My gmail feed had an ad from Ali Express for models at very low prices. (Academy A-10 for $35.00 for example)

I never heard of Ali Express, a little digging tells me it's a Chinese Company.

Are these legitimate models?  Chinese knockoffs?

Actually, for things like plastic models from known name brands, it’s probably legit, mostly because no one really fakes things like this.  Usually the fake stuff are things like purses, watches, etc.  I ordered a kit once from them, and it was legit, but really not interested in ordering anything else from them.

I've bought from Ali Express several times over the years, some of them knock-off toys, and I always received what I paid for.  There are lots of knock-off items listed on there but they are clearly listed as knockoffs or off brand. 

Legit brand items are sold on there but I have not found any real good savings buying those from Ali Express versus other online retailers.  For example, I was looking for Academy's new 1/72 F-14B model kit earlier this year, they were being sold for a somewhat reasonable price on Ali but I bought from another online retailer for a similar price instead.

23 minutes ago, Model-Junkie said:

I've bought from Ali Express several times over the years, some of them knock-off toys, and I always received what I paid for.  There are lots of knock-off items listed on there but they are clearly listed as knockoffs or off brand. 

Legit brand items are sold on there but I have not found any real good savings buying those from Ali Express versus other online retailers.  For example, I was looking for Academy's new 1/72 F-14B model kit earlier this year, they were being sold for a somewhat reasonable price on Ali but I bought from another online retailer for a similar price instead.

Thanks, they were advertising an Academy A-10C for $35.00 and free shipping. 

Ali Express is an overly popular internet marketplace here in Brazil, and provides similar services to Amazon, hosting shops and intermediating their sales for the final purchaser. Ali provides an amazing and wide range of products, most of them priced at competitive products. TI recently bought a Tamiya 1/48 F-4B at very competitive prices, you can also acquire paints and modelling tools, and all purchases are secured from Ali themselves, like Amazon does. They are also very good at seeling computer parts, lamps, clothes, you name it. If the product is Made in China, as a lot of things are today, they sell it, if it's made elsewhere, they also sell it. 

I'm an enthusiast buyer using Ali Express for my purchases and they provide very good services

Hope it helped

It is legit, like eBay but with fixed prices. $35 with free shipping for A-10 seems too good. I see it for ~$45 shipped with their "Choice" promo which makes more sense. They do have some kind of money back guarantee but fortunately I haven't had an opportunity to test it. Bought mostly small items like masks and tools so far. They do have decent prices on some Meng kits, others I checked don't stand any competition due to absolutely outrageous shipping charges. So just yet another marketplace.

Edited by Helmsman

I've ordered from Ali Express a few times with minimal hassle. The kit prices are good and I've only had an issue once where the kit arrived damaged due to poor packaging, but that's on the seller not the website. The shipping times are reasonable and you can find good buys. 

John

3 hours ago, Robert Garelli said:

Ali Express is basically Amazon for the Asian market. They are a big company and have been around for quite a while. They started out selling as a wholesaler of Chines produced products. They are trust worthy and you will get your item quickly, about 2 to 3 weeks depending. 

Pulled the trigger, let's see.

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought some resin stuff from Ali. It's recasts, or maybe factory seconds from brands like Aires, Legend, Live Resin, and others. The stuff I've gotten has lots of bubbles, lots of casting errors like mismatched mold halves or incomplete molds, and some other problems. I got some 1/35 stowage stuff for tanks, and out of a set of say 20 parts, maybe 12 are usable. I've gotten a couple figures as well, and they're okay. They need some work, but they're good for practicing painting. My personal policy is that I try not to spend more than $15 on anything from sites like Ali Express or Wish. It keeps me from getting screwed too badly.

Edited by RedHeadKevin
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 7:34 AM, Da SWO said:

My gmail feed had an ad from Ali Express for models at very low prices. (Academy A-10 for $35.00 for example)

I never heard of Ali Express, a little digging tells me it's a Chinese Company.

Are these legitimate models?  Chinese knockoffs?

If you are still in the market for the Academy A-10, Lucky Model have it in stock AND a 20% off coupon too.

I ordered some "Bandai" (knockoff) 1/12 droids for $21, and I just received them.  The plastic isn't bad, it looks like a pretty good copy of the Bandai kits. It's branded as a "Nuclear Models" kit. But the box art is a dead giveaway that they're not authentic Bandai.

20231012_192812.jpg

On 10/12/2023 at 12:57 AM, Alternative 4 said:

If you are still in the market for the Academy A-10, Lucky Model have it in stock AND a 20% off coupon too.

Lucky Model lost most of its appeal after raising shipping costs. This might not be their fault but this is the way it is. That 20% off coupon translates into just $7 off with minimum $160 spend and $25 shipping.

4 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

LM can be OK if you use a coupon and local shipping from a warehouse in your country.  However, you usually have to wait months for kits to make it to the local warehouse.

I haven't experienced months, my last order from them only took 3 weeks.

16 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

You ordered from Hong Kong, or from their local warehouse in the U.S.?  And was this a new kit just released, or a kit that was out for a while when you ordered?

It came from Hong Kong it was the Etendard kit from Kinetic that has been out for a little while. Even when I order other items from HK, Japan,Taiwan or Australia, I usually get my items with-in 2-3 weeks never had to wait longer than a month. 

When ordering from AE, don't fall for the x-day guaranteed delivery. I was supposed to get my item in 12 days, but it didnt leave china for 12 or 13 days. In fairness tho,  it was free delivery and it didn't take much longer than normal coming from there.

1 hour ago, Robert Garelli said:

It came from Hong Kong it was the Etendard kit from Kinetic that has been out for a little while. Even when I order other items from HK, Japan,Taiwan or Australia, I usually get my items with-in 2-3 weeks never had to wait longer than a month. 

My point was that local shipping from the U.S. warehouse is cheaper, and if you want to get a kit from the local warehouse, it usually takes a while for them to move stock to the U.S. warehouse.  When the kits are released, they usually show up in their HK warehouse first.

1 hour ago, goondman said:

When ordering from AE, don't fall for the x-day guaranteed delivery. I was supposed to get my item in 12 days, but it didnt leave china for 12 or 13 days. In fairness tho,  it was free delivery and it didn't take much longer than normal coming from there.

It looks they are offering a coupon if it comes 5 days after their guaranteed delivery.  Did they give you your coupon?