good. Only the panel lines on the main fusalage are a bit soft and deep. Just sand them down a bit and you will have a better model! And I don´t care about the bad cockpit, tyres or PE parts. Just wait a while and Eduard, Aires, AMS Resin and co will give you some outstanding aftermarket sets!!!

I still have all CMK goodies and I will try to fit them into my Italeri model. The perfect model doesn´t excist. If Tamiya would release a Starfighter in 1/32, you will pay much more then 130 USD. And it is no guarantee that this model will have no errors.

For me, I can´t wait to start my F-104. I will make my dream German MARINE Starfighter out of this kit. Hopefully Italeri will release a double seater as well!

Last thing, I paid just 60 Euros, thats around 82 USD!!! If you wait a while, you will get the kit for less then 100 USD...

Just my 2 cents

Typically I am like you, I don't slag manufacturers for making kits. I challenge you to find a single post that I have made where I slagged a new release.

I was hopeful that the surface detail of the kit was better than what I saw on the net, it is always different in person and this one certainly was (in the wrong direction).

Since you are comparing to US dollars, I paid $120 US from a local shop. I have not seen the kit priced cheaper anywhere. I didn't have to pay shipping for this kit. I'd like to know where you purchased it for $80.00 US.

As well, if Tamiya were to release this kit I would be willing to bet it would be in the $100-$120 range. The same shop I purchased this kit in had 1/32 Tamiya F-16s, Corsairs, Spitfires, and Mustangs, all priced for less than the Italeri Starfighter. This local shop sells everything at wholesale prices, he pisses off the competitors.

Essentialy I paid $120 (US) for a mere shell that requires a new cockpit, wheels, exhaust details, wheel well details, and work to the surface and panel lines. This was a cash grab by Italeri, there isn't even a similar kit that you can equate the value to or compare it to. Even the Kinetic F-86 was priced much lower and still is priced for much less than this kit is.

It is a low qualiy kit with a high asking price.

In contrast, the GWH F-15, it has a few errors all of which I feel are fixable, but the kit and toolings, as well as the amount of work put into the kit is all of an exceptional high level of quality and craftsmanship.

I bought this Starfighter kit hopeful that the reviews online were not as accurate as they turned out to be. I am always an optimist, so that makes this review even harsher for those who care.

Where did you see that? There is a large thread here discussing the kit in detail, as well as threads at other places like LSP, and I think most were pretty realistic about what the kit is and isn't.

Actually MoFo is correct, I used those exact words in the thread I started on this when I saw the initial cad drawings. But as the thread progressed it was obvious from input from those who had the kit that it wasn't at the level I had thought it was. So I think MoFo is referring to the title of that particular thread.

The F-86 kit has a surface texture to it. So does Airfix's Vampire, so does Revell's F-104, and others. I could have picked any of those.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I have the 1/32 Revell F-104 kit and the surface is every bit as smooth as my Hasegawa 1/32 F-104 kit - they are both Very Smooth, no pebbly surface texture at all.

I'd like to know where you purchased it for $80.00 US.

I live in Germany and I paid 61 Euros in this shop. Thats around 80 US Dollars. I don´t know why this shop is so cheap. I don´t care :rolleyes:

Just imagine how much work and money for new cockpit, nozzle, decals, wheel wells, avionic bays etc you need to spent on your Hasegawa model!!! It is much more easy to spend work in the Italeri kit, because you don´t have to rescribe an 30 year old kit ;)

Thats my opinion, everyone else can do what you think is the best for you :D

I was just a bit disappointed Scooby, when you say "don´t waste your money on it". Because I didn´t waste money on that kit. I will make an outstandig model out of it, because I like the challange :P

PS: I am not an oob builder. I love aftermarket sets. I spend almost more then 300 Euros into my TRU Tomcat and its worth it I think.

Happy modeling to everyone

Edited by Tomcatfreak

:blink:/> :blink:/> :blink:/>

I have the 1/32 Revell F-104 kit and the surface is every bit as smooth as my Hasegawa 1/32 F-104 kit - they are both Very Smooth, no pebbly surface texture at all.

Revell also produces a 1:48 version.

You knew that the kit had some errors before you bought it. There where a lot of pictures online. It is not that bad!!! Are you guys be model builders or not? It is much more work to rescribe the entire Hasegawa model instead of fixing some errors at the Italeri kit!!!

The quality of the wings and other parts are really really good. Only the panel lines on the main fusalage are a bit soft and deep. Just sand them down a bit and you will have a better model! And I don´t care about the bad cockpit, tyres or PE parts. Just wait a while and Eduard, Aires, AMS Resin and co will give you some outstanding aftermarket sets!!!

I still have all CMK goodies and I will try to fit them into my Italeri model. The perfect model doesn´t excist. If Tamiya would release a Starfighter in 1/32, you will pay much more then 130 USD. And it is no guarantee that this model will have no errors.

For me, I can´t wait to start my F-104. I will make my dream German MARINE Starfighter out of this kit. Hopefully Italeri will release a double seater as well!

Last thing, I paid just 60 Euros, thats around 82 USD!!! If you wait a while, you will get the kit for less then 100 USD...

Just my 2 cents

+1500

the kit is not perfect but I liked it... it is far better than hasegawa or old revell one.. is it an overpriced kit? maybe... but it doesn't mean that italeri kit is a piece of junk...

+1500

the kit is not perfect but I liked it... it is far better than hasegawa or old revell one.. is it an overpriced kit? maybe... but it doesn't mean that italeri kit is a piece of junk...

:thumbsup:

Yes the kit is totally overpriced!!! I would not pay more then 60 Euros for it!

To quote the original poster:

"The Kinetic F-86 maker must have been involved with this kit".

But I digress...

And most people would have read it as a tongue-in-cheek joke in response to RiderFan's comment about the texture being similar to Kinetic's F-86.

Just like how he followed his comment on his first post about the soft and wide panel lines with: "The Matchbox mold maker is alive and well. "

Edited by Inquisitor

And most people would have read it as a tongue-in-cheek joke in response to RiderFan's comment about the texture being similar to Kinetic's F-86.

Just like how he followed his comment on his first post about the soft and wide panel lines with: "The Matchbox mold maker is alive and well. "

Exactly, I was going to make reference to that comment too but decided I'd wait and see if someone else would point out what you just did.

Thank-you.

The truth is I know someone who is very good friends with Raymond. I had thought the mold maker for the Kinetic F-86 kit had moved on and that Raymond is working with an all new crew now.

The truth is I know someone who is very good friends with Raymond. I had thought the mold maker for the Kinetic F-86 kit had moved on and that Raymond is working with an all new crew now.

And I've worked with him on multiple kits he's produced. Again, wasn't slagging anyone. I used his kit as a point of reference to ask a question. Thought it was a simple question.

I live in Germany and I paid 61 Euros in this shop. Thats around 80 US Dollars. I don´t know why this shop is so cheap. I don´t care :rolleyes:/>

Just imagine how much work and money for new cockpit, nozzle, decals, wheel wells, avionic bays etc you need to spent on your Hasegawa model!!! It is much more easy to spend work in the Italeri kit, because you don´t have to rescribe an 30 year old kit ;)/>

Thats my opinion, everyone else can do what you think is the best for you :D/>

I was just a bit disappointed Scooby, when you say "don´t waste your money on it". Because I didn´t waste money on that kit. I will make an outstandig model out of it, because I like the challange :P/>

PS: I am not an oob builder. I love aftermarket sets. I spend almost more then 300 Euros into my TRU Tomcat and its worth it I think.

Happy modeling to everyone

I'm not an OOB builder either, if the kit was $70.00 Cdn I'd likely be semi-happy.

If I bought all that aftermarket for the Hasegawa kit I'd still be paying less. Personally I'd use the Revell kit anyway. That kit isn't bad at all.

Nope, this kit isn't value for its monentary cost. It is the most dissapointing kit I have purchased in 20-30 years.

And I've worked with him on multiple kits he's produced. Again, wasn't slagging anyone. I used his kit as a point of reference to ask a question. Thought it was a simple question.

I 'm on your side David, I agree you weren't slagging anyone.

I think you missed part of the thread, as I also made a Kinetic comment which also wasn't intended as a Kinetic slagg.

I live in Germany and I paid 61 Euros in this shop. Thats around 80 US Dollars. I don´t know why this shop is so cheap. I don´t care :rolleyes:/>

You deceived us on the cost to your door. The kit is at an online shop that is out of stock.

The shipping cost to the cheapest region in Europe is another 20 Euros, 60 Euros to North America.

Cost plus shipping to North America would be $160 US.

I know some of this has already been posted, but I thought I'd expand on what has been said.

My kit has a lot of flash on it, most sprues will need a lot of scraping.

The LH fuselage has the softest, least defined panel lines. Some of the details just disappear. A rescribe of that side is required. Others have reported the same, they never said what side though.

The RH tail section is the same as noted above, the panel lines are poorly defined and some of the details fade away.

I hope the AFV kit is better, if it is released.

It is much more easy to spend work in the Italeri kit, because you don´t have to rescribe an 30 year old kit ;)/>

That is true...to be consistent, you will have to fill the surface of the model,and *then* rescribe this brand new kit instead:) Personally, I'd rather sand off raised detail and scribe on kits I already have in the loft.

Jens

I'm adding decals today, beware of the painting guide since some lines on the Italian camouflage are fancy, some numbbers on stencils are missmatched and several stencils are shown in wrong position or upside down :bandhead2: you will need good reference to complete this kit.

The SUU-21 here below is an aftermarket part from http://www.videoaviation.com/ a mostly needed add on for most of the schemes offered in the box.

2910ryc.jpg

Thanks for the Info all, I am not a 1/32nd scale builder except for a few selected kits.

Separating myself from $130 would have to make that kit pretty Nice. I consider the Academy Hornet/ Tamiya F-16 to be the benchmarks and I am far from being an expert on any aircraft. I have seen the Aca Bug go for $75 on the open market and about $130 at hobby shops.

Mind you I have no space for that and will stick with my benchmark 1/48th Hasegawa. Maybe even get a couple of them DACO upgrade sets when they are available.

Emil

I'm adding decals today, beware of the painting guide since some lines on the Italian camouflage are fancy, some numbbers on stencils are missmatched and several stencils are shown in wrong position or upside down :bandhead2:/> you will need good reference to complete this kit.

The SUU-21 here below is an aftermarket part from http://www.videoaviation.com/ a mostly needed add on for most of the schemes offered in the box.

Looks like you are doing an amazing job with this kit Paolo, I always count on nothing short of superior builds from you.

Love all of your builds, especially the 104s!