Modelsvit 1/72 Be-12 Mail

I'm ask twice, and now avaiting the answer. No doubt that this patch is painting over abrasive wear of fuselage casing plates, main question - why only in this place.

Could it be because of the direction the prop blades turn (they both turn the in the same direction, right?), and only on the left side they might blast stuff/water/debris to the fuselage so they added some sort of protection there?

Just a wild thought.

Could it be because of the direction the prop blades turn (they both turn the in the same direction, right?), and only on the left side they might blast stuff/water/debris to the fuselage so they added some sort of protection there?

Just a wild thought.

That was my initial thought - but it looks like it is just paint - not any sort of scabbed-on protective cover.

This cutaway shows that there are avionics boxes in that area - and only on the port side - so maybe it is painted a lighter colour to aid cooling ???

Which also might explain why it is only present on some variants and not others (SAR, Fire-bomber) etc...

Just a thought....

Ken

Really looking forward to getting mine. PayPal inexplicably kept a years-old address (I've cleared it from my account settings at least twice), so mine went astray, but David said it's in the mail to the correct address now.

Mine arrived from Hobby Terra this week. It was 2 weeks from Kiev to USPS hands in Providence, RI, then 2 days from Providence to Alabama. No complaints there.

The kit looks good to me. I was quite pleased to see that molding looked more like the Czech kits and less like the A-model of old. The A-Model Brewer haunts my dreams. I am very appreciative of the inclusion of masks for the complex glazing. I am less pleased about the rubber tires. I will keep watch resin replacements for those.

I look forward to using the Ukraine markings. Nothing else in my collection wears those. I have plenty of Red Stars.

Can anyone suggest a good gray to use for the (apparently) lighter gray used by Ukraine? Ken?

David

Just got mine from Hannants - and had a quick fondle.......

Anyone else notice that the tailplane is depicted upside down in step 20 ???

If built as the artist has shown it, the tailplane will have a distinct anhedral - or if mounted correctly, the fins will be upside down :woot.gif:

Ken

Your color scheme choices for the Be-12 are:

1. Overall grey

2. Overall grey

3. An overall slightly different shade of grey

Some have tried to say Vietnam used an overall grey with wide green stripes, but to my knowledge no photo of such a thing exists.

A very grey Be-12.

158977.jpg

I don't think the instruction sheet for this kit has been posted anywhere. I must say, the more I look at it, the more impressed I am. Amodel (owned by the same owner as Modelsvit) has really made some significant strides in quality recently. No one will mistake this kit for a Tamiya kit, but then Tamiya isn't likely to do a 1/72 Be-12 in this lifetime or the next. There is very little flash (a common problem with their older kits), and the finesse and fit of everything I've tried so far has been very good. It will still require a bit of test fitting and filing and sanding here and there, but compared to Amodel kits from ten or more years ago, this one is light years ahead.

Keep the good (Soviet) stuff coming!

img595.jpg

img596.jpg

img597.jpg

img598.jpg

img599.jpg

img600.jpg

img601.jpg

One thing that's readily apparent - they didn't have a tool big enough to do the entire fuselage. I'm 99% sure that attaching the front and rear parts of each fuselage half before assembling the left/right halves will be the way to go. They have it as a plain butt joint, but it will undoubtedly need some reinforcement from the inside.