CF-188A Hornet - Kinetic 1/48

hello there! i've been lurking around these parts for about a year now, so i figured i may as well start sharing some of my builds! i'm relatively new to aircraft modelling, though i've been doing a lot of sci-fi/anime stuff (mostly Gunpla)since i was a kid. i build my first planes last summer and quickly developed a massive fondness for the F/A-18 in all it's forms and i'm never not working on at least one, or two, or more. 

this is my 7th legacy hornet in 1/48 and my 5th time building the Kinetic kit. i think i've finally got down how do deal with the general fiddly-ness of certain parts of this kit (intakes, nose assembly, landing gear). this one was done completely out of the box, including ordnance, with the only "modifications" being magnetizing all of the pylons and some rudimentary harnesses made of masking tape. 

the box this kit was built from had kind of a wonky decal sheet. the numbers on top the wing were the wrong color, and there were only something like half of the (very prominent!) 'no step' markings. i grabbed the sheet from another CF-188 kit in my stash and it didn't have either of these issues. i suppose Kinetic fixed this at some point, so if you snag one of these fingers crossed that you get a later boxing!

i'm pretty proud of this one and i think it's mostly cos i had some pretty good reference shots for the weathering on this one, which is good because i feel like i tend to go overboard with the oils sometimes. i'm also in love with the false canopy and spotlight and really just all the little differences between the USN/USMC and RCAF Hornets. 

vbMmdtW.jpg

vcmuKou.jpg

YrwhLML.jpg

jnR084O.jpg

NoUv9eJ.jpg

mxKhDCh.jpg

GpGcRwY.jpg

rc6wfgV.jpg

YxOOaKr.jpg

idnfxzw.jpg

szFQmfh.jpg

51 minutes ago, Dafixer said:

Care to share any build tips? I've heard the horror stories about the nose/front glass fit but never a definitive fix for the issues. 

Putty, sand, putty and sand again. Each time I have built it its a different spot that needs the work.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:48 AM, Dafixer said:

Care to share any build tips? I've heard the horror stories about the nose/front glass fit but never a definitive fix for the issues. 

i believe they've fixed the mold for the windscreen on more recent boxings. the first two i built were pretty dreadful and required a lot of fussing about and cutting away plastic, but the 3 since have fit just fine. 

the rest of the nose can still be a bit finicky. i always cut off the top portion from the upper fuselage part and assemble the whole nose and fuselage separate before putting them together and that seems to avoid a lot of the problems i've seen other people have with that area. but it's still like @phantomsaid, every time there is usually some other spot that needs a little work. it's just a lot of parts that have to come together! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...