Movies shot where you live

I won't even mention those from when I lived in Burbank, North Hollywood and the L.A. area.

:cheers:

Before I was born, my parents lived in North Hollywood on Laural Canyon, my mom, grandmother and aunt had an upholstery business across the street from Universal. Celebrities would go in there all the time. The timeframe was 1960 to 63 or so ...

-Gregg

Untamed Heart was shot in the Minneapolis MN area. I know there are a number of others, but that one comes to mind.

Great movie. I'm man enough to admit it made me a little emotional.

Anyway, as far as movies filmed around here? "The Ten Commandments" was filmed out at the Guadalupe Dunes, about 15 minutes from my house. I guess some of the sets are still buried in the sand out there...not entirely sure on that. "The Rocketeer" from Disney was also filmed around here. Vandenberg Air Force Base, and I believe Santa Maria Airport made appearances in that movie. "Sideways" was filmed in around here, too. For those of you who have seen it, and remember the scene where they're in the bowling alley, well, those are the same lanes where I bowled youth leagues about 15-20 years ago, and I also bowled a few adult leagues there maybe 5 or 6 years ago. That damn bowling alley was old, stinky, musty, falling apart, and was just plain nasty, but it was easier just to go there since it was only about 5 minutes from my house. Anyway, it has since went out of business and was demolished to make room for an assisted living type apartment community for the elderly.

We also get mentioned in TV shows and movies occasionally, too, because of the penitentiary here...except nobody seems to be able to pronounce it properly. It's a pet peeve of mine and pretty much every other local around here to hear Lompoc referred to as "Lom-pawk." It is pronounced "Lom-POKE" people!

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

Not much around my way that would be well known globally apart from a little known trilogy called Lord Of The Rings :)/>/>/>

Scenes were shot all around NZ, but about half a dozen locations are local to me (as well as the central studio base), many of them obvious during filming. A requirement for filming access was that no trace be left behind though, so don't go there expecting to see too much. Some of the locations are well marked and signposted though.

Apart from that the New York street set for King Kong was constructed about a mile away from where I'm typing this.

Had a dig through the archives. Helm's Deep set in a local quarry in Jan 2001. One of the reasons NZ as a country really got behind the trilogy (apart from almost everyone knowing someone who was involved somehow) was that the sets were literally part of the landscape for a while. I was driving past this one every day on my way to work at the time.

scan0001_zps51cd309f.jpg

A couple of people I know got to be Elves, one at Helm's Deep, one in the prologue. One got a trading card with his character on it, the other got his very own action figure, which is kinda neat :)/>/>.

King Kong set in Lower Hutt 2004 or so. Note the fake snow on the street and the lot full of period cars :)/>/>

scan0002_zps9d51a2d5.jpg

Not a movie set, but related. This is the last active RNZAF B727 making a pass down the runway at Wellington airport on it's final flight in 2003. The hill I took the pic from overlooks the airport on one side, and Peter Jackson's studio complex and outdoor soundstages on the other. The last LoTR movie was still in production at the time and the sudden appearance of a bunch of people with long camera lenses on this hill for the flypast led to the sudden appearance of a few nervous security guards determined to make sure those lenses were kept pointing away from the studio :)/>/>

7271.jpg

Edited by Mumbles

Not much around my way that would be well known globally apart from a little known trilogy called Lord Of The Rings :)/>

Scenes were shot all around NZ, but about half a dozen locations are local to me (as well as the central studio base), many of them obvious during filming. A requirement for filming access was that no trace be left behind though, so don't go there expecting to see too much. Some of the locations are well marked and signposted though.

Apart from that the New York street set for King Kong was constructed about a mile away from where I'm typing this.

Wasn't The Hobbitt shot in NZ as well?

In Ocean's Twelve, the scenes on the Amsterdam Central train station were actually shot on train station Haarlem which is a 10 minute walk from my house.

Also, last week I was watching a Dutch movie about a boy being bullied on high school (and eventually committing suicide) and they suddenly were cycling through the street behind mine. I didn't even know they shot it here. :rolleyes:

Wasn't The Hobbitt shot in NZ as well?

Yup, not quite as much fanfare and hoopla with those though. Everyone has kinda gotten used to it :)/>

Last Samurai was shot in NZ, and Chris Pine is here shooting something as well - he's just been in court here in a drink-driving charge. Most of the effects for Avatar and Tintin among others were done here as well.

Edited by Mumbles

Although not filmed actually here in Arnhem, a Bridge to far was filmed in various places near Arnhem. Closest to Arnhem they got I think was Oosterbeek, hmm sounds familiar.

Deventer played the part of Arnhem, as the bridge there was a close look a like for the bridge in Arnhem in 1944.

I've been told that the current bridge (John Frost bridge) is the third bridge since 1944.

In Ocean's Twelve, the scenes on the Amsterdam Central train station were actually shot on train station Haarlem which is a 10 minute walk from my house.

By that reconing, you could also include Soldaat van Oranje. One of the better dutch films.

Also, last week I was watching a Dutch movie about a boy being bullied on high school (and eventually committing suicide) and they suddenly were cycling through the street behind mine. I didn't even know they shot it here

Spijt ??

Yeah, not bad but no cigar! Bit further South, on a line between Worcester and the Norfolk coastline!

(Don't wanna get the locals riled, y'see -specially as I can't play the banjo...)

Peterborough! The borough so nice they named it...Peter.

Vince

Jack Reacher, The Next Three Days, The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises (Gotham City Hall was actually a building on my college campus), The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and many others were shot in Pittsburgh.

Wasn't the football team in 'The Dark Knight Rises' the Steelers? I seem to remember the WR scoring the TD as the stadium collapses around him was Hines Ward. There was also the pretty dire Bruce Willis movie 'Striking Distance' that was filmed in the 'burgh.

vince

We also get mentioned in TV shows and movies occasionally, too, because of the penitentiary here...except nobody seems to be able to pronounce it properly. It's a pet peeve of mine and pretty much every other local around here to hear Lompoc referred to as "Lom-pawk." It is pronounced "Lom-POKE" people!

My parents' hometown (and the place where Mandie was living when we met) is Terre Haute, IN. It's pronounced "Terra Hote"..literally "High Ground" in French..but the name routinely gets butchered in movies and TV shows. My mom used to cringe when the characters in the old show "Family Affair" would mention visiting relatives in "Terry Hawtty." I get a chuckle every year when they run "A Christmas Story," and the "Old Man" mentions somebody he heard about in "Terra Hutt."

There was an old crime documentary series on A&E called "City Confidential." The profiled a murder that happened around here in the late 80s, and the narrator made several cringe-worthy mispronunciations of local place names. The show also laughably portrayed our town as a quiet, bucolic little burg where nothing bad every happened, and the murder had everyone terrified. Heck, we're just an average midwest rust-belt fading industrial town..and average 8 to 10 murders a year.

SN

Wasn't the football team in 'The Dark Knight Rises' the Steelers? I seem to remember the WR scoring the TD as the stadium collapses around him was Hines Ward. There was also the pretty dire Bruce Willis movie 'Striking Distance' that was filmed in the 'burgh.

vince

Technically they were the Gotham City Rogues playing the Rapid City Monuments. I was a bit surprised Nolan didn't have them play a team from Metropolis but I wasn't consulted.

The movie the “Patriot” was shot right here in Fort Mill, Sc many years ago. The first Hunger Games movie was shot near hear in a small abandoned town in North Carolina just across the boarder. Both of my younger daughters and many of their friends spent the summer as extras in the movie as “District 12” coal miners and peasants. It was fun way for kids to spend the summer and then get to see themselves on the big screen, even for just a nano second.

actually quite a few have been shot here, one that comes to mind for those who are fans of military movies, k19 the widow maker was filmed here starring Harrison Ford, the scene involving a USN ship was actually a retired Canadian frigate. Oddly enough a lot of movies are filmed in Halifax but take place else where, but the movie traitor starring Don Cheadle had a scene that took place in Halifax but was filmed somewhere else...

I lived in Joliet Il. and a scene from the blues Brothers was filmed at the old prison on Collins street. I grew up in Cicero and another scene in Blues Brothers shot on the Block my cousin lived on. Also in Blues Brothers there is the mall scene where they tear through a Toys R Us. It was an abandoned Mall they dressed for the Movie. I worked at TRU at that time and a bunch of my buddies went to go merchandise that fake store with real merchandise. When it was done the GM sent the guys back into that store to salvage any undamaged toys for resale. My buddies secretly had no intention of doing this and they went tin with baseball bats and made sure nothing much was salvageable :-)

Later on I also worked in Forest Park Il. at a Child World Toy Store. A scene from Color of Money was shot in the store while I was an Asst Manager there.

Max Bryant