On 1/4/2024 at 6:11 PM, Illu said:

The photos that have been released show very clearly that the intakes are the correct depth.

i've seen those same pictures, and while they seem to show an adequate depth, and even GWH text states clearly that the fan depth is supposed to match the real plane, I'll reserve judgement until we have the plastic in hand.  Frankly, the Phase Hanger engine (intake and exhaust) upgrades for the 1/48 Academy A-10C are fantastically engineered  and accurate, and I'll be surprised to see if the details and measurements of the GWH kit are even as good.   And, the newer GWH kits  have tended to be extraordinarily expensive.  We'll see if the forthcoming A-10C is as accurate as implied, and at a price that will  make it a (relatively) good value.  This is no slam at GWH...I have many of their kits, the F-15c and E, and a bunch of the Su-27 series planes, and I hope this Warthog ends up as good as its promise!  However, while still waiting for this kit to hit the street, I did get another Academy A-10C (a really good deal!), plus the Phase Hangar corrections, in case the GWH ends up not so great.  I have 3 paint schemes i'd like to do anyway, so 3 planes would be just fine with me! 😊

Edited by Curt B
  • 1 month later...

viperbite, thanks for the links to the facebook pictures.  Since I happen to be working on the Academy A-10C  at the moment, it is a good time to compare the details. It appears that the GWH plastic has more prominent rivets and other surface details, which may be less than desirable, although the tail end of the fuselage, and the aileron details, look quite good and show more than the Academy kit does.  I'm guessing that it might actually take getting the plastic in-hand to determine which is 'better'.  I will certainly be getting the GWH kit...just hope it shows up sooner than later.

Edited by Curt B

IMG_20240115_083947.thumb.jpg.67e7b6123b69f485a116f7fd7da059d5.jpg

I think "we" are all hoping that the GWH may be the next "A-10C standard" by which all others may be judged. Minnimal need for AM, great fitting parts with little or no need for putty. Who knows?

I am glad to see another new tool of this airplane (my favorite of all time).

The above represents eight years of work and "burn out" from the Hobby Boss A-10A. Lots of scratch, AM, and bits from other A-10 kits at the time and it's very own "In Progress" thread here at ARC all those years ago (incomplete I am afraid). 

I guess what I am trying to say is not to get too excited because some folks always find something wrong but, isn't that some of the "core" drive of this hobby?...... fixing the "stuff" that's "not quite right." Just maybe, not so much stuff to fix.

I am looking forward to it!

Just finished reading Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War by William Smallwood for about the third time, and with all this hoopla regarding a new kit, I’m going to get one for sure. 

On 2/18/2024 at 6:55 PM, viperbite said:

That Aces II seat looks oversized and out of proportion like what they did with their F-15 series.  But the rest of the kit looks very good.

9 hours ago, viperbite said:

those posts were removed as we all can see that they are clearly misleading. Taking the same position as Dave Roof, I’m about ready to not buy this kit at all because of the crap being posted by this person.

5 hours ago, Whiskey said:

those posts were removed as we all can see that they are clearly misleading. Taking the same position as Dave Roof, I’m about ready to not buy this kit at all because of the crap being posted by this person.

Huh?

On 2/21/2024 at 5:49 PM, Whiskey said:

What are you talking about, what is "clearly misleading"?? That the engine nacelles are not properly aligned and the lower/academy ones are not fully assembled?? That may lead to wrong conclusion that the lower ones are too short, or the upper ones are too long?? Anyway, it is just a photo comparison, anyone can draw their own conclusions, the misalignment could be just an unfortunate mistake, no?? What is the problem. If you don't want to buy then don't buy, who cares??

To me the photos mainly shows the different shapes of the nacelle pylons, one is just much better than the other.

2 hours ago, Illu said:

You can't argue with these people.

These people? Care to clarify exactly what you mean by that?

My post about the pictures being clearly misleading is due to the fact that the individual making the comparisons intentionally made it look like the Academy kit is extremely off the mark and not right at all. That was part of the discussion noted by others within the linked posts on the ARC Facebook page that were removed.

13 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

These people? Care to clarify exactly what you mean by that?

My post about the pictures being clearly misleading is due to the fact that the individual making the comparisons intentionally made it look like the Academy kit is extremely off the mark and not right at all. That was part of the discussion noted by others within the linked posts on the ARC Facebook page that were removed.

No intent necessary as there is no misleading due to the fact that the Academy nacelle (Very unfortunately since it is an otherwise exquisite piece of tooling) is as you said, "extremely off the mark" where both inner shoulders are bulged each side opposite of the doghouse. A most difficult fix.

Sure, comparison photos are not really needed since the Academy bulges are one of those - once seen, cannot be unseen shape issues. Just good to see that GWH has not done the same. Still waiting to see the inlet, fan, and center cone, as well as the weapons pylons...

OK everyone  lets step back and take a breath.........The kit isnt even out yet.  Lets wait & see....Whether it addresses some of the main deficiencies of the Italeri & Academy 1/48 A-10's.

Lets all now build the old Monogram kit

Steve

Steve,

1 minute ago, scorvi said:

OK everyone  lets step back and take a breath.........The kit isnt even out yet.  Lets wait & see....Whether it addresses some of the main deficiencies of the Italeri & Academy 1/48 A-10's.

Lets all now build the old Monogram kit

Steve

Steve,

Ah yes, old faithful and cheap $$ here in the States. Just too bad it was never updated.

Well, the point about the Academy engine nacelles being bulged on the inboard side was a detail I'd completely missed until mentioned in this thread.  I've just completed priming mine, and ready to start laying down paint probably later today.  Frankly, that detail doesn't bother me, but it does look like the GWH kit has avoided that design/molding error.  It won't  stop me from completing my Academy plane, nor building a second one that I already have, but hoping that the GWH kit doesn't have any as yet unseen shape issues...but I agree with scorvi.  Let's get the GWH kit in hand and see what's there or isn't before making  a big issue about potential errors.

58 minutes ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Yay, the GWH kit is looking great so far - and agree the Academy kit is good.

Agreed on both sentiments, and going back on my own thought of holding off commentary until plastic is in-hand, that short vid shows what looks to be a truly excellent inlet fan, and ideal fan depth inside the nacelle.  And, if you watch carefully, you'll even see super short glimpses of light through the fan blades, promising even better engine structure than some of the aftermarket stuff for the Academy kit.

Edited by Curt B