Modelsvit 1/72 Be-12 Mail

img600.jpg

Anyone pick up on my observation of the 'upside-down' tailplane in step 20 above ??

Either the tailplane is upside down - or the artist has shown the fins being attached upside down :woot.gif:/>

I agree with Jennings though - it's looking good so far.

Ken

PS - I also got my Trumpeter Be-6 yesterday (a Madge in the Mail :whistle:/> ) - it also looks great on an initial fondling.

I'm starting quite a collection of Taganrog-based products from Georgi Beriev - Be-6, Be-10, Be-12, Be-200 - and the Beriev-Bartini VVA-14.

Edited by Flankerman

[sNIP]

PS - I also got my Trumpeter Be-6 yesterday (a Madge in the Mail :whistle:/>/>/> ) - it also looks great on an initial fondling.

I'm starting quite a collection of Taganrog-based products from Georgi Beriev - Be-6, Be-10, Be-12, Be-200 - and the Beriev-Bartini VVA-14.

Ken- where did you get the Madge? I haven't seen it for sale in the colonies yet.

Also, do you have a recommendation on a model paint for the grey on the Ukraine Be-12? It looks lighter than the Soviet/Russian standard dark grey.

David

David,

I got it from Hannants:- http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TU01646

A bit pricey, but a must-have.

As for the Ukrainian grey - Modelsvit recommend Humbrol 147 'Light Grey' - with Hu-129 'US Gull Grey' for the Soviet example.

I'm not very good with exact matches - light grey, medium grey is as far as I'd go.

Cheers

Ken

PS - I've just used Hu-147 on my Trumpeter J-15 'Flying Shark'/ Sea Flanker - and it is VERY light - almost just off-white.

OMG!! The Trumpeter Be-6 doesn't even have ENGINE detail? Just a blank wall inside the cowling and the (upside down) chin opening?

Are you *freaking* kidding me?

Just a blank wall inside the cowling and the (upside down) chin opening?

The 'chin' opening is shown (correctly) as being at the top - so you just attach the front cowling that way - perfectly OK.

As for the lack of engine detail - that is an inexcusable omission on an expensive kit - but you can't see much in the opening anyway, so not a deal breaker.

I'll post some pics later........

I agree it should have the detail.

Ken

PS - Maybe we should start a separate Be-6 thread.....

OK - as promised, here are the photos.....

The kit parts - note the insert to represent some sort of 'gubbins' inside the cowling....

be-6 engine_01.jpg

The real thing......

be-6 engine_02.jpg

be-6 engine_03.jpg

be-6 engine_04.jpg

A bit of gouging out of the intake and some 'shapes' inserted into the opening and job done.

Shouldn't be necessary on such an expensive kit though - strike one against Trumpeter.

You could fix it yourself - or wait for the resin boys......

Ken

Edited by Flankerman

I know the opening is at the top (it's simply an upside down Tu-4/B-29 cowling). The problem is that there's no depth to it.

Also not the stunning similarity of the prop to a B-29 Ham Stan prop.

How disappointing. I wonder what else about the kit they skimped on?

Edited by Jennings

The Be-6 is 1/72

China never flew the Be-12, so I doubt they have any interest. It's taken them *forever* to get the Be-6 to market.

Honestly, given what I see of their Be-6, the Modelsvit Be-12 is light years better.

This is the Trump 1/48 -6?

Wonder if they'll do a -12?

"I want to know everything" - it was TV programm during my childhood.

About spot on port side of Be-12 fuselage.

In this place inside of fuselage mounted air compressor, because of continuous vibration there are microcracks on outside surface paint - so in contact with sea water this microcracks hardly damaged factory painting enamel, so in this place at least once in the year need fresh lawer of paint.

This answer i'm recieve from Kacha - hydroaviation base of the Russian Naval Aviation, this freshly painted Be-12 - for this base.

• 1 month later...

"I want to know everything" - it was TV programm during my childhood.

About spot on port side of Be-12 fuselage.

In this place inside of fuselage mounted air compressor, because of continuous vibration there are microcracks on outside surface paint - so in contact with sea water this microcracks hardly damaged factory painting enamel, so in this place at least once in the year need fresh lawer of paint.

This answer i'm recieve from Kacha - hydroaviation base of the Russian Naval Aviation, this freshly painted Be-12 - for this base.

Great info, so glad you are doing the firefighting schemes! Just wondering if you are doing the red-striped one, RA-00073?

Does anyone know what mods are necessary to convert the kit to a Be-12P? I can see extra blade antennas and such, but have not seen clear pics of the bottom (water scoops?).

Two colourful water bomer RA-00073 abd RA-00041 and at least one overal grey, wich had a emergensy landing near Veshenskaya - three this marking scheme will include in future decals.

Two colourful water bomer RA-00073 abd RA-00041 and at least one overal grey, wich had a emergensy landing near Veshenskaya - three this marking scheme will include in future decals.

Kotey, when do you expect decals to be finished? Also when we can expect your new Ka-27/28 decals in 1/48 scale?

Edited by Exluppis

Be-12 decal elements is fully designed, i'm working on about instruction - usual instruction design is much more labor-consuming, than decal design - i got used to do the instruction very in detail, so Be-12 decal release i hope will be in end of June, maybe in July.

About new Ka-27/28 decal in 1\72 - at my look our current decals is comprehensive, maybe now i can add few schemes, but only few, not more (as say in Russia: "better" is enemy of "good").

1/48 Ka-27PL\28 decal will release in next 2-3 weeks, decal not avait print (yes, even our own decals avait possibilty of print in our production list), instruction is ready now, today i'm get it from printing house.

Edited by kotey

The bottom of the fuelage and floats are a nice blue color, in contrast to the grey-green above. Are the undersides of the wings blue as well?

If you go to russianplanes dot net and search on Be-12, there is a great picture of this plane in flight, showing the bottom. The wing undersides are the same "teal" color as most of the plane, not blue like the "boat" parts. (There's a technical term there, but I can't remember it.)

Wow, what a site. Some excellent Flagon photos there too. :woot.gif:/>

PERFECT, thank you sir!

Well, even MORE perfect would be adding Yellow 12 above, but I am NOT complaining. I'd have to buy more kits (i.e. "collectibles") anyway.

Great info, so glad you are doing the firefighting schemes! Just wondering if you are doing the red-striped one, RA-00073?

Does anyone know what mods are necessary to convert the kit to a Be-12P? I can see extra blade antennas and such, but have not seen clear pics of the bottom (water scoops?).

There are quite a few changes to make a Be-12P - 'bomb bay' water doors, retractable scoops and overflow outlets in the fuselage.

There are some photos of the Be-12P wot I took at Gelendzhik in 2002 here.

Ken