Been through Tawas once or twice..beautiful area. I live down in the southwest part of the Lower Peninsula.

I you get some time, definitely make it a point to explore th U.P. And be sure to cross over to Saut Ste, Marie, Ontario and visit the Canadian Bushplane Heritage Centre..a really awesome collection.

SN

Edited by Steve N

Find an excuse to go to the CG station in Muskegon, MI. "House of Hobbies by Dug" is outstanding.

100% agreed, you'd probably have better luck getting to the Grandhaven Station then taking a quick trip to Muskegon.

As you know I'm in the US Coast Guard. Last week I received orders to Coast Guard Station Tawas Michigan. Does anyone on here live there or near there?

It's 3.2 nm from the very geographical center of nowhere. Very pretty country though...

All of northern MI is great, hit Mackinac Island, go down to Petosky, Traverse City, Sleeping Bear Dunes NP...lots to do up there, The UP is a whole different adventure. You can go down south and I know Selfridge is supposed to have their first airshow in years this summer. Detroit does have some fun things to do. You can visit U of M. Michigan is a great state, and you're right in the middle of it. You can also go up to Alpena and watch the ANG shoot up the range too. Enjoy and best of luck with some very friendly people!

Jeff

Some very nice hobby shops in Michigan. I tend to go to three. I am in the SE corner though and if you want here is my list and review:

1) Great Lakes Toy and Hobby - Sterling Heights, MI - Very large shop, models (very decent selection), trains, some RC, and lots of other toys. Good prices, always some standard % off MSRP. Has most of the paints and supplies you would want. Carries, Vallejo, Testors, Tamiya, and some figure paints (citadel?)

2) Model Cave, Ypsilanti, MI - Just plastic! Nice selection, current stuff plus buys collections and has some pretty cool old stuff. All kits (if not already marked down, I think are 20% off sticker. Pretty much any paint or supply you want he carries it. Also, if he doesn't will get it if it is available to him.

3) Dean's Hobby Stop - Owosso, MI - pretty much just older stuff because I think his business model is that he buys collections and then sells them in store. Generally very good prices and pretty neat selection. Not much in the way of paints and supplies though.

Hope this helps. Probably where you are, this is a day off trip. I think you could hit 2 of them in one day if you planned it well.

Also J-Bar in Tecumseh (SW of Detroit, short distance East of Mi Intl Speedway). New and old stuff plus collectibles, toys.

MI is a good spot for historic ships too.

Silversides, LST, and USCGC McLane (and active car ferry catamaran) in Muskegon.

Friends Good Will sloop ("We have met the enemy and they are ours...one sloop") in South Haven.

USCGC Mackinaw in Mackinaw City.

USS Edson in Bay City.

Lightship Huron in Port Huron.

Not open to public is the active Sea Cadet Training Ship Grayfox (also is a designated Navy Reserve Center) at Port Huron.

Another active car ferry is Badger in Ludington. Carries a big US 10 emblem on stern 'cause she's designated as part of US highway 10.

I lived in Ypsi for a long time, as well as Lewiston, close to Tawas. There is fantastic fishing in the Northern Lower. East and West Twin Lakes, Tee Lake, Bear Lake......the list goes on. Plus there are always charters on the Great lakes if you don't have your own boat.

Welcome to the Wolverine State!

Have to agree that if you like fishing, you're in heaven. The national and State Parks in Michigan are among the best in the nation.

Didn't know they had a station at Tawas, although it would make sense for the location.

If you get a chance, run down to Selfridge ANGB. They have a decent collection of static AC. Also, the AirZoo in Kalamazoo is a great aviation museum.

One last thing, try to get to Grand Haven (on Michigans West Coast, 15 minutes from me!) for their week long Coast Guard festival. Grand Haven is called Coast Guard City, USA after all. July 29 - August 7.

You'll find most of the cool stuff and people are really on this side of the state anyway. :woot.gif:

And if you're in Kalamazoo and you have any interest in cars, check out the Gilmore Auto Museum.

If you go to the Air Zoo, make sure you check out my old Solar Car from college way in the back.

-Dave

Thanks for all the advice. Definitely going to have to try and get everywhere sometime I'll be there for four long years. Being in Michigan is like salt in a wound to me. I'm a Packers and Ohio State fan

You'll straighten up in no time. Go Blue!