1/72nd Zvezda AC-130J "GHOSTRIDER" 4th SOS

Since I'm at a standstill with the EP-3 ( in need of decals ), I decided to "test fit" some of the pieces of the kit and see what I was in for. I noticed right away the plastic seems really soft compared to any of my other builds. The fit is exceptional so far and the details seems really nice and crisp.

"Test-fitting" the horizontal stabs together I noticed there are no formation lights on the outer corner edge, so after they were glued together and dry, out came the razor saw and I made the two notches as per my reference photos. This left a small opening at the back corner of the notch. I boxed in the notch with some .010" plastic sheet. This notch will get a chuck of clear plastic and will be sanded/shaped once dry. At this point the build is underway. She'll be "in flight" like the EP-3 so I'll have to figure out more spinning props. We'll see how this journey goes.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7962.png

(edited)_IMG_7963.png

(edited)_IMG_7964.png

(edited)_IMG_7965.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
  • A-10 LOADER changed the title to 1/72nd Zvezda AC-130J "GHOSTRIDER" 4th SOS
52 minutes ago, HERC164 said:

I will be watching this with great interest. Waiting on my  Ghostriders to arrive, hopefully next week. 

Appreciate the interest HERC164.

Finished up the formation lights on the horizontal stabs, very happy with the results. My trusty old toothbrush donated the clear parts. I drilled a small hole to represent the bulb and attached them with some liquid CA. I will warn those who work on this kit, the plastic is soft so be careful when you sand.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7966.png

(edited)_IMG_7967.png

(edited)_IMG_7968.png

Steve, great work on the Ghostrider.  Most AC-130J's were MC-130J's first, then modified to AC-130 standards, so they had the MC-130 lighting for aerial refueling. The lights on the horizontal stab are the refueling pod lights. The diagram shows most of the exterior lighting. Hope this helps.

BupR6ho.png

STORM,HERC164 thanks guys much appreciated.

More progress on the Gunship. I added the sponsons to both sides of the aircraft and, on the starboard side, I drilled out and opened up the two air scoops. I also assembled the fuel tanks and the tail fin piece. I did have to sand quite a bit off the back of the panel that has the small air scoop on it, just behind the cockpit, so it sat flush with the fuselage but, other than that the fit of all these parts has been exceptional !

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7975.png

(edited)_IMG_7976.png

(edited)_IMG_7971.png

(edited)_IMG_7978.png

(edited)_IMG_7977.png

(edited)_IMG_7980.png

(edited)_IMG_7979.png

(edited)_IMG_7973.png

Patrick and Jost, thanks guys, much appreciated.

I hate using decals for the cockpit, unless they're the 3D type, so I ordered the Eduard ZOOM set for the C-130J. No one makes anything for the AC-130J yet so, I figured at this scale close enough and, it will help dress up the cockpit. There's lots of windows to mask off on this aircraft as well so I ordered a mask set. Trying to simplify things where possible. We'll see how they fit. The first mask set I ever tried was for my A-7D and, the first one I tried was too small for the glass so, they promptly went in the trash.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7981.png

(edited)_IMG_7982.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER

Last night I wanted to try fitting the wings together, to see how this would work, because of all the pieces involved making them. After a quick cleanup I was pleasantly surprised considering they are only taped together. All the joints are tight which is great news because this means I can paint the body and wings separately, like my EP-3 and, attach them with some minor paintwork during final assembly. The wings are really straight, no bends or droop but, there are no engines, fuel tanks, wing pylons with weapons hanging on them yet either so, we'll see down the road.

She'll make a nice in flight display.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7983.png

On 8/16/2023 at 10:27 PM, A-10 LOADER said:

I did have to sand quite a bit off the back of the panel that has the small air scoop on it, just behind the cockpit, so it sat flush with the fuselage

(edited)_IMG_7975.png

Excited to follow this build as I'm making mine at the same time as well. 

1cp4arh.jpg

LXvEl1K.jpg

ZG5ZIId.jpg

Decided to just remove the back of the panel for my kit! Just needs some sanding and putty as well but it'll be pretty flush.

Progress update on the gunship.

Even though these interior parts will never be seen I chose to add them because they give the fuselage halves some extra rigidity. The fit of all these pieces is exceptional.

(edited)_IMG_7987.png

The cockpit and parts were sprayed, some brush painting is still needed then I can add the Eduard ZOOM pieces.

(edited)_IMG_7989.png

Assembled the main floor with the bulkhead that the cockpit will attach to. This was also test fitted to the fuselage halves and the fit was fantastic, everything lines up and fits perfectly.

(edited)_IMG_7988.png

Built up the 150mm and drilled out the end of the barrel.

(edited)_IMG_7990.png

Steve

More great progress on the Ghostrider! Nice job on drilling out the 105, a definite must. It kind of looks like a combination of the old M102, and the new 105 , see link below.

2 of the 4 I ordered have arrived. Luckily no flat canopy windshields, although 1 is very soft, and flexible. If I can help with references etc., please let me know.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/our-first-look-at-an-ac-130j-ghostrider-gunships-new-105mm-gun

3 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

Nice project. Wish I had space in my display cabinet for one of these. Some very nice work.

it's really not as big as you think! unless you usually make super small stuff I'm sure you could squeeze this thing somewhere :^)

2 hours ago, HERC164 said:

More great progress on the Ghostrider! Nice job on drilling out the 105, a definite must. It kind of looks like a combination of the old M102, and the new 105 , see link below.

2 of the 4 I ordered have arrived. Luckily no flat canopy windshields, although 1 is very soft, and flexible. If I can help with references etc., please let me know.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/our-first-look-at-an-ac-130j-ghostrider-gunships-new-105mm-gun

Thanks HERC164, appreciate that.

15 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

Nice project. Wish I had space in my display cabinet for one of these. Some very nice work.

She won't fit in my cabinet either. I'll be making a base for her with a plexiglass cover.

Steve

Slowly chipping away here on the AC-130.

I managed to get the Eduard pieces added to the cockpit, looks way better than decals and, adds some interest. I added a laptop to the counter of the "desk area". I still need to add the throttles to the main console area, if I can, they are super tiny. I'm really not sure how much of this you'll see once everything is inside but at least it's there.

(edited)_IMG_7996.png

The aircrew got a coat of sand beige since they'll be "in theater".

(edited)_IMG_7995.png

I added the 7/16" plastic tube to the cargo area, not glued in yet, for the clear acrylic rod. I'll need to get a heat gun so I can bend the rod slightly to replicate the aircraft orbiting targets.

(edited)_IMG_7992.png

(edited)_IMG_7994.png

Steve

Since the aircraft will not be in level flight, she'll be banked to the port side, when I put her on the acrylic rod and banked her she rolled tail down. I tried a piece of tape on the rod but, this made the rod too tight. I want to be able to remove the aircraft whenever possible without a fight.

I decided to make a small notch on the bottom of the 7/16" tube and add a piece of acrylic to the rod that fits into the notch. This is only a test piece of rod but, it gives you the idea. Now when the aircraft is placed onto the rod the notch keeps her from moving. Once I get closer to this stage of the build I'll figure out the exact length of rod I'll need and add the acrylic "key-way" to the rod at the correct spot.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7997.png

(edited)_IMG_7998.png

A little more progress on the AC-130.

I got the fuel tanks and wing pylons pinned to the wings and also made some bomb racks for the pylons out of some .030" sheet plastic. I ordered the Armory Models GBU-39's with the BRU-61/A carriage rack to hang on the wing pylons. The package has been sitting in customs in NYC since the 13th of August so, whenever it arrives I'll get those pinned to the bomb racks as well.

The cockpit is close to being finished and, the aircrew are still being painted.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_7999.png

(edited)_IMG_8000.png

(edited)_IMG_8001.png

Edited by A-10 LOADER
8 minutes ago, HERC164 said:

Great work on the Ghostrider! If you get to a point where you need the Armory Models GBU-39's with the BRU-61/A carriage rack let me know, I have several sets. Again great work so far.

Thanks very much, greatly appreciated.

Steve

Progress update on the gunship,

I managed to get the cockpit assembled and added to the main floor. Since she'll be in flight the front instrument panel screens really should be "brighter" with power applied. I considered using some bright green paint but, didn't want to ruin things so I left it alone. As pieces were put in place I kept closing up the fuselage halves to check the fit of everything and, everything fit perfectly. I still need to come up with something for the crews HUD's and, the pilot's "side HUD", both of which are very noticeable when looking at the windshield.

Steve

(edited)_IMG_8004.png

(edited)_IMG_8005.png

(edited)_IMG_8006.png

I noticed on some of my reference pics there is a dome shape on the starboard side so, I sanded down one of the kit parts not being used for AC-130J version and glued it in place.

(edited)_IMG_8003.png

The engine nacelles and props were assembled, all this fit very, very well.

(edited)_IMG_8007.png

(edited)_IMG_8008.png

that dome is very easy to miss, good eye. Most of the pics are from the port side and when they're not, the dome is usually hidden by the fuel tanks. Gonna have to add that to my build.

Your figures look excellent, your hands are definitely steadier than mine! Is there a reason didn't you paint the camo for the aircrew, you'd definitely have the brush skills for that!