TRUMPETR 1/72 Su-33UB COMING SOON

I thought that the KUB had a 'normal' Flanker nosecone - or am I missing something ??? Ken

It seems quite apparent from the 3D model and the photo showing it next to the Su-33 that the KUB has a somewhat shorter nose.

Edited by ijozic

It seems quite apparent from the 3D model and the photo showing it next to the Su-33 that the KUB has a somewhat shorter nose.

yeah that's what I was thinking - although if you look at the photo where it is flying in formation with a single-seater, both randomes seem the same. Looks like another of those complex geometries where there's something bothering you and you don't know exactly how to rectify the problem. Similar to Flanker spine shape.

Vairy eeeeenteresteeeng...... (for those of a certain age).....

I just dug out the Aviatsiya i Vremya drawings of the Su-33 and Su-33UB and they show that the Su-33UB radome is indeed about 4mm shorter in 1/72 scale....

su-33ub_radome.jpg

I don't know how accurate the drawings are - but the published length of both is.....

Su-33 21.185m

Su-33UB 21.2m

... a difference of .015m - which in 1/72 scale according to my trusty calculator is a mere 2mm.

So, it is shorter - but only slightly !

Ken

PS - Isn't this fun !! :deadhorse1:

Edited by Flankerman

Su-33 21.185m

Su-33UB 21.2m

... a difference of .015m - which in 1/72 scale according to my trusty calculator is a mere 2mm.

I think you missed a zero somewhere...

Difference = 21.200m - 21.185m = 0.015m

So far so good...

0.015m = 15mm

In 1/72nd scale:

15/72 = 0.21mm

So, basically not 2mm, but 1/5 of a mm. You would literally not be able to see it on a 1/72nd scale model.

There are two aspects here, I think: one - the real deal and two - the scale replica.

One:

While there is as good as no doubt regarding the figures and both things are [almost] the same length, there seems to be a difference in the shape of the nosecones between the regular Flanker and the naval two-seater:

505.jpg

su-33ub_7.jpg

516.jpg

I think that if the figures are indeed right, then the only explanation for the differing shape of the nosecone is the fact that the diameter of the fuselage plug it joins with is bigger than on the standard Flanker. There are on the KUB two seated side by side with a corresponding, most likely, wider fuselage en-lieu of the single-seater usual cross-section. I don't know if scale plans refer to this aspect and I could most certainly be wrong, but I don't think that the two planes have the same nosecone...

Two:

The model shown on Trumpeter's shelves at Nürnberg could be A-OK, could suffer from painting issues (white portion of nosecone carried too far back) or could simply ignore the slightly different dimensions in the forward fuselage/ nosecone area of the real deal and just make use of already tooled parts (i.e. use the same nosecone as the single-seater).

...or I could be wrong altogether and this discussion never took place :doh: :)

• 11 months later...
I don't know how accurate the drawings are

I'd be VERY cautious about them. Canopy base length carried to the windscreen base. Windscreen on AiV seem to be too long. Rough and quick Paint demo.

aivReal.jpg

If the kit is based on the AiV drawings, I think accuracy will have to be left aside.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My walkround of the 'proper' Su-33 (albeit an early testbed) is here.

All the wingfold photos you need.

The Su-33UB wing fold is completely different - the fold line is further outboard - but no published pics of it have surfaced yet.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually got one of these yet? It's very rare for a new Flanker variant to go on sale and not be thoroughly examined on here! But so far just supposition and questions without answers. Most odd, unless it really hasn't been released yet?

422971Capture.png

Difference between trumpeter and real SU-33UB

No - that's the difference between the Trumpeter artists impression of a Su-33UB from the kit painting guide and another artists rendition of a Su-33UB (as originally printed in Andrei Fomin's Su-33 book.)

Let's not write it off before it hits the model shops.

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

No - that's the difference between the Trumpeter artists impression of a Su-33UB from the kit painting guide and another artists rendition of a Su-33UB (as originally printed in Andrei Fomin's Su-33 book.)

Trumpyboss, Kitty Hawk and probably others use side/top/bottom views of the CAD model to design the painting guide.

• 4 weeks later...

SU-33UB is here, got it on Ebay from a local dealer (cheaper than the single seater).

Anyway, cockpit does not offer the access trap in the rear bulkhead and there does not seem to be enough space to allow a fully grown man (let alone one in G-suit and exposure suit with a helmet on) to sneak in between the seats.

Nose gear well is completely devoid of any detail.

Not sure about the shape of the nose cone and canopy, I am planting fruit trees now, maybe tonight.

No canards leading edge kink and no Thrust Vectoring Nozzles.

Edited by hemspilot