What's your latest tool?

With a 5/16-18 stud and a 5/8 dowel, I cobbled up a mount for a normally handheld work holder in a Panavise vacuum base.

vise-1a_zpsew8pogff.jpgvise-2_zps8xp9swl3.jpg

I've also Had It with knocking over bottles of Tamiya glue.

glue_zpstxkexobm.jpg

Just bought the trumpeter scriber. I don't really like it. It's nice for straight lines, but almost impossible to scribe curves.

Me too! Not the best tool even for straight lines. You have to be very careful because it doesn't fit firmly to the plastic body of the scriber.

How do you knock over tamiya cement? It's a square based bottle? I've knocked over plenty of stuff, but never that.

I have a patent on the method! :thumbsup:

I've done it three, 3, times! :bandhead2:

1: Took out a Mirage PZL-23 I was building for the 75th Anniversary of the 1939 Campaign. I had that amazingly detailed fuselage buttoned up! The river of plastic death took out the entire fuselage. I may have been moving the bottle to use it.

2: A Williams Electra 10 fuselage was laying, skin-side down, on the cutting mat. I had just completed scratch building a full interior for Earhart's around-the-world flight configuration. The spilled glue puddled around the skin. Fortunately, this time I was able to carefully lift the fuselage out of the glue puddle and let it dry. I convinced myself that those oversize rivets needed to go anyway and I rescued this by sanding the exterior smooth... I'll get back to this when those scars heal.

3: Just this year, building the Kinetic F-16D Block 52 for the Tiger GB. Spilled the stuff on the partially completed upper fuselage. I'm hoping fuselage will be fine under paint. I'll be able to complete this in time for the build's end in June.

I saw this Tamiya-bottle-in-a-pile-of-clay approach on a video. Added the HAZMAT containment system as a backup given my proven skills...

Edited by dnl42

Jon Vojtech's AWL-SOME! Maxi Punch 'n' Die Round Set (PT.11)

PT.11_zps89a8llhe.jpg

Mind ye, it's been a lifetime since I already had both the miniature 'n' sub miniature Waldron sets, but there's sumthin' 'bout this set that won't let me be 'til the day I finally got it. Perhaps Mr Vojtech's page had some subliminal influence 'cause I'd dream of this set every night. Yeh, me would.

Now that I've got it, I'm obsessed 'bout round 'n' juicy female rumps all over again. :wub:/> Yeh, me is.

Cheers 'em all

Unc²

Can someone tell me what uses you would have for a punch and die set? I've never used them and have now idea how you would utilise them in modelling

Oscarmm_05.jpg

(not mine)

Punching precise, small holes. Creating precise, small discs. Scratchbuilding instrument panels, buttons, dials, rivets, pulleys, wheels... basically anything small, thin and round. They can also be used to punch styrene patches to fill ejector pin marks. Or punching out individual dials from instrument panel decals, to apply individually. Or small, round masks for lights, HUDs, gunsights and instruments.

Not a tool you'll use every day, but incredibly useful when you need it.

Oscarmm_05.jpg

(not mine)

Punching precise, small holes. Creating precise, small discs. Scratchbuilding instrument panels, buttons, dials, rivets, pulleys, wheels... basically anything small, thin and round. They can also be used to punch styrene patches to fill ejector pin marks. Or punching out individual dials from instrument panel decals, to apply individually. Or small, round masks for lights, HUDs, gunsights and instruments.

Awesome. Thanks MoFo! Could you recommend a set that would be good as a starter pack?

That's exactly right! I have the Waldron set, but I'd likely get the set above if I were to buy today. As you can see, they're available from this UMM page. UMM is one of my top 5 online shops.

I have the Waldron set, but yadda, yadda, yadda... :lol:

Don't get me wrong; Waldron sets are as awl-some as Mr Vojtech's are. My personal advise to the Coo-Coo Snap Cap'n is that the difference between a set 'n' the other lays in the way ya work the punches. Ya've got to be extremely careful when workin' the Waldron punches not to ruin 'em in the whole process.

As ya're able to see, punches on Mr Vojtech's set fit inside a calibrated hole which is a helluva lot more forgivin'

Setback 'bout Mr Vojtech's set is that the area in which to slip styrene under the slot round each die is a lot more limited than that of the Waldron sets.

Cheers now,

Unc²

Awesome. Thanks MoFo! Could you recommend a set that would be good as a starter pack?

I have Micro-Mark's set,and it's been working great for me. I also have a "leather punch" with a rotating head that works well on styrene. I wish we could get a punch and die set that does tiny squares, rectangles, or hexagons.

Anyhow, my latest tool is one I made myself. It's an airbrush cleaning station/stand. The jar part is a glass cheese shaker from the dollar store, and the airbrush rack is parts from a little"building set" (like a miniature erector set), also from the dollar store. The green wire holds a little circle of furnace filter over the holes. When I clean my airbrush, I spray thinner/cleaner into this. It doesn't filter too much, but it contains and slows down the overspray, which my spray booth sucks right out.

20150508_1824201.jpg

Edited by RedHeadKevin

Thanks gents. I work almost exclusively in 1/48 and 1/32. Would the Maxi Pinch & Die pt 11 be a good start?

G'day, Cap'n Andrew! :wave:/>

Talk 'bout punch 'n' die sets available from UMM-USA; yeh, me thinks item PT.11 is yer choice for the scales ya dance with. No point in gettin' either one of the PT.6 sets as well for the smaller punches on 'em (just the 0.6mm 'n' 0.8mm).

Now, I wonder whether ya've understood well that the UMM-USA 'n' Waldron sets are quite different in that, the latter have got a plexiglass cover that let ya actually "see" the spot ya're 'bout to punch over on the subject ya slip under the die. This is key whenever ya've got to slip an instrument panel which dials ya've got to punch over, precisely.

waldronpanddreviewbg_2.jpg

Well, this is not the case with any of the UMM-USA sets. Also, the workin' space ya've got to place the subject under the die on these sets is much more limited 'n' difficult to "see" To me the UMM-USA sets are meant just for punchin' round discs outa styrene sheets, which is why I got mine in the first place.

Incidentally, the price of the Waldron Sub Miniature Punch 'n' Die set is still goin' strong... $99.00 a set? :wacko:/>

Waldron Stuff listed on Roll Models

Cheers,

Unc²

Edited by Uncle Uncool

I purchased the Iwata M-1 single action internal air brush. For me, it's the best AB I've ever used. I've retired my much used and abused Paasche-H, and I've sold my Iwata Eclipse that I just never was able to get comfortable with. The M-1 does everything I could ask a general purpose AB to do, and does it extremely well.

Joel

25098-1001-2ww-m.jpg