Academy 1/48 A-10C

A little bit on the Phase Hanger A-10 engines.  As I mentioned earlier, they are excellent and drop fit replacements for the Academy parts.  Not the best modelers, so be kind.  First two photos show the assembled engine and forward cowl.  You will notice grooves on the top internal engine part, these match the raised lines inside the Academy cowlings.  The assembled engine, front fan and cowl just slide right into the Academy engine cowling. 

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

No ECU/ECS inlet size and shape correction???

No engine pylon position and shape correction???

Those are glaring errors, but only one rewiever (from South Korea) on his YT channel did care to point them out. 

Edited by Zacharias
On 7/13/2023 at 5:34 AM, Tracy White said:

Does it seem like there's a contour mismatch at the joint? It doesn't look like a smooth joint, more like a double bubble meeting up.

Good catch! Maybe that set was not initialy designed for Academy A-10C kit?

Sorry to bust in on this thread, but maybe better than a new one for my stupid question...  I'm working on my Academy A-10C, and there seems to be a bit of 'play' in the front landing gear strut.  'm pretty sure that the strut is not perfectly vertical with respect to the ground, but I've been unable to determine what the actual 'rake angle' (using motorcycle terminology) is for this strut on the A-10C.  Does anyone know?  No one else seems to have a concern with this, and maybe I'm just not aligning the parts exactly correctly, but I'd really like to know what that angle really is.  Any help out there?  Thanks for letting me hop onto this thread.  Thus far, the Academy build has been fabulous, long with Phase Hanger parts for the engines!!

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Charlie D. said:

Amazon has them for $32 shipped! Only 3 left at this price as of me typing this. There were 7 available when I ordered mine earlier. 

Thanks for the info...just ordered one myself.  I'm hoping for any improvement with  the forthcoming GWH kit, but just in case, nice to have a backup!

On 7/16/2023 at 2:55 AM, Curt B said:

Sorry to bust in on this thread, but maybe better than a new one for my stupid question...  I'm working on my Academy A-10C, and there seems to be a bit of 'play' in the front landing gear strut.  'm pretty sure that the strut is not perfectly vertical with respect to the ground, but I've been unable to determine what the actual 'rake angle' (using motorcycle terminology) is for this strut on the A-10C.  Does anyone know?  No one else seems to have a concern with this, and maybe I'm just not aligning the parts exactly correctly, but I'd really like to know what that angle really is.  Any help out there?  Thanks for letting me hop onto this thread.  Thus far, the Academy build has been fabulous, long with Phase Hanger parts for the engines!!

Not sure if anyone answered this one, but seeing your question I had to check my reference photos. You are correct, it is angled a little forward. Don't have the exact angle, but this photo showing it during take off run shows what I mean; Aircraft Photo of 77-0275 / AF77-275 | Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II | USA - Air Force | AirHistory.net #574767
This one, showing fully parked shows somewhat less of an angle, but still there; Fairchild OA-10A Thunderbolt II - USA - Air Force | Aviation Photo #1220026 | Airliners.net

Edited by Niels
Update with more intel
4 hours ago, Niels said:

Not sure if anyone answered this one, but seeing your question I had to check my reference photos. You are correct, it is angled a little forward. Don't have the exact angle, but this photo showing it during take off run shows what I mean; Aircraft Photo of 77-0275 / AF77-275 | Fairchild A-10A Thunderbolt II | USA - Air Force | AirHistory.net #574767
This one, showing fully parked shows somewhat less of an angle, but still there; Fairchild OA-10A Thunderbolt II - USA - Air Force | Aviation Photo #1220026 | Airliners.net

Thank you, Niels!  I actually posted a similar question in Britmodeller when I didn’t get any responses here, and got several answers.  It appears that the forward rake is somewhere between 2 and 8 degrees, and your additional photos confirm that…thanks so much.  When I get to that point with my Academy build, I’m going to ‘wing’ it and make it look similar to the photos that you and a few others provided.  Very kind of you to help 😊

Just now, Curt B said:

Thank you, Niels!  I actually posted a similar question in Britmodeller when I didn’t get any responses here, and got several answers.  It appears that the forward rake is somewhere between 2 and 8 degrees, and your additional photos confirm that…thanks so much.  When I get to that point with my Academy build, I’m going to ‘wing’ it and make it look similar to the photos that you and a few others provided.  Very kind of you to help 😊

Here are a couple more should help as well. 

a10businessend.jpg

A10demo.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 8:33 PM, Charlie D. said:

Amazon has them for $32 shipped! Only 3 left at this price as of me typing this. There were 7 available when I ordered mine earlier. 

Flew in from a business trip on Friday and my box was waiting for me at my front door, which my wife didn't notice!  Now to order the Phase Hanger parts and other bits for it. 

• 1 month later...

Just picked up the Academy kit and I am looking forward to starting it. haav1/72 one and that was a dog. The engine shapes just did not seem right and lots of bad gaps

Don't know if these will help. but recently got some pics at the Willow Grove NAS air museum

This particular one began its service with the 111th Fighter Wing, PA Air National Guard, in 1992 and designated as a weapons load trainer

if looking for something more specific I can get some different angles

IMG_20230916_134031739_HDR.thumb.jpg.d75b55c3b44ac9dd541a6f965ef14dca.jpg

IMG_20230916_134004344_HDR.thumb.jpg.c6183104fad922aafe590fd904923036.jpgIMG_20230916_134008760_HDR.thumb.jpg.4bfc2522106fbd35cdaba53c911aa2ef.jpgIMG_20230916_134342300_HDR.thumb.jpg.9eb86d5e65252264b81014a1c2aa2441.jpgIMG_20230916_134325869_HDR.thumb.jpg.a14315da47ec19b609e83db8f837bf19.jpgIMG_20230916_134233626_HDR.thumb.jpg.8b3eea13e811ca65ba8da4895c77c894.jpg

35 minutes ago, A-10 LOADER said:

I was at the 111th from May of 1994 until September of 2011. I actually loaded those bombs and rocket pods on her before she went to the museum in 2010. Poor girl's looking rough these days.

Steve

Very cool!

yeah, she is looking rough

I lived on Warminster from 1996 to 2017 off of County Line road a few miles away from the base. I miss watching the A-10s do their practice every few weeks (once a month?)

I remember one of A-10s crashing when coming in for a landing over on the Keith Valley Rd side of things. IIRC it clipped the top of a tree

Also miss the airshows, although that F-14 crash was the nail in the coffin for them as far as community support went. People were already complaining

at the one Air Show (I think 2005) they had a whole demo with a simulated attack run for the A-10s complete with the pyrotechnics for the "explosions" ( although IIRC they did live ammo training runs up in Wellsboro) P1010029a.thumb.jpg.1d1a0bc22507af7129063e3e09818424.jpgP1010028a.thumb.jpg.f83a4b77269c07308baa223961837440.jpg 

Edited by blakeh1
  • 4 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Gator52 said:

What's involved in modeling a mid-90's LASTE A-10A from the Academy A-10C kit?  Are the differences limited to instrument panel, antennas, and sensors?

Thanks

Chris

The Academy kit is a C model, with new IP and coaming in addition to antennas etc. 
For an A-10A you need atleast the new IP and coaming. Antennas are likely easier to modify. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2023 at 8:39 PM, Zacharias said:

No ECU/ECS inlet size and shape correction???

No engine pylon position and shape correction???

Those are glaring errors, but only one rewiever (from South Korea) on his YT channel did care to point them out. 

Some link, would You mind?